Missing My Documents contents

On Feb 24, I was asked to install the following MS Automatic Update:
Update for Windows XP (KB887742). After I installed it, and rebooted,
All of the documents and personal folders I had created in the My
Documents Folder were gone. The only folders left were the 4 default
folders, My Music, My Video, My PSP Files and My Pictures, but they did
not contain any of my personally created files. When I got home that
evening from work, I did a search of the HDD and could not find any of
the files or folders I had created.
I called Dell for help. After 4 hours and being finally transfered to
the SW support side of the business and asked to pay $42 to get help,
they still could not help me recover any files. Even when I did a
system restore to a time previous to the MS Upgrade, the files and
folders were not accessible.
When I look at the activity for the 24th in the system restore tool, I
find the following line item appearing that happened around the time
the update was performed:
9:52:22AM System Distribution Service 2.0.
I do not know if this is normal and a result of the upgrade, or
something different or unrelated.
I ran a complete Antivirus scan and found no virus.
Since then, I have tried to use "Recover My Files" SW, but though it
found a lot of files, most all of them are actually not readable or
accessible by the SW that created them. I am thinking about trying a
different SW that hopefully may do a better job, but I am losing hope
very quickly.
I have a fairly new Dell system, I keep Norton's Internet Security up
to date, and allow Windows Updates to be automatically downloaded. I
just need to say, do it.
I also have a cable modem that connects to a router that then connects
to my system. Firewall protection was enabled. So a hacker getting in
would be very slim to none.
If anyone, including MS, can help shed some light on this issue, I
would be ever grateful. There is now another MS Update pending, but I
do not want to allow it until I can get help.
Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about missing documents contents

    I downloaded and installed the same update and did not
    experience your issue. I have no idea what may have happened.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "russ" wrote:

    | On Feb 24, I was asked to install the following MS Automatic Update:
    | Update for Windows XP (KB887742). After I installed it, and rebooted,
    | All of the documents and personal folders I had created in the My
    | Documents Folder were gone. The only folders left were the 4 default
    | folders, My Music, My Video, My PSP Files and My Pictures, but they did
    | not contain any of my personally created files. When I got home that
    | evening from work, I did a search of the HDD and could not find any of
    | the files or folders I had created.
    | I called Dell for help. After 4 hours and being finally transfered to
    | the SW support side of the business and asked to pay $42 to get help,
    | they still could not help me recover any files. Even when I did a
    | system restore to a time previous to the MS Upgrade, the files and
    | folders were not accessible.
    | When I look at the activity for the 24th in the system restore tool, I
    | find the following line item appearing that happened around the time
    | the update was performed:
    | 9:52:22AM System Distribution Service 2.0.
    | I do not know if this is normal and a result of the upgrade, or
    | something different or unrelated.
    | I ran a complete Antivirus scan and found no virus.
    | Since then, I have tried to use "Recover My Files" SW, but though it
    | found a lot of files, most all of them are actually not readable or
    | accessible by the SW that created them. I am thinking about trying a
    | different SW that hopefully may do a better job, but I am losing hope
    | very quickly.
    | I have a fairly new Dell system, I keep Norton's Internet Security up
    | to date, and allow Windows Updates to be automatically downloaded. I
    | just need to say, do it.
    | I also have a cable modem that connects to a router that then connects
    | to my system. Firewall protection was enabled. So a hacker getting in
    | would be very slim to none.
    | If anyone, including MS, can help shed some light on this issue, I
    | would be ever grateful. There is now another MS Update pending, but I
    | do not want to allow it until I can get help.
    | Thanks!

My Documents Windows XP