OT: XP install crash... HELP!!??

cleeve

Illustrious
Hey dudes.

For the love of god, and all that is holy, I need help.

OK, I'm putting together a system with an ASUS A7V8X-X mobo and athlon 2200+.

The only card in it so far is a Radeon 9000 PRO. Only other peripherals are the floppy, HD, and CD-ROM.

BIOS works fine with the keyboard.

Installing XP... boots off the CD no problem. Everything seems to work okey-dokey until it gets to the screen where it asks you what you want to do (Install XP, recover a previous install of XP, etc.)

Then it hangs. I can press enter until the cows come home... no dice. And I know it's not the keyboard because I can abort the install using the keyboard until it hits this screen.

Once the install hits this screen though, even CTRL-ALT-DEL won't do anything. It seems like a hard crash.

I've tried replacing the video card with another one lying around... no dice. I can fdiskt he drive if I boot off a floppy, so I don't think it's a drive issue. I know the CD is good, and the CD-ROM is from a working machine.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks for your time,

- Cleeve

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Well.....perhaps you can try the boot disks? I used them to install Windows XP.
There are links to both the Home and Pro versions of the disks here:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
I've never used anything but the boot disks (meaning I've never booted straight from the CD into setup).

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

cleeve

Illustrious
Thanks Elf, but the CD boots and copies the exact same files as floppy boot disks would.
I can't imagine that being the problem...

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

DisgruntledElf

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Well, the only thing I could think was that something may be corrupted. It probably won't be the problem, but if you run out of options.....=)

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Check if the CD has a defect/scratch. Are you loading from a backup copy of the CD?

If dirty/finger prints, clean the CD (a little soap and warm water)? Check if the CD has become scratched, if it has there are repair kits.

The loving are the daring!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I'm thinking faulty ram could be the main cause of your problem...... try running ramtest-86

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
it hangs? you don't get any other error msg?
do you have a copy of windows98 or Me? try install them, if they works, then there is sth wrong with the hardware and detected by WinXP
when I got my new pc, I couldn't install XP or 2k either, but Win98 or ME are fine...I finally find out the problem..and then using WinXP for a while.
now i'm using Win2k, just cuz I like it more =P

cleeve

Illustrious
Not the disk... I tried 2 different XP CDs, both do the same thing. Got to be a hardware problem or setting methinks.

Maybe I'll try a RAM tester... thanks guys.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

cleeve

Illustrious
OK, get this:

I try memtest... memory is fine.

I swap out to an old PCI video card thinking that maybe there is a conflict or driver incompatibility... no difference

I change keyboards to another PS2 keyboard... still no dice.

ALl I have left to swap out is the CD-ROM or HD at this point, andfor shits and giggles, I'm inspired to try a USB keyboard I have lying around.

It WORKS!!!?????

WTF?

So, the Asus A7V8X-X doesn't like to install XP when using a 2 year old PS2 keyboard, it seems...

BIZARRE.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+