SPEAKERS PICKING UP RADIO FREQUENCY

My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
13 answers Last reply
More about speakers picking radio frequency

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:19:14 -0600, <loripowell26@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
    >heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!

    It could be coming in on the power line, in which case a lo-pass
    filter might help. Your local electronics store probably sells them.
    Just tell them you have an RFI problem. A good ground is essential to
    minimizing Radio Frequency Interference. (The third prong on your AC
    plug.)

    Or it could be your speaker wires. You could try switching to shielded
    cable.

    Keeping interconnecting cables as short as possible also helps.

    Isis

    i had the same experience with my wireless router, if you have one, change
    the channel...get country

    --
    "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

    In article <ekU0ToOJFHA.2628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
    Budget Print Center <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote:
    >i had the same experience with my wireless router, if you have one, change
    >the channel...get country
    >
    >--
    >"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    >knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
    >someone with more"
    >

    ><loripowell26@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
    >> heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!

    I assume you live near a high powered radio facility. I had a similar
    problem as our offices were ling-of-site of some high power TV/FM antennas
    and we got commercial radio out of the PC speaker that came with the PCs.
    With trial and error we found a model that didn't pick up the interferance.

    Cost isn't the issue. The speakers that _did_ work didn't cost any
    more than the ones that didn;t (~$15US)

    Also, we think we were listening to AM radio but we were close to
    FM/TV transmitters. The nearest AM station was several miles away. I
    have a theory about how the strong signal drove some circuitry
    non-linear and functioned as a detector for an AM signal.
    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    That's where digital (USB) speakers might come in handy?
    I imagine they would use a choke to get rid of the AC signals creeping
    in the line. Might be worth a try.

    I had that problem once, after many months of this and that and good moneys
    spent at radio shack on doohickeys I unplugged the speakers only to hear it
    coming from the tiny little Tower Speaker - only solution was to unplug the
    towers power or remove the tower speaker..

    loripowell26@bellsouth.net schrieb:
    > My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
    > heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!

    this means you have Problems with radio interference. I am answering
    from Germany so I dont know the correct terms, but i try.
    Take everey cable of your speakers and wind it near the case three or
    four times trough a amidon ferrite rong core. Ask for radio amateurs
    (Hams) which can help you. Look at http://www.arrl.org (for America or
    same organisation for other countries or http://www.rsgb.org in England

    best wishes and good luck Bernd DH4MBM

    thank you for that post... A ham operator would know how to eliminate radio
    interference...

    --

    "Budget Print Center" wrote:

    > thank you for that post... A ham operator
    > would know how to eliminate radio
    > interference... (snip)

    Ham (Amateur Radio) operators are private individuals licensed by the FCC
    to build and/or operate radio equipment, including high powered radio
    equipment, communications satellites, and more. As such, their license
    exams, and the federal regulations governing that radio service, cover radio
    interference very thoroughly.

    Stewart

    agreed, my brother is certified and i'm considering such myself..not sure
    which is a more expensive hobby..Ham radio or computer junkie..

    --

    "Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message

    > "Budget Print Center" wrote:
    > >
    > > thank you for that post... A ham operator
    > > would know how to eliminate radio
    > > interference... (snip)
    >

    > Ham (Amateur Radio) operators are private individuals licensed by the
    FCC
    > to build and/or operate radio equipment, including high powered radio
    > equipment, communications satellites, and more. As such, their license
    > exams, and the federal regulations governing that radio service, cover
    radio
    > interference very thoroughly.
    >
    > Stewart

    loripowell26@bellsouth.net wrote:

    > My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
    > heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!

    Learn Spanish.

    "Budget Print Center" wrote:

    > agreed, my brother is certified and i'm
    > considering such myself..not sure which
    > is a more expensive hobby..Ham radio
    > or computer junkie..

    If one goes beyond the basics, ham radio is without a doubt more
    expensive. A new handheld radio can cost as much as $750. And a new,
    multi-band HF/VHF/UHF, fixed station radio can easily exceed $5000 or $6000
    for a full installation (radio, antennas, masts or towers, and so on).
    However, if one if willing to accept some limits, cheaper radios can
    certainly be found. And, of course, there are some outstanding bargains in
    used equipment, allowing for wide communications capabilities for under
    $1000.

    Stewart
  12. I am having the same problem...I am getting a Mexican station and it seems to be getting louder and louder. It doesn't matter if you turn the volume up and down there is a constant signal going through....The problem is not the speakers or where they are placed or how cheap or expensive they are...I have theatre quality speakers with have duty wires...The problem is that the FCC requires all radio stations register their signals through the FCC and not to broadcast through open channels...Unfortunately some stations do not follow these laws and are broadcasting without the regulations of the FCC...Unfortunately a lot of these are Spanish speaking and religious stations...I have called the FCC and they just don't have the time to investigate every home and identify which stations are broadcasting illegally....so for many of us we are stuck with these signals unless more of us complain to the FCC...Other stations follow the law but many don't...Some unfortunately are also broadcasting from Baja, CA where they are not subject to U.S. FCC Regulations. Perhaps more peopl should complain to the FCC.
  13. Quote:

    That's where digital (USB) speakers might come in handy?
    I imagine they would use a choke to get rid of the AC signals creeping
    in the line. Might be worth a try.

    I tried that...it doesn't work.

Speakers Radio Microsoft Windows XP