A question about OLD rules

Hello, all,
just out of curiosity: was there a time when Remove Soul, which then read
like "Counter target SUMMON spell" could not counter Artifact Creature
spells? I noticed that Microprose's Shandalar game behaves like that...

Regards,
Arkady.

Arkady Zilberberg <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello, all,
>just out of curiosity: was there a time when Remove Soul, which then read
>like "Counter target SUMMON spell" could not counter Artifact Creature
>spells? I noticed that Microprose's Shandalar game behaves like that...

Let me check: Yes.

Remove Soul:
Only works on Summon cards. Cannot counter an Artifact creature or spell
which brings a creature into play but which does not say "Summon" under
the picture. [bethmo 6/15/94]

(from the Legends rulings summary dated 4/24/95, which I have squirreled
away in http://www.vic.com/~dbd/NFd/answers.old/ ...)

Which is what I thought I remembered, but it's been long enough I wasn't
sure. Packrattery triumphs again!

Dave

Arkady Zilberberg wrote:

> Hello, all,
> just out of curiosity: was there a time when Remove Soul, which then read
> like "Counter target SUMMON spell" could not counter Artifact Creature
> spells? I noticed that Microprose's Shandalar game behaves like that...
>
> Regards,
> Arkady.

Yes, this actually used to be the case. Back when creature spells were
summon spells, stuff that affected them didn't affect artifact creature
spells because they weren't summon spells. I used to have an Urzatron
deck with artifact creatures and Soul Barriers; Soul Barrier affected
my opponent's summons but not my ACs (had a few rules arguments with
people who didn't understand that). But there are no longer such
things as summon spells, just creature spells, and Remove Soul now reads
that it counters target CREATURE spell (and Soul Barrier now interferes
with creature spells). So nowadays, Remove Soul counters artifact
creature spells just fine.
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"