windows won't start up anymore

I did some crazy things with my computers. I had an XP Home sysem and a 98
system and decided it was time to upgrade.

I bought a new hard drive and a full XP Pro version to replace the XP Home
system (worked fine). But I had problems with the second system.

I wanted to just move the hard drive with XP Home over to the 98 system and
get rid of 98. But windows wont start up. It says windows failed to start
and gives me options to try llike safe mode, normal, last working config,
etc. None of these work.

I moved the hRd drive back to the XP Pro system and gave it boot priority
and Home started up fine. Why won't it work when I move it.

The Harware Abstraction Layer file that XP creates when you install it does
not match the hardware that you have on the other machine.Therefore XP will
not run.
What you need to do is a "repair" operation.This corrects the HAL file as
well as matches the appropriate drivers for the 2nd machine like....video
and others.Of course that will take just as long as if you installed new
....overwritting 98
peterk
"srh46" <srh46@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I did some crazy things with my computers. I had an XP Home sysem and a 98
> system and decided it was time to upgrade.
>
> I bought a new hard drive and a full XP Pro version to replace the XP Home
> system (worked fine). But I had problems with the second system.
>
> I wanted to just move the hard drive with XP Home over to the 98 system
> and
> get rid of 98. But windows wont start up. It says windows failed to
> start
> and gives me options to try llike safe mode, normal, last working config,
> etc. None of these work.
>
> I moved the hRd drive back to the XP Pro system and gave it boot priority
> and Home started up fine. Why won't it work when I move it.

TRENDING THREADS