Smokestack timing

If I put a smokestack into play, pass the turn and it comes back, at
my upkeep i put a counter on it, do I have to sacrafice something the
turn i put the counter on or does the counter go on the stack at the
same time as the second ability thereby at the time there are no
counters on the smokestack so I dont have to sacrafice anything?
Oracle:
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a soot counter on
Smokestack.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a
permanent for each soot counter on Smokestack.

prosbloom@gmail.com wrote:

> If I put a smokestack into play, pass the turn and it comes back, at
> my upkeep i put a counter on it, do I have to sacrafice something the
> turn i put the counter on or does the counter go on the stack at the
> same time as the second ability thereby at the time there are no
> counters on the smokestack so I dont have to sacrafice anything?
> Oracle:
> At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a soot counter on
> Smokestack.
> At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a
> permanent for each soot counter on Smokestack.

At the beginning of your own upkeep, you have two triggered abilities
that you control that must be put on the stack. It is therefore
your choice as to which order to put them on the stack, so whether
or not you'll be sacrificing a creature is up to you.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

prosbloom@gmail.com schrieb:
> If I put a smokestack into play, pass the turn and it comes back, at
> my upkeep i put a counter on it, do I have to sacrafice something the
> turn i put the counter on or does the counter go on the stack at the
> same time as the second ability thereby at the time there are no
> counters on the smokestack so I dont have to sacrafice anything?
> Oracle:
> At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a soot counter on
> Smokestack.
> At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a
> permanent for each soot counter on Smokestack.

The upkeep triggers go onto the stack in the order you choose.

If the "sacrifice" ability is the first one to resolve, no counter has
been added jet and you won't have to sacrifice a permanent.

If the "add counter" ability resolves first obviously the "sarifice"
ability will see one counter on smokestack when it resolves and you mußt
sacrifice a permanent this way.

On 15 Apr 2005 12:20:22 -0700, prosbloom@gmail.com <prosbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I put a smokestack into play, pass the turn and it comes back, at
>my upkeep i put a counter on it, do I have to sacrafice something the
>turn i put the counter on or does the counter go on the stack at the
>same time as the second ability thereby at the time there are no
>counters on the smokestack so I dont have to sacrafice anything?

You've somewhat confused. You -can- arrange them so you have to sacrifice;
you can arrange them so you put the counter on second. Your second possibility
is the case - both abilities go on the stack at the same time - but that
does not STOP you from arranging them so the first is true, and does not
FORCE you to arrange them so you "dont have to sacrafice anything". You've
got your alternatives confused, in other words.

Smokestack 4 Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a soot counter on ~. / At the
beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a permanent for each
soot counter on ~.

This has two triggered abilities, which trigger at the same time (on your turn,
anyway) and go on the stack at the same time. Since the same player controls
them - you, Smokestack's controller - that player (you) decides which order
they are in on the stack, and by so deciding decides which order they'll later
resolve in (since the stack resolves top to bottom). If you put the first
ability on top, it will resolve first, the Smokestack will get a counter, and
after that you'll have to sacrifice one permanent. If you put the second
ability on top, you count counters on Smokestack and sacrifice that many
permanents -before- putting the next soot counter on.

So just because they go on the stack at the same time, that does NOT force you
to put the second one on on top.

(On opponent's turn, only the second ability triggers; you still control it,
but unless you have other triggered abilities triggering at the start of
his upkeep, you don't have any ordering choices - it goes on the stack on
top of all of HIS triggered abilities.)

Dave