fx 5600 sucks...what to move on to?

Cubieman420

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
Whats up....I recently got an FX 5600 (non ultra) and I'd have to say that I am completely unsatisfied with its performance....I have a fast system (ASUS A7N8X dlx. 400MHz DDR, 333FSB, w/ XP 2700, 512 corsair XMS 3200 RAM) I just bought battlefield 1942 and I can't even play it maxed out on 1024 without it being somewhat choppy!!!!! what the hell is the deal? I have all recent drivers etc. and 14 GB's free on my drive. I am looking at buying a 5800 Ultra, is this a good step up from the 5600? peace.

cleeve

Illustrious
The ULTRA (make sure it's revision 2... rev 1 sucked) is a step up from the plain 5600 definitely, but in your price range the radeon 9700 non-pro is definitely the performance leader.

Go 9700 or 9700 PRO if you can afford it. HUGE performance delta over a 5600.
Go 9700

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Cleeve I would actually recommend a 9800 non-pro over a 9700 pro, they can be found cheaper, which is surprising!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

eden

Champion
What was your previous card?

Additionally, I personally never found BF1942 to be properly coded, it always displays odd lag despite not having so much polygons on screen. But do try to get what the others recommended.
A 5800 Ultra is obsolete, no longer supported by nVidia, has barely any strength for future DirectX 9 games, AND has a dustbuster for a fan.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:

Sarke

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Remember that bf1942 is a multiplayer game and the lag could probably have a lot to do with your internet connection as well. Just a thought....

There are a few known FX issues with BF 1942. You may be best to read their forums directly (try NVnews). A few reviews have mentioned it when reviewing the FX5900s (yes I know you are talking about the 5600s), and one of the bigger issues was AA, but they also mentioned there were other problems. I posted a link to the [H] review a while back.
Just a heads up.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

eden

Champion
Looking back at the history of the FXs, their performance, their problems, all in all, the NV3x serie is simply a messed up serie.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:

Well there is rumours that that is why they are rushing out even the NV40. Nvidia will have released 3 new top-line boards this year (and announced 2 [NV30 announced in Nov 2002]) including the replacement for the FX5900 the NV38. Also note that the replacement for the FX5600 & 5200 are being preped too.

Read <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030726042034.html" target="_new">THIS ARTICLE</A> at Xbit Labs about the NV38, they mention that very thing (actually my source).

Click on the other links below it in the article for more info.

Remember our discussion of the delayed/lengthened cycles at ATI. Well it seems that the same has come true at NV, thanks to issues with the 0.13 process. In the end I don't see anyone leading the sector until the NV40/R420 come out and then likely there will be a gulf between the two which will likely be address with the loser launching something similar to the Rev.2 to compete.

However Right now I'd say the FX'5700' looks much more potent than the replacement for the R9600Pro (RV360), thanks in large part to the memory bandwidth provided by the 256bit memory.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Find another forum to bother mullet!

Cubieman420

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
I am pretty reluctant to buy an ATI, however my last Nvidia experience just pissed me off to no end...this $200 card I just bought plays games not much better than my old (4X) Ti4200! I would really appreaciate some more good responses. peace.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Be open minded, man. The 9700 OWNS the $200 range. And it ain't sellin'.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
YOU CANT FUN BF1942 on MAX DETAIL WITH A 2500+ AND A 5600?? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH

i could run it 1280x32 max detail with 8x AF on my 1700+ and ati 8500le

wow, what kind of crap is nvidia pulling. that card is an utter rip off

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I play that game maxed @1024x768 on my GF3... something is definetly wrong. My system is below.
Granted the card you have isnt the greatest deal price performance wise but is NOT slow. It should be on par or above my GF3.. which is ages old yet not 'slow' IMO.
No, its not up to par with a 9700 non pro or a bunch of other enthusiast cards.

Then again Im the one critisized for being happy with G0F4MX performance (slower than what you have) and it runs Q3A, NWN, Counter Strike, WC3 and EQ.. what the hell else do you want, some crappy trendy shooter that wont stand the test of time or maybe 3dmark. btw, this is not a question just a point.

Your card is 'fast' and should run that game, check the forums for FX series specific problems.

My recommendation if it is a game specific problem is simply wait it out until new NV drivers come out, don't bail yet over one game.
If you are going to spend more money the 9700non pro is the way to go for you.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I am pretty reluctant to buy an ATI

<b>why</b>

imho, ATI makes faster cheaper cards, with equal or better driver stability

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
And *Equal or **Better IQ!

*Technically, and according to NV, their IQ and implementation of AA/aniso is as good or better, but WHO THE HELL KNOWS with all their cheaty drivers and such!

**MUCH BETTER ATI OWNZ BIATCH! AA quality is way better.

mulletkid

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
"imho, ATI makes faster cheaper cards, with equal or better driver stability" wow. I ju.. It..uh...wow. Well enough on that. This actually sounds like another case of not having the latest AGP drivers for the motherboard. Because if your board only recognizes the card as say an AGP 1x its not gonna care what card it is its gonna give you about the same performance with any card. Current card that is. I dont think the ol Diamond Stealth 4mb would do so hot. What chipset was that even based on?? How the time flies.

Cubieman420

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
that is a great tip..I will get new AGP drivers. I played this game tonight on my friends HP that had a shitty 64MB MX420, and it almost played it better. So there is definetly something messed up.

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Technically, and according to NV, their IQ and implementation of AA/aniso is as good or better, but WHO THE HELL KNOWS with all their cheaty drivers and such!

no. both aa and anyso are technical worse done than by ati. its known.

oh, and, yeah, nvidia, RUSH the nv40.. i want to see that mess:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

eden

Champion
Issue is, the FX serie simply has a badly coded driver database. You will get these problems occasionally.

And for 200$ dude, that is not worth a dime. 200$ buys you more than a 9600PRO, and nearly a 9700 non-PRO. The 9700 non-PRO, for a few bucks more, gives you TWICE MORE PERFORMANCE. Go for it buddy.

And next time, do yourself a favor, ask US before buying and complaining! :wink:

--

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
no. both aa and anyso are technical worse done than by ati. its known.

very well known

on my TI4200, the 2xAA sampling pattern is <b> EXACTLY THE SAME </b> as 4xAA, using any drivers more current than teh 41.xx Detonators

4xAA doesnt even touch vertical jaggies. i have to use 4xS which is a hybrid multisampling/supersampling AA pattern, and much to slow for modern games, to get any decent aliasing

honestly, 2xAA looked better on my 8500le.

AF? 16xAF on teh 8500le with barely a hit in performance. anything more than 4x on my TI4200 and i get a good 30fps drop , depending on the game and situation

-------

no siggy applicable

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yes I know that people, it was just part of the post ok?

HOWEVER!!! I will disagree. When NV is NOT CHEATING, their 8x application-preference (uber quality) has about equal quality to ATIs 16x quality aniso. It's in one of the THG articles, find it if u must.

The 16x (over 8x) of ATI cards only applies at around 90 degree angles, as I recall (again, its in teh article). And apart from distance at those angles, nVidias approach is actually slightly better (when not cheating!! and on max quality).

But still...

eden

Champion
Hate to admit but AA and Aniso performance goes anyday to the FX 5900 Ultra, over the 9800PRO. Ape had a good article showcasing how little the FX5900 suffers with the new FX drivers.

--

Remember that there are AF issues, so don't trust the AF side of things. However they do do well with just AA and that's not a bi/tri issue. That 27Gb/s is pretty nice, and seems to work very well (although surprisingly not THAT much better than the R9800PROs despite the 30+% bigger mem. banwidth, so there may even be more potential there yet, just depends on memory controller issues (which there are some).