More Kamigawa questions

Hi all,

Thanks for David, Daniel and Chris (and others) for answering my
previous questions. I got two additional questions here and, again, I
will appreciate if anybody can answer them.

1) Reverse the Sand. How does it work if I am at negative (thanks to
Platinum Angel)? Let's say I have Platinum Angel in play and I am at -1
while my opponent is at 20. If I sucessfully cast Reverse the Sands,
does it mean I will be at 20 and my opponent at -1? I would have assume
so, however, then there is the reminder text from the card "(Each of
those players gets one life total back.)"

2) Can I Shunt a Shining Shoal? From the way it is written, it looks
like I can, since there is only one target: the player/creature the
damage would be re-directed to.

Thanks in advance!

Francisco Ho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for David, Daniel and Chris (and others) for answering my
> previous questions. I got two additional questions here and, again, I
> will appreciate if anybody can answer them.
>
> 1) Reverse the Sand. How does it work if I am at negative (thanks to
> Platinum Angel)? Let's say I have Platinum Angel in play and I am at -1
> while my opponent is at 20. If I sucessfully cast Reverse the Sands,
> does it mean I will be at 20 and my opponent at -1?

Yes

> I would have assume so, however, then there is the reminder text from
> the card "(Each of those players gets one life total back.)"

It means the if you take a life total from one player you have
also to give him one. A player cannot be without a life total.

:)

> 2) Can I Shunt a Shining Shoal? From the way it is written, it looks
> like I can, since there is only one target: the player/creature the
> damage would be re-directed to.

Yes

> Thanks in advance!

You are welcome!

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Francisco Ho just said...
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for David, Daniel and Chris (and others) for answering my
> previous questions. I got two additional questions here and, again, I
> will appreciate if anybody can answer them.
>
> 1) Reverse the Sand. How does it work if I am at negative (thanks to
> Platinum Angel)? Let's say I have Platinum Angel in play and I am at -1
> while my opponent is at 20. If I sucessfully cast Reverse the Sands,
> does it mean I will be at 20 and my opponent at -1? I would have assume
> so, however, then there is the reminder text from the card "(Each of
> those players gets one life total back.)"

The reminder text just means that if, for example, you have 10 and your
opponent has 13, you can't leave yourself with 23 and your opponent with
zero; each player gets exactly one of the life totals you're
distributing, you can't give one player two of them and another zero.

So RtS would indeed win you the game in this situation.

> 2) Can I Shunt a Shining Shoal? From the way it is written, it looks
> like I can, since there is only one target: the player/creature the
> damage would be re-directed to.

Correct. You can, for example, reassign an attacking creature's damage
to its controller, another creature attacking you (most useful if the
first one has First Strike), or even to itself.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:35:17 GMT, Francisco Ho <fxho@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Thanks for David, Daniel and Chris (and others) for answering my
>previous questions. I got two additional questions here and, again, I
>will appreciate if anybody can answer them.

Here we go!

>1) Reverse the Sand. How does it work if I am at negative (thanks to
>Platinum Angel)?

Exchanging or redistributing life totals involves seeing what the life totals
are: "each player gains or loses the amount of life necessary to equal the
other player's previous life total". And this is because it would be silly to
have someone go from 30 life to 2 life, for example, but NOT have a "Whenever
you lose life, ..." ability trigger.

Anything that involves looking at someone's life total when it is negative
gives back the answer "0". (Anything that -directly changes- it uses the
actual value: gaining 5 life, doubling your life total; anything that asks
what it is uses zero: pay half your life, Serra Avatar's power and toughness
are each equal to your life total.)

So Reverse the Sands will see negative-total players as having 0 life, and
will give the player who gets that player's life total 0 life, not a negative
total. If someone's under a Lich, and Reverse the Sands is played, that
player is almost always going to draw some cards, because their life total
is at most zero and is probably negative. Etc.

>Let's say I have Platinum Angel in play and I am at -1
>while my opponent is at 20. If I sucessfully cast Reverse the Sands,
>does it mean I will be at 20 and my opponent at -1? I would have assume
>so, however, then there is the reminder text from the card "(Each of
>those players gets one life total back.)"

Not quite. It means you go to 20 and they go to 0. Which is usually just as
bad from their perspective; either way they lose right after Reverse the
Sands is done resolving.

>2) Can I Shunt a Shining Shoal? From the way it is written, it looks
>like I can, since there is only one target: the player/creature the
>damage would be re-directed to.

Shure. I mean "sure". Shining Shoal has one target, and it can be Deflectioned,
Shunted, etc. All this changes is where the damage ends up; it doesn't change
the chosen source, and can't affect the "to you or a creature you control".

Dave

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Francisco Ho wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for David, Daniel and Chris (and others) for answering my previous
> questions. I got two additional questions here and, again, I will appreciate
> if anybody can answer them.
>
> 1) Reverse the Sand. How does it work if I am at negative (thanks to Platinum
> Angel)? Let's say I have Platinum Angel in play and I am at -1 while my
> opponent is at 20. If I sucessfully cast Reverse the Sands, does it mean I
> will be at 20 and my opponent at -1? I would have assume so, however, then
> there is the reminder text from the card "(Each of those players gets one
> life total back.)"

There are two life totals: 20 and -1.
You pick one of the life totals (probably 20) and your opponent gets
the other one.

> 2) Can I Shunt a Shining Shoal? From the way it is written, it looks like I
> can, since there is only one target: the player/creature the damage would be
> re-directed to.

Correct.

--
David