Cannot move or delete file

I have been clearing out a file sharing program ( yes I know serves me right)
and dropping a lot of incomplete and unwanted movie clips into the recycle
bin for deletion. However four files have got stuck on the desktop when I try
to move them I get this message-

" cannot delete ( file name) it is in use by another programme or person
close any programmes that might be running and try again"

However no likely programmes are running and I am the only user on this
pooter.
Am I stuck with this rubbish forever?
Should I use task manager and close processes one at a time and try to
delete the files after each one? Is this safe?

Please help
Czechmate
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot move delete file

    try rebooting and deleting,
    if no go google for a program called
    moveonboot

    "Czechmate" <Czechmate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been clearing out a file sharing program ( yes I know serves me
    >right)
    > and dropping a lot of incomplete and unwanted movie clips into the recycle
    > bin for deletion. However four files have got stuck on the desktop when I
    > try
    > to move them I get this message-
    >
    > " cannot delete ( file name) it is in use by another programme or person
    > close any programmes that might be running and try again"
    >
    > However no likely programmes are running and I am the only user on this
    > pooter.
    > Am I stuck with this rubbish forever?
    > Should I use task manager and close processes one at a time and try to
    > delete the files after each one? Is this safe?
    >
    > Please help
    > Czechmate

Windows XP