Dec 28, 2001
Hi

System is

Win XP pro
Athlon 2500xp+
Radeon 9800 pro
1024Mb DDR 333 Ram
Abit NF7 Mobo

Just playing Blackhawk Down and my screen froze then rebooted.
After the Reboot a window appeared saying an Instability had appeared in my Radeon 9800 Pro and it had failed Drawing something.Download the latest drivers etc etc.

I'm using Catalyst 3.6.
Is'nt that the newest?

So whats the problem?

Thanx

What's your PSU? and What kind of ventilation are you using?

And yes the Cat 3.6s are the latest (newest) ones.

Need more info. What are your Mobo, and Control panel settings too BTW?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
I'm begining to think it might be the PSU.
It's only 300W and perhaps with all the
Power needed for everything a shortfall happened.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
mullet i thought ur a nVidiot................. anyways power is probably the issue here, get a 430W at least......I recommand Antec(Crashman is going to smack me) Enermax (Crashman is going to smack me) or Forton(Crashman is going to pat me on the back)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

cbarger

Distinguished
May 18, 2001
I had bought a HP and it only had a 250 PSU. I put my r9800pro in and the same thing happend. So I out a 350 PSU and no problems anymore. Also running P4 2600 1.5 gig 3200 ram.. #350 would be plenty...

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
It,s not the darn PSU this comes from the old AMD PSU problems,why ever one come up with this crap ever time there is a problem.If you getting a failed Drawing it is a driver related problem and nothing else,go back to your latest drivers untill they get the new ones.That is why I stay with Nivdia,even through they have room for improvement it,s still better than ATI at present time in MY VIEW.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
uninstall and reinstall Direct X, make sure you get DX 9.0a (or the 9.0b beta if u want).

If you failed a drawing test sounds like a DX problem.

However Sharkmeat, you dumbass, the power supply very well could be an issue, even if it is totally seperate from failing the drawing test. Go to hell now Mr. Fargotman.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

And I'd add to your recommended PSU, 'PC Power&Cooling' they make the very BEST IMO. But Crash might/obviously disagree. :wink:

And <b>mullet</b>, ALL cards can/will crash a computer under the 'right' circumstances. And the more powerful the more likely. So I expect a crash <b>EVERY DAY</b> with the NV40 or R420, anything less would mean someone's not trying hard enough (either the Mfr or ME). :eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Willamette_Sucks Oh my little one got sore because I mention AMD.Oh my;will you please forgive me i want mention it again.If you install a damn monitor and check your voltage you fined out how much the psu is supplying to the board,but most are to smart to thank of the MB monitor.BTW I never call anyone a dumbass,matter of fact I don't call no one anynames not evem you Willamette_Sucks,because all people in general are lacking in something,and yours is respect toward yourself.By the way did you mention to where or how to unistall DX9.

Go to this URL Http://www.guru3d.com/ and you will find a DX remover.Just look for driver & utilities

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
What the hell? Your little one?

Boy you really are a dumbass. What I said had nothing to do with you mentioning AMD, although your theory on that is a bunch of BS. Even if he did install a system function monitor and checked the voltages, and they were within acceptable limits, that DOES NOT mean the PSU is in perfect condition! Also realize that when you start up a game, the vid card draws alot more power! Can't check ur voltage monitor and play at the same time now can you (minimizing it stops the rendering and vid card voltages go back down)?

He came here for advice, and I pointed him in a direction. I said uninstall and reinstall DX. If he wishes to do so I'm sure hell find out how, and FYI you can simply delete all the DX files manually (they are clearly named)!

So uh... yeah. Go to hell now Mr. Fargotman:)

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
From personal exprerience, I had about the same problem when I purchased a 9800pro and plugged it into a computer with an old 300W power supply. I purchased a 480W and no problems since. It was stable surfing the net, watching media files, etc., but when I started up a fairly intesive game it was computer lock up time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, Fortron does make the best PSU, and PC Power&Cooling adds some nice options to them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mulletkid

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
I would have to agree, Iv'e experienced nothing but good things from Fortron....or is it Forton?.....Futon?.... Anyways these are by far the most under-rated power supplies on the market both in their popularity, as well as their output.

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Willamette_Sucks Just can't get off the name calling can you!!.keep up the good work,and take a chill pill LOL.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The lack of popularity can be easily explained by the fact that, until recently, they were an OEM-Only supplier. Sparkle Power has used them for a while, and they got some excellent reviews.

I doubt their selling to anything but the OEM market to this day. If you buy a Fortron pre-packaged, it was probably packaged by a vender.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Be sure to make an informed decision on power supplies. I don't see any information here but opinions. If you can't determine your rail amperages at each voltage rail, how the heck are you going to buy the right supply? Who cares who makes it. Better be sure you know it's rating is at 50C and allow for efficient operation at 60-70% of rated current loads at each voltage rail. Go over that load rating and hysteresis transformer losses will just turn your supply into a toaster oven.

And, 20C rated supplies have high internal resistance with small transformer windings and leaky filter capacitors (dielectric film leakage)all leading to a dramatic drop in rail currents and internal voltage drops across the supply and NOT your CPU or video card.

The 12 volt rail on modern PC's is being ridden harder than in the past with 12-volt VPU's sucking power along with the CPU and hard drives, all 12-volt devices. Heaven help you if you set-up a RAID or SCSI drive. Power in the wrong place WON'T buy you anything. So you better make sure that 20-24amps at 12 volts is enough on a typical 400-430watt supply. If not, about the only supply out there that is 50C rated and ATX compatible is the ATX510 Power Cooler. Looking at the PC Power supply tells you it is essentially a server type supply set-up for ATX use. It will push 34 to 38 amps across 12 - volts. Just the thing for two (CPU + VPU) processors and a dual drive RAID array! But, ypu can't get good but 510 watts TOTAL fro the supply even though all the drive rails will ad up to a third more than the supply is rated at. Why do they do this? To make sure what ever rail is loaded to the limit will deliver what they advertise. But not simultaneously. So, you better know where you're going with your computer BEFORE you purchase a supply.

Go find my post (Why your video card won't run) in the graphics card forum on this subject and how to figure out where you are. I bought a pre 12-volt video power supply based on 3.3volt requirements (Enermax EG465) and it is too small a supply at the 12-volt rail with just 20 amps or so. A good supply, but still too small.

No one wants to address the fact that even the PC Power, inc. ATX510 supply is not logically spread across the voltage rails. 40amps at 5-volts? for what guys? ANTEC has addressed this issue based on my complaints and ADMIT that the supplies out there are PIII generation voltage rail current capable at best.

We'll spend 300-400 dollars on a video card and shell out only 100.00 bucks for a Sparkle 500 watt supply that is only 20C rated. The 36 amps will drop to less than 25amps at 45-50c. So your upgrade ends up being the same as a 50C 400 watt supply. Ever stick a temperature probe against your power supply? It runs at 40-45C internally.

Buy opinions or buy with the facts. Its up to you.

Regards,
rower30@earthlink.net

SHARKMEAT

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Well written,and spot on with info rower30.

TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sharkmeat on 07/31/03 11:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That would be good advice if anyone actually had test equipment, could buy every power supply made, and compare them, then return all but the best.

Otherwise, most of my opinions ARE facts. Comes from years of testing in the field, not in the lab.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841" target="_new">HERE's</A> a review from Anandtech about PSUs, and notice that the FORTRON and ENERMAX get top marks. They also Liked PCPower & Cooling except for the noise of it's fan (which I've never heard as they don't sell them here).

Anywhoo, just thought this would be a good addition to the thread.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, too bad whoever wrote the article was too stupid to do some checking around: Read the review of the Sparkle FSP350-60PN:
A lot of Sparkle’s power supplies share similar components to Fortron, but that does not mean they have not developed their ability to innovate independently. We were pretty amazed when Sparkle told us they managed to cram a 120mm fan inside a standard ATX power supply. Getting a 120mm fan is not uncommon, but enclosing it within an ATX housing is.

HAHAHA! You'll find the SAME MODEL under Fortron brand <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-970&depa=0" target="_new">HERE</A>. Notice the 120mm fan! So much for being amazed by Sparkle, they didn't add the fan, it was there to begin with!

So Sparkle actually does NOTHING to the unit, selling rebranded Fortron units WITHOUT MODIFICATION. Sparkle sells GREAT power supplies, but they're still Fortron, nothing different about them except the price!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I like ANTEC!!! and Mulletkid is a $_#_%_(#( and WS needs to chill out and i need to run away from crashman now~~

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

TRENDING THREADS