problem with FX5900

jleslie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
Hi all, first post here. I just installed a GeForce FX5900 (standard, 128mb). When I booted up into Windows for the first time (XP Home) it finds the card no problem. Next time I boot up the computer, under Device Manager it has the yellow flag with exclamation point for GeForce FX5900. It says that it is not present. I uninstall it, use the add new hardware wizard, and again it finds it no problem. Latest drivers for 5900, and also latest MOBO AGP driver.

I also get BSOD with a MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR 0x09C not every time, but most times when running 3D games. The BSOD doesn't come on initially, and there is no one thing that sets it off. Also, my old GeForce 3 Ti500 which used to run perfectly, now has same symptoms as 5900. Added 2 case fans, however, when I bought the 5900. Wondering if my power supply is stretched to the limit...

My gut feeling is problem with motherboard (ECS K7S5A). I know, K7S5A only has AGP 4X, but it should still find the card upon reboot. Also wondering if power supply is maybe not sufficient (Antec 350W). (2 hard drives, 2 CD's, 4 case fans, also the 5900 has a power cable plug in too.)
CPU: Athlon 2400, does the same with Athlon 1400 too. RAM sticks are brand new.

Any ideas?

Jeff L

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I have a K7S5A....nothing but problems lately that werent there at first. Sometimes the bios sets itself back to default, for no reason at all. Sometimes when I boot up, it doesnt find my USB intellimouse explorer, I have to unplug it, and then plug it back in. I dont know if the problems your experiencing are the fault of the motherboard, or your power supply. Maybe neither. We both know that this motherboard sucks though. It is number one on my list of things to replace.....good luck:)

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.

G

Im running a FX5900 on a true power 380 from antec. Everything is stable with 3HD 2optic drives and a P4 2.6c and 2 case fan. So I think your PSU should handle it at 350whatt with an Athlon CPU...
Maybe its the motherboard, have you tried both drivers from nvidia and from the manufacturer?

jleslie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
Yep, I've tried the newest drivers. I have another motherboard I've been trying to get to work to no avail, an Asus A7N8X, and I'm wondering if I didn't screw something up on the old board swapping stuff back and forth. Dude, I shoulda got a Dell.

Thanks,

Jeff L

jleslie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
Hmmm, interesting. I've had this K7S5A for about a year and a half, and I only started having problems with it recently when I started fiddling with swapping stuff in and out to another newer board that I can't get to work at all. The K7S5A actually ran very stable for me until now. I'm thinking it's a pretty fragile board, I should be able to swap out stuff on it without fear of it breaking as long as I am careful with static and stuff. My gut feeling is that I damaged something on the board during a swap out.

Thanks,

Jeff L

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
LOL!! Dell's suck major C&B, don't even think about it!
If a part is messed up, RMA it, if its a different problem solve it (and get help, such as that from this board) but don't EVER say you should've gotten a Dell!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd