System Restore Question

y need help.. I had a virus and got rid of of it but now I want to do a
system restore and go back before the virus, cause all kinds of crazy things
have been happening.
I get this when I take the System Restore option:
"System Restore has been turned off by group ploicy. To turn on System
Restore, contact your domain Administrator".
Help.. I don't have a Domain.. this is a home XP.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried all kinds of things with
the user option and other things, but it just keeps giving me this message.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about system restore question

    Hi Barb,

    Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.
    Navigate to the following registry Key.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT

    In the right pane double click on "DisableSR" an change the Value Data
    to 0

    In the right pane double click on "DisableConfig" and change the Value
    Data to 0

    Close Regedit. Right click on My Computer and select the System
    Restore tab.

    If the above doesn't fix the issue, there's a registry edit at Kelly's
    Korner.
    Look on line 278 left side.

    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Barb wrote:
    > y need help.. I had a virus and got rid of of it but now
    > I want to do a system restore and go back before the
    > virus, cause all kinds of crazy things have been
    > happening.
    > I get this when I take the System Restore option:
    > "System Restore has been turned off by group ploicy. To
    > turn on System Restore, contact your domain
    > Administrator".
    > Help.. I don't have a Domain.. this is a home XP.
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried all
    > kinds of things with the user option and other things,
    > but it just keeps giving me this message. Thanks

    Bert,
    Thank you so much.. that worked. The only problem was that my previous
    restore points were gone and there was only today there.. I have added
    Ad-Ware so hopefully that will help any intruders.. I would like to know what
    they get out of all of this.. It makes me sick..
    Thanks again..

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Barb,
    >
    > Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.
    > Navigate to the following registry Key.
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT
    >
    > In the right pane double click on "DisableSR" an change the Value Data
    > to 0
    >
    > In the right pane double click on "DisableConfig" and change the Value
    > Data to 0
    >
    > Close Regedit. Right click on My Computer and select the System
    > Restore tab.
    >
    > If the above doesn't fix the issue, there's a registry edit at Kelly's
    > Korner.
    > Look on line 278 left side.
    >
    > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > Barb wrote:
    > > y need help.. I had a virus and got rid of of it but now
    > > I want to do a system restore and go back before the
    > > virus, cause all kinds of crazy things have been
    > > happening.
    > > I get this when I take the System Restore option:
    > > "System Restore has been turned off by group ploicy. To
    > > turn on System Restore, contact your domain
    > > Administrator".
    > > Help.. I don't have a Domain.. this is a home XP.
    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried all
    > > kinds of things with the user option and other things,
    > > but it just keeps giving me this message. Thanks

    Barb

    Bert has given you info that should work, but I would like to add this..

    Some virus' work their way into 'system restore'.. for this reason, it is
    not a good idea to use the function during an infestation or after.. it is
    best to clear all restore points and start over after recovering from a
    virus attack..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Barb" <Barb @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >y need help.. I had a virus and got rid of of it but now I want to do a
    > system restore and go back before the virus, cause all kinds of crazy
    > things
    > have been happening.
    > I get this when I take the System Restore option:
    > "System Restore has been turned off by group ploicy. To turn on System
    > Restore, contact your domain Administrator".
    > Help.. I don't have a Domain.. this is a home XP.
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried all kinds of things
    > with
    > the user option and other things, but it just keeps giving me this
    > message.
    > Thanks

    Hi Barb,

    You may want to create a new restore point and try restoring to it to
    make sure it's working correctly.
    You will also want to check the System Restore calendar for a couple
    of days to make sure auto restore points are being created. If you
    continue to keep having problem with System Restore please post back
    here.

    CWShredder should also be run. Spybot is another excellent removal and
    protection tool. Spywareblaster is designed to prevent incoming
    spyware/malware and in my opinion is a must.
    You can find more details here.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/spyware.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Barb wrote:
    > Bert,
    > Thank you so much.. that worked. The only problem was
    > that my previous restore points were gone and there was
    > only today there.. I have added Ad-Ware so hopefully that
    > will help any intruders.. I would like to know what they
    > get out of all of this.. It makes me sick..
    > Thanks again..
    >

    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Barb,
    >>
    >> Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.
    >> Navigate to the following registry Key.
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    >> NT
    >>
    >> In the right pane double click on "DisableSR" an change
    >> the Value Data to 0
    >>
    >> In the right pane double click on "DisableConfig" and
    >> change the Value Data to 0
    >>
    >> Close Regedit. Right click on My Computer and select the
    >> System Restore tab.
    >>
    >> If the above doesn't fix the issue, there's a registry
    >> edit at Kelly's Korner.
    >> Look on line 278 left side.
    >>
    >> All About System Restore in WinXP
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> Barb wrote:
    >>> y need help.. I had a virus and got rid of of it but now
    >>> I want to do a system restore and go back before the
    >>> virus, cause all kinds of crazy things have been
    >>> happening.
    >>> I get this when I take the System Restore option:
    >>> "System Restore has been turned off by group ploicy. To
    >>> turn on System Restore, contact your domain
    >>> Administrator".
    >>> Help.. I don't have a Domain.. this is a home XP.
    >>> Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have tried all
    >>> kinds of things with the user option and other things,
    >>> but it just keeps giving me this message. Thanks

Domain System Restore Virus Microsoft Windows XP