Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SPEAKERS PICKING UP RADIO FREQUENCY

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:19:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!

More about : speakers picking radio frequency

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:19:14 -0600, <loripowell26@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
>heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
>

It could be coming in on the power line, in which case a lo-pass
filter might help. Your local electronics store probably sells them.
Just tell them you have an RFI problem. A good ground is essential to
minimizing Radio Frequency Interference. (The third prong on your AC
plug.)

Or it could be your speaker wires. You could try switching to shielded
cable.

Keeping interconnecting cables as short as possible also helps.

Isis
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:57:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

i had the same experience with my wireless router, if you have one, change
the channel...get country

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
someone with more"


<loripowell26@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:o 8%23nFVOJFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
> heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:21:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <ekU0ToOJFHA.2628@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
Budget Print Center <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote:
>i had the same experience with my wireless router, if you have one, change
>the channel...get country
>
>--
>"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
>knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
>someone with more"
>
>
><loripowell26@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>news:o 8%23nFVOJFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
>> heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
>>
>>
>
>


I assume you live near a high powered radio facility. I had a similar
problem as our offices were ling-of-site of some high power TV/FM antennas
and we got commercial radio out of the PC speaker that came with the PCs.
With trial and error we found a model that didn't pick up the interferance.

Cost isn't the issue. The speakers that _did_ work didn't cost any
more than the ones that didn;t (~$15US)

Also, we think we were listening to AM radio but we were close to
FM/TV transmitters. The nearest AM station was several miles away. I
have a theory about how the strong signal drove some circuitry
non-linear and functioned as a detector for an AM signal.
--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:21:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

That's where digital (USB) speakers might come in handy?
I imagine they would use a choke to get rid of the AC signals creeping
in the line. Might be worth a try.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:08:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I had that problem once, after many months of this and that and good moneys
spent at radio shack on doohickeys I unplugged the speakers only to hear it
coming from the tiny little Tower Speaker - only solution was to unplug the
towers power or remove the tower speaker..

<loripowell26@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:o 8%23nFVOJFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
> heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:01:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

loripowell26@bellsouth.net schrieb:
> My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
> heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
>
>
this means you have Problems with radio interference. I am answering
from Germany so I dont know the correct terms, but i try.
Take everey cable of your speakers and wind it near the case three or
four times trough a amidon ferrite rong core. Ask for radio amateurs
(Hams) which can help you. Look at http://www.arrl.org (for America or
same organisation for other countries or http://www.rsgb.org in England

best wishes and good luck Bernd DH4MBM
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

thank you for that post... A ham operator would know how to eliminate radio
interference...

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
someone with more"


"Bernd" <MCSE-Kurs@muell.de> wrote in message
news:uhSx2aeJFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> loripowell26@bellsouth.net schrieb:
> > My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
> > heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!
> >
> >
> this means you have Problems with radio interference. I am answering
> from Germany so I dont know the correct terms, but i try.
> Take everey cable of your speakers and wind it near the case three or
> four times trough a amidon ferrite rong core. Ask for radio amateurs
> (Hams) which can help you. Look at http://www.arrl.org (for America or
> same organisation for other countries or http://www.rsgb.org in England
>
> best wishes and good luck Bernd DH4MBM
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:01:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Budget Print Center" wrote:
>
> thank you for that post... A ham operator
> would know how to eliminate radio
> interference... (snip)


Ham (Amateur Radio) operators are private individuals licensed by the FCC
to build and/or operate radio equipment, including high powered radio
equipment, communications satellites, and more. As such, their license
exams, and the federal regulations governing that radio service, cover radio
interference very thoroughly.

Stewart
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:08:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

agreed, my brother is certified and i'm considering such myself..not sure
which is a more expensive hobby..Ham radio or computer junkie..

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
someone with more"


"Dwight Stewart" <stewartx@NOearthlinkSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:1erYd.1380$qW.999@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Budget Print Center" wrote:
> >
> > thank you for that post... A ham operator
> > would know how to eliminate radio
> > interference... (snip)
>
>
> Ham (Amateur Radio) operators are private individuals licensed by the
FCC
> to build and/or operate radio equipment, including high powered radio
> equipment, communications satellites, and more. As such, their license
> exams, and the federal regulations governing that radio service, cover
radio
> interference very thoroughly.
>
> Stewart
>
>
March 14, 2005 4:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

loripowell26@bellsouth.net wrote:

> My speakers are picking up a mexican radio station and it's annoying as
> heck. What can I do? Somebody must know!

Learn Spanish.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:50:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Budget Print Center" wrote:
>
> agreed, my brother is certified and i'm
> considering such myself..not sure which
> is a more expensive hobby..Ham radio
> or computer junkie..


If one goes beyond the basics, ham radio is without a doubt more
expensive. A new handheld radio can cost as much as $750. And a new,
multi-band HF/VHF/UHF, fixed station radio can easily exceed $5000 or $6000
for a full installation (radio, antennas, masts or towers, and so on).
However, if one if willing to accept some limits, cheaper radios can
certainly be found. And, of course, there are some outstanding bargains in
used equipment, allowing for wide communications capabilities for under
$1000.

Stewart
June 17, 2009 1:20:56 PM

I am having the same problem...I am getting a Mexican station and it seems to be getting louder and louder. It doesn't matter if you turn the volume up and down there is a constant signal going through....The problem is not the speakers or where they are placed or how cheap or expensive they are...I have theatre quality speakers with have duty wires...The problem is that the FCC requires all radio stations register their signals through the FCC and not to broadcast through open channels...Unfortunately some stations do not follow these laws and are broadcasting without the regulations of the FCC...Unfortunately a lot of these are Spanish speaking and religious stations...I have called the FCC and they just don't have the time to investigate every home and identify which stations are broadcasting illegally....so for many of us we are stuck with these signals unless more of us complain to the FCC...Other stations follow the law but many don't...Some unfortunately are also broadcasting from Baja, CA where they are not subject to U.S. FCC Regulations. Perhaps more peopl should complain to the FCC.
June 17, 2009 1:25:13 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

That's where digital (USB) speakers might come in handy?
I imagine they would use a choke to get rid of the AC signals creeping
in the line. Might be worth a try.



I tried that...it doesn't work.
!