Badger86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Though not entirley sure how I would setup such a system (HDTV far away from computer, and other issues that are of no interest to anyone) what the AIW cards offer seems tres cool. My question is: Is there added benefits to the AIW 9800 pro over the 9700 pro besides the obvious speed? If I am more then happy with the 9700pro's graphic abilities am I losing anything by not going with the 9800pro? atic.ca is offering both AIW cards for excellent prices ($540 and $470CDN), the 9800pro AIW is only $25CDN more then the regular 9800pro how crazy is that, so if someone offers I should get the regular card with the ATI wonder or whatever... well it seems pointless financially :p

Now I was keeping money stored away for a new 19" but I may divert that money to a AIW. However it seems sad having the TV abilities on a 14" piece of [-peep-]... thus if anyone knows of a decent 19" for a decent price that information is valuable too.

Finally, I had not intended on buying a graphics card because I am content with my ti4400 as well I am a little hazy on the new batch of graphics cards, ie. when they are coming, when are price cuts coming and will the new boys have capabilities I will regret not having? *did I hear something about a dx 9.1? So alas this has turned into a very broad question on graphics cards and feature enhancements of the AIW 9800pro over 9700pro. Actually hell if people dont think the AIW are worth it I want to know that too.

ps. reviews had said setting it up could be as easy as hooking up the vcr to the tv... well with the crazy setup i have that was quite the struggle... ie. is this a confusing assembly?

cleeve

Illustrious
The AIW are, in my opinion, not worth it.

First, get a nice 9700 PRO;

Then, get an HDTV component out adapter (probably around 50 extra bucks, so you can take advantage of sweet high HDTV resolution on your HDTV);

Now you have everything you need to use your computer through your HDTV setup. You can play games or watch DVDs if you have a DVD player on your system.

If you want to have the AIW functions, like an integrated TV tuner, you can buy a separate "TV Wonder" card from Ati that lets you do that stuff, too. And they're cheap, like less than $100.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

Badger86

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I would understand your point normally but as I say the AIW are avaiable for cheaper then the card + tuner. Ie. 9700pro is $420CDN and the AIW 9700pro is $470CDN. Then regular 9800pro $500CDN the AIW $540CDN. The tuner is $90CDN which is more then the $50 extra for the AIW 9700pro or the $40 extra for the AIW 9800pro.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
While component video is "best", the svideo cable carries the same signals as far as I know. I suppose having thinner wires allows it to loose some signal strength, and perhaps their's a bit of cross-talk with them bundled together. But it should work.

Another option would be if your TV has a VGA or DVI connector on it to use that. Everyone says "no no, that's not what it's made for". Well, the DVI connector has the same frequency as your TV, so that would work with no added setup, just set the resolution to fit your TV. And the VGA would work on other TVs as long as you make certain you set it to 60Hz first. But then again, you probably have neither on YOUR TV...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>