Icons not staying in task bar

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop.
It's running Windows xp with SP-2
running SP-2 firewall
running Avast anti-virus

I want to see the Power & sound Icons on the task bar like I did before SP-2
update.

When turning on, only the clock and Avast show in the task bar.
I can go to Control panel and uncheck "always show icon on the task bar",
then apply, then recheck and apply and then they show in the task bar, UNTIL
I turn off the computer or reboot.

Is there a cure?
Thanks
Tom J
2 answers Last reply
More about icons staying task

    Tom J wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop.
    > It's running Windows xp with SP-2
    > running SP-2 firewall
    > running Avast anti-virus
    >
    > I want to see the Power & sound Icons on the task bar like I did
    > before SP-2 update.
    >
    > When turning on, only the clock and Avast show in the task bar.
    > I can go to Control panel and uncheck "always show icon on the task
    > bar", then apply, then recheck and apply and then they show in the
    > task bar, UNTIL I turn off the computer or reboot.
    >
    > Is there a cure?
    > Thanks
    > Tom J

    This is a known problem with XP with automatic logon (boots right to
    Windows, no password). See microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize for
    possible solutions. One solution is to do nothing for a while and see
    if the problem resolves itself.

    I posted with the same problem some time ago and there was no real response.
    I did apply a vbs fix to restore the volume icon from one of the MVP's
    pages, and it worked, went away and worked again. Now it appears that they
    appear and reappear at random intervals. SP2 has given them Artificial
    Intelligence and they are confounding the cr*p out of me!

    I just checked my I5150 and the battery indicator icon is NOT in the system
    tray. It was there a day or two ago and will likely reappear when it feels
    like it.
    All we can do is wait until someone finds a fix. I am not going to create a
    password just to see the icons. What I did was drag a shortcut to the
    quicklaunch toolbar and I double click it every so often to check power
    status. It is NOT a fix, but it works.
    Regards
    Morey

    > Tom J wrote:
    >> I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop.
    >> It's running Windows xp with SP-2
    >> running SP-2 firewall
    >> running Avast anti-virus
    >>
    >> I want to see the Power & sound Icons on the task bar like I did
    >> before SP-2 update.
    >>
    >> When turning on, only the clock and Avast show in the task bar.
    >> I can go to Control panel and uncheck "always show icon on the task
    >> bar", then apply, then recheck and apply and then they show in the
    >> task bar, UNTIL I turn off the computer or reboot.
    >>
    >> Is there a cure?
    >> Thanks
    >> Tom J
    >
    > This is a known problem with XP with automatic logon (boots right to
    > Windows, no password). See microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize for
    > possible solutions. One solution is to do nothing for a while and see if
    > the problem resolves itself.

Dell Icons Computers