Extraplanar Lens & Snow Covered Lands

I asked a few people, including a level one judge, and they tell me
that if I imprint a snow covered island with the lens it will still
give my opponent's normal islands the additional mana production. I
don't understand why...they have tried to explain it to me but I guess
i'm just dumb. Could one of you guys offer an explination? Ide really
apreciate it.

I did a post on snow covered lands before, and it sounded like this
would work, so I was thrown off when I was told it wouldn't.

NerdZilla wrote:

> I asked a few people, including a level one judge, and they tell me
> that if I imprint a snow covered island with the lens it will still
> give my opponent's normal islands the additional mana production.

They are wrong.

> don't understand why...they have tried to explain it to me but I guess
> i'm just dumb. Could one of you guys offer an explination? Ide really
> apreciate it.

You are correct. I have given the explanation below as to why this
is so.

> I did a post on snow covered lands before, and it sounded like this
> would work, so I was thrown off when I was told it wouldn't.

Extraplanar Lens
3
Artifact
Imprint - When Extraplanar Lens comes into play, you may remove target land
you control from the game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.)
Whenever a land with the same name as the imprinted card is tapped for mana,
its controller adds one mana to his or her mana pool of any type that land
produced.

The name of the card is what is printed in the upper left-hand corer.
The name of the card "Snow-Covered Island" is "Snow-Covered Island". It
is an Island, but that's not its *name*. The name of the card "Island",
on the other hand, *is* "Island". So if you imprint a Snow-Covered Island
on an Extraplanar Lens, Islands in play do not get the mana bonus because
they don't have the same name. Only Snow-Covered Islands get the bonus,
because only they are named "Snow-Covered Island".
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On 26 Feb 2005 13:34:31 -0800, NerdZilla <Nertak@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I asked a few people, including a level one judge, and they tell me
>that if I imprint a snow covered island with the lens it will still
>give my opponent's normal islands the additional mana production. I
>don't understand why...they have tried to explain it to me but I guess
>i'm just dumb. Could one of you guys offer an explination? Ide really
>apreciate it.

Okay: the people you asked aren't reading the card, and are giving you the
wrong answer. (I know, you wanted an explanation for why what they were telling
you works, but I can't give that because it doesn't work.)

Extraplanar Lens 3 Artifact
Imprint - When ~ comes into play, you may remove target land you control from
the game. (*) / Whenever a land with the same name as the imprinted card is
tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana to his or her mana pool of any
type that land produced.

Now if it said "a land that shares a land type with the..." their explanation
would work fine. But it doesn't say that; instead, it checks the NAME of the
imprinted card. And "Snow-covered Island" is not the same name as "Island".

I note that Snow-covered lands are not currently legal in any DCI -tournament-
type other than Type I, Type 1.5, and Ice Age block; if your friends are
using them in their decks, they are not Type II-legal or Extended-legal decks.
If your friends are using them because they like how they look, they do need
to know that they've got disadvantages as well as the looks advantage.

>I did a post on snow covered lands before, and it sounded like this
>would work, so I was thrown off when I was told it wouldn't.

It doesn't, because Extraplanar Lens cares about the actual name of the
imprinted card.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS