Large Disks

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Hi all

I finally got a new hard drive, and had hoped to put Win98, Linux, and FreeBSD on it. So I've been searching the Linux How-Tos to try to determine the best way to do this.

The large disk how-to was evidently written quite some time ago, as they consider an 8Gb HD to be a large disk. My new HD is 120Gb. What I haven't been able to find out is if the 1024 MBR limit has been resolved for the really large disks or not.

I would like to use LILO or Grub to multi-boot, but had planned to run Win98 on 60 or 80Gb which would place it definatly past the 1024 cylinder limit. Have any of you done anything like this yet?

Was thinking of making five partitions, two for Win98, one for Redhat, one for Gentoo, and one for FreeBSD. Now, I've read that FreeBSD must be on a primary partition, so that scheme may be out.

Thanks for your input in advance. BTW, what partitioning scheme do you guys run for your Linux boxes (ie swap, /, /home ...)?

"Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give in!"
-Sir Winston Churchill

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Seems like yes, you can do all that as long as your BIOS supports LBA mode, which it almost certainly does. I can't say for sure about LILO, but Grub should be happy enough.

For Linux partitioning, /boot, swap, and / are common, and /home /usr /var /tmp are useful if you like to mess up your system now and then. :)

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

lymponus

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Thanks poorboy for answering.

Actually, I'm not sure my BIOS does, it's an old system with a 440LX MB. I did however, get a Promise controller card so maybe that will work just as well. Guess the only way to find out is to dive right in. :)

Lymponus

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope." - Sir Winston Churchill