Damage Prevention/Triggered Ability Question

This question came up during a game I played today:

After attacking with my Ninja of the Deep Hours and Lantern Kami my
friend uses his Split-Tail Miko to prevent two of the three damage
coming his way. Now the question is, can he prevent the two damage
that would be dealt by the Ninja of the Deep Hours to stop activation
of Ninja of the Deep Hours triggered ability?

Thanks.

--

Ninja of the Deep Hours
3U

Lantern Kami
Creature - Spirit
1/1
Flying

Split-Tail Miko
1W
Creature - Fox Cleric
1/1
W, T: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature
or player this turn.
3 answers Last reply
More about damage prevention triggered ability question
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:06:07 -0700, Lophophora <philipz@@ckt.com> wrote:
    >This question came up during a game I played today:
    >
    >After attacking with my Ninja of the Deep Hours and Lantern Kami my
    >friend uses his Split-Tail Miko to prevent two of the three damage
    >coming his way. Now the question is, can he prevent the two damage
    >that would be dealt by the Ninja of the Deep Hours to stop activation
    >of Ninja of the Deep Hours triggered ability?

    Yes. If the damage is being dealt to him, simultaneously, and he's got shields
    that will prevent some but not all of it, he is the one who chooses which
    point or points of damage get prevented. So he can pick "the 2 damage from
    the Ninja" as the 2 damage that gets prevented. You've got nothing to do with
    this decision; your decisions ended when you put the combat damage on the
    stack. (See 419.7b for specific information on this question.)

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Lophophora wrote:

    > This question came up during a game I played today:
    >
    > After attacking with my Ninja of the Deep Hours and Lantern Kami my
    > friend uses his Split-Tail Miko to prevent two of the three damage
    > coming his way. Now the question is, can he prevent the two damage
    > that would be dealt by the Ninja of the Deep Hours to stop activation
    > of Ninja of the Deep Hours triggered ability?

    Yes. Or he can prevent one from the Ninja and one from the Kami,
    in which case you may draw a card. It's his choice. When damage with
    different qualities is being dealt simultaneously and there's damage
    prevention only preventing some of the damage, the decision as to what
    damage to prevent is up to the player being damaged (or the controller of
    the creature being damaged).

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Yes you can

    419.7b Some prevention effects refer to a specific amount of damage—for
    example, "Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to target
    creature or player this turn." These work like shields. Each 1 damage
    that would be dealt to the "shielded" creature or player is prevented.
    Preventing 1 damage reduces the remaining shield by 1. If damage would
    be dealt to the shielded creature or player by two or more sources at
    the same time, the player or the controller of the creature chooses
    which damage the shield prevents first. Once the shield has been reduced
    to 0, any remaining damage is dealt normally. Such effects count only
    the amount of damage; the number of events or sources dealing it doesn't
    matter.

    Preventing the 2 damage the ninja would deal means he doesn't deal
    combat damage at all so his ability won't trigger !

Games Video Games