MN-610 Not renewing IP Address

One out of two computers are not getting an internet connection. When I try
to repair the connection, it says that it could not renew the IP Address. I
contacted my ISP and they said that it was a problem with the router. I
opened up the Command ox and typed ipconfig/renew. but said that an operation
wasattempted on something that is not a socket. Is there anyone that will be
able to help me?

Maybe a silly question but did you do an ipconfig
release // ipconfig renew? or just renew?

The correct command, from the Command Prompt, not Start/Run is ipconfig
/release and then ipconfig /renew, with a single space between ipconfig and
the forward slash.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you may have a bad tcp/ip configuration
(generally caused by removal of some spyware programs. You can fix it by
going to the Command Prompt and running the following command (without
quotation marks): "netsh int ip reset <filename>" which resets all your
Registry settings for all the IP-related values.

You must specify a filename, such as oldip.txt. After the netsh command
runs, the file created will contain a detailed log of the Registry keys that
were modified. Restart the system after the repair.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert