Bye in Swiss pairing system

Last response: in Video Games
February 26, 2005 6:36:15 PM

Hi!
The DCI "Swiss-Style Pairing System" says, that bye counts as two game
wins and one match win. Does it mean, that not only the "Byed" player
gets 3 points, but also a 2-0 game result and additional 2 games played
towards counting game-win percentage?
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 6:36:16 PM

Piotr Lopaciuk <piolop@o2.pl> writes:
> The DCI "Swiss-Style Pairing System" says, that bye counts as two game
> wins and one match win.

Yes. The leftover player plays against nobody, and wins very quickly
and easily :) .

> Does it mean, that not only the "Byed" player gets 3 points, but
> also a 2-0 game result and additional 2 games played towards
> counting game-win percentage?

If you mean the player's own game-win percentage, that looks right to
me. The Tiebreakers document available on the Tournament Organizers
part of the DCI's web site says:

,----[ DCI Tiebreakers <http://www.wizards.com/dci/downloads/Tiebreakers.pdf&gt; ]
| Byes: When a player is assigned a bye for a round, he or she is
| considered to have won the match 2-0. Thus, that player earns 3
| match points and 6 game points. A player's byes are ignored when
| computing his or her opponents' match-win percentage and opponents'
| game-win percentage.
`----

Since it lists opponents' match-win and game win, but not player's own
game-win, I read that as meaning that byes do in fact affect the
player's game-win percentage.

--
Peter C.
"I have discovered a strange level of sleep deprivation in which I do