rules questions

Couple rules questions:
1. If someone has a Words of Waste can they pay the activation cost at
anytime to skip their next draw? Or does it only work when you are
about to draw a card? Example: My freind activated his Words of Waste
on his turn to skip his next turn's draw, can he do that?

2. If I do lethal damage to a player, does he die before he can play
Reciprocate on my creature?

3. After I steal a creature with Cunning Bandit can it attack that turn
or does it have summoning sickness when it comes to my side?

that's it for now
thanks

I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
said...
> Couple rules questions:
> 1. If someone has a Words of Waste can they pay the activation cost at
> anytime to skip their next draw? Or does it only work when you are
> about to draw a card? Example: My freind activated his Words of Waste
> on his turn to skip his next turn's draw, can he do that?

You can activate it ahead of time, but not in the specific way your
opponent tried.

Words of Waste (Onslaught rare)
2BB
Enchantment
1: The next time you would draw a card this turn, each opponent discards
a card instead.

Note that it says the next time you would draw a card *this turn*. So
you can activate it pretty far ahead of time, but you can't activate it
on a different turn than you plan on using it.

> 2. If I do lethal damage to a player, does he die before he can play
> Reciprocate on my creature?

It depends exactly what you mean by "do lethal damage". If whatever
spell, ability or attack did the damage has already resolved, it's too
late - that player loses the game as a state-based effect before he
would have a chance to do anything else. However, he can play spells or
abilities in response to you announcing such a thing, *before* it
actually goes off. Now, let's see the specific card you're asking about:

Reciprocate (Champions of Kamigawa uncommon)
Instant
Remove from the game target creature that dealt damage to you this turn.

If it's pointed at the same creature that dealt the lethal damage to
that player (I'm guessing that's what you meant, but it's not actually
clear from the question) then no, the player loses before he would have
a chance to use this.

> 3. After I steal a creature with Cunning Bandit can it attack that turn
> or does it have summoning sickness when it comes to my side?

Cunning Bandit (Betrayers of Kamigawa uncommon)
1RR
Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever you play a Spirit or Arcane spell, you may put a ki counter on
Cunning Bandit.
At end of turn, if there are two or more ki counters on Cunning Bandit,
you may flip it.
----FLIPPED VERSION----
Azamuki, Treachery Incarnate
Legendary Creature =3F Spirit
5/2
Remove a ki counter from Azamuki, Treachery Incarnate: Gain control of
target creature until end of turn.

Unlike most such temporary creature-stealing effects, Azamuki does not
give the creature Haste. Therefore, it does have summoning sickness
(technically an obsolete term, but no worries, everyone and his duck
still uses it anyway) and can't attack. The best use for this ability is
usually clearing the way of blockers.

On 24 Feb 2005 20:49:45 -0800, snu0037@aol.com <snu0037@aol.com> wrote:
>Couple rules questions:
>1. If someone has a Words of Waste can they pay the activation cost at
>anytime to skip their next draw?

Yes. It has an activated ability; you may use that ability any time you have
priority, and on resolution it sets up a 'replacement shield' which lasts
for the given duration, or until used, whichever comes first:

1: The next time you would draw a card this turn, each opponent discards a card
instead.

You may set up as many of these shields as you can pay for; the next time this
turn you would draw a card, you pick one of the shields to apply, and once
you've applied it you're no longer drawing a card, so the rest don't apply and
sit around and wait for the -next- time this turn you would draw. (And any
unused ones quietly expire, along with any other "this turn"/"until end of
turn" effects, during Cleanup step.)

>Or does it only work when you are about to draw a card?

Once you've made the shield, the shield itself only works right before you
would draw. But _making_ the shield is not something you can do "just before
you draw a card" - you use the ability whose effect makes the shield just like
you use any other activated ability, announcing it and paying the cost, having
it wait on the stack for responses, and resolving it to have its effect occur
(which is "make the shield").

>Example: My freind activated his Words of Waste
>on his turn to skip his next turn's draw, can he do that?

Nope. Why? Because it says "the next time THIS TURN". He can certainly use it
on his turn if he wants - but he can't do so "to skip his next turn's draw",
because the shield won't LAST that long. What he wants to do, instead, is
use it during his turn's UPKEEP step, before he draws as his draw step starts.

[In case what you meant to type, but didn't, was "to skip his next draw this
turn", then sure, he can do that just fine. But that's not actually what you
wrote...]

>2. If I do lethal damage to a player, does he die before he can play
>Reciprocate on my creature?

If the lethal damage gets DEALT, then the player will lose before he can do
anything else, as a state-based effect right after whatever is resolving to
deal the damage is done resolving. But: generally, he will have a chance to
_respond to_ the combat damage, spell, or ability that's going to damage him
when it resolves, while it's still on the stack.
However, with Reciprocate, that doesn't help: "Remove from the game target
creature that dealt damage to you this turn.". You can't pick a legal target
for this spell until AFTER the damage involved has been dealt ... and if that
damage causes you to lose the game, you don't get a chance "after the damage
has been dealt but before you lose the game" to do anything at all. No spells
or abilities are legal to play between "something finishes resolving off the
stack" and 'state-based effects are checked for'.
So: yes, he loses before he can play Reciprocate targetting the creature
that lethally damaged him. He would have a chance -before- the lethal damage
resolved to play, say, Healing Salve or some other thing to prevent or
redirect the damage-to-be... but Reciprocate isn't such a spell.

>3. After I steal a creature with Cunning Bandit can it attack that turn
>or does it have summoning sickness when it comes to my side?

It is 'sick'. You won't be able to attack with it until it has started YOUR
turn in play under your control. Things get 'sick' on coming into play and
on changing controllers; things stop being 'sick' as their current controller's
turn (not "upkeep") starts; and only creatures CARE whether they are currently
'sick' or not.

Dave