Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CheckDisk

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:41:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Windows XP Home Edition deleted 6 , files I presume , and one of them was
deleted with the message " deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "" )
from file record segment 6182 and 5 others wetre deleted with a similar
message .
I live in a house with an outdated electric power board cicuit and the
harddrive oftens begins to click because , I presume again after a few months
research , it does not get enough power to process the data it receives .
Hence a rapid up and down movement of something in the harddrive that moves
up and down when the harddrive tries to process data .
I used Western Digitals WINDLG Diagnostic Tool to examine and repair the
harddrive and it did repair the harddrive once .
I am wondering what the files above were that got deleted . Perhaps they
were files used by the Western Digital Tool to repair the harddrive . The
files deleted were deleted under the Security Descriptors during CheckDisk
..
Can someone give me any dea what the (128, "") means , or is please ?

More about : checkdisk

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:57:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Files weren't actually being deleted. What was being deleted were properties
(or "attributes") of the files. This usually occurs when multiple attributes
associated with a given file have the same attribute instance tag value.
This can happen if files are repeatedly created or deleted from a directory.
In short, there isn't any real damage to the drive, CHKDSK was just fixing
some oddities.

"Umwhat" wrote:

> Windows XP Home Edition deleted 6 , files I presume , and one of them was
> deleted with the message " deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "" )
> from file record segment 6182 and 5 others wetre deleted with a similar
> message .
> I live in a house with an outdated electric power board cicuit and the
> harddrive oftens begins to click because , I presume again after a few months
> research , it does not get enough power to process the data it receives .
> Hence a rapid up and down movement of something in the harddrive that moves
> up and down when the harddrive tries to process data .
> I used Western Digitals WINDLG Diagnostic Tool to examine and repair the
> harddrive and it did repair the harddrive once .
> I am wondering what the files above were that got deleted . Perhaps they
> were files used by the Western Digital Tool to repair the harddrive . The
> files deleted were deleted under the Security Descriptors during CheckDisk
> .
> Can someone give me any dea what the (128, "") means , or is please ?
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:57:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thats Grand news , thanks very much .
I am trying to cope with an outdated eletricity source , to the best of
my knowledge , and am trying to keep my computer habits as best I can to
prevent damage to the computer .
Would opening and closing access to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
repeatedly create and delete files from the directory ?
I am receiving a government benefit for my income .
Thankyou .

"LargeNostril" wrote:

> Files weren't actually being deleted. What was being deleted were properties
> (or "attributes") of the files. This usually occurs when multiple attributes
> associated with a given file have the same attribute instance tag value.
> This can happen if files are repeatedly created or deleted from a directory.
> In short, there isn't any real damage to the drive, CHKDSK was just fixing
> some oddities.
>
> "Umwhat" wrote:
>
> > Windows XP Home Edition deleted 6 , files I presume , and one of them was
> > deleted with the message " deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "" )
> > from file record segment 6182 and 5 others wetre deleted with a similar
> > message .
> > I live in a house with an outdated electric power board cicuit and the
> > harddrive oftens begins to click because , I presume again after a few months
> > research , it does not get enough power to process the data it receives .
> > Hence a rapid up and down movement of something in the harddrive that moves
> > up and down when the harddrive tries to process data .
> > I used Western Digitals WINDLG Diagnostic Tool to examine and repair the
> > harddrive and it did repair the harddrive once .
> > I am wondering what the files above were that got deleted . Perhaps they
> > were files used by the Western Digital Tool to repair the harddrive . The
> > files deleted were deleted under the Security Descriptors during CheckDisk
> > .
> > Can someone give me any dea what the (128, "") means , or is please ?
Related resources
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:45:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To my knowledge, Outlook doesn't repeatedly create/delete files. Internet
Explorer, however, will. Internet Explorer basically creates 2 kinds of
files, a cache and cookies. The cache is roughly a copy of almost every
webpage you've visited. This is why a webpage will load faster the second
time you visit it. Cookies store bits of information for the webpage to use.
As far as deleting goes, these files begin to get deleted once they've
occupied a certain quota of your harddrive. This quota varies from system to
system but, for example, if your cache files have reached 5GB and the quota
is 5GB, the oldest files will get deleted to make room for new files in the
cache.

And by the way, I know how it goes using an outdated electrical system. I'm
currently living in a house with electrical wiring that was installed in the
40s and 50s. :D 

Best of luck.

"Umwhat" wrote:

> Thats Grand news , thanks very much .
> I am trying to cope with an outdated eletricity source , to the best of
> my knowledge , and am trying to keep my computer habits as best I can to
> prevent damage to the computer .
> Would opening and closing access to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
> repeatedly create and delete files from the directory ?
> I am receiving a government benefit for my income .
> Thankyou .
>
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:55:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Howdie LargeNostril ,
I guess you are named that because you either have large fingers or you
natrually have a large nostril .
For the web pages that I visit a second time , do I need to use the
History rather than Favorites for Windows to use the record it keeps of
visited websites to let Windows use the stored information to save Windows
from using bandwidth a second time .
Just thinking of becoming efficient as possible while I wait on the
landlord so I can use my computer without fretting every time it goes click
or whirr .
Have you had any problems with your computer using the older electricity
in your house . Most appliances here have misbehaved in the 3 years I have
been living here .


"LargeNostril" wrote:

> To my knowledge, Outlook doesn't repeatedly create/delete files. Internet
> Explorer, however, will. Internet Explorer basically creates 2 kinds of
> files, a cache and cookies. The cache is roughly a copy of almost every
> webpage you've visited. This is why a webpage will load faster the second
> time you visit it. Cookies store bits of information for the webpage to use.
> As far as deleting goes, these files begin to get deleted once they've
> occupied a certain quota of your harddrive. This quota varies from system to
> system but, for example, if your cache files have reached 5GB and the quota
> is 5GB, the oldest files will get deleted to make room for new files in the
> cache.
>
> And by the way, I know how it goes using an outdated electrical system. I'm
> currently living in a house with electrical wiring that was installed in the
> 40s and 50s. :D 
>
> Best of luck.
>
> "Umwhat" wrote:
>
> > Thats Grand news , thanks very much .
> > I am trying to cope with an outdated eletricity source , to the best of
> > my knowledge , and am trying to keep my computer habits as best I can to
> > prevent damage to the computer .
> > Would opening and closing access to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
> > repeatedly create and delete files from the directory ?
> > I am receiving a government benefit for my income .
> > Thankyou .
> >
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:29:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> I guess you are named that because you either have large fingers or you
> natrually have a large nostril .
LOL. Well, actually I use that name because everybody used to steal my
handle/alias/screenname so I can up with one that nobody would want to use
:) . But I like your reasoning better.

> For the web pages that I visit a second time , do I need to use the
> History rather than Favorites for Windows to use the record it keeps of
> visited websites to let Windows use the stored information to save Windows
> from using bandwidth a second time .
The History just keeps a list of the most recently visited sites for your
reference. Internet Explorer naturally uses the cache to conserve bandwith
and load pages faster. Whenever you visit a page, Interent Explorer makes a
request to the server the page is hosted and asks when the various parts of
the page were modified. It then checks those date against the ones of the
files stored in your cache to see if the website is using a newer file. If
it is newer, Interent Explorer will download it. If it's not, it uses the
one in the cache. So, in short, you don't have to go out of your way to
conserver bandwith and load pages faster. Interent Explorer does that for
you already.

> Have you had any problems with your computer using the older electricity
> in your house . Most appliances here have misbehaved in the 3 years I have
> been living here .
Well, since I run about 8 or 9 computers 24/7, I invested in a UPS
(Uninterruptible Power Supply) so I don't have issues with my computers.
However, my lights are constantly flickering so I've gotten used to a dark
room :)  and other appliances like to randomly turn off and restart,
especially the microwave.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Now I understand better , thankyou .
This old house has been recommended for its electricity circuits be
upgraded , expensively , but it is the landlords responsibility which he is
very slow to take on .
You would be due to upgrade your power supply setup in your house too then
wouldnt you LargeNostril . Would cost NZ$3500 to NZ$4250 here , but most
appliances malfunction and then breakdown otherwise .

"LargeNostril" wrote:

> > I guess you are named that because you either have large fingers or you
> > natrually have a large nostril .
> LOL. Well, actually I use that name because everybody used to steal my
> handle/alias/screenname so I can up with one that nobody would want to use
> :) . But I like your reasoning better.
>
> > For the web pages that I visit a second time , do I need to use the
> > History rather than Favorites for Windows to use the record it keeps of
> > visited websites to let Windows use the stored information to save Windows
> > from using bandwidth a second time .
> The History just keeps a list of the most recently visited sites for your
> reference. Internet Explorer naturally uses the cache to conserve bandwith
> and load pages faster. Whenever you visit a page, Interent Explorer makes a
> request to the server the page is hosted and asks when the various parts of
> the page were modified. It then checks those date against the ones of the
> files stored in your cache to see if the website is using a newer file. If
> it is newer, Interent Explorer will download it. If it's not, it uses the
> one in the cache. So, in short, you don't have to go out of your way to
> conserver bandwith and load pages faster. Interent Explorer does that for
> you already.
>
> > Have you had any problems with your computer using the older electricity
> > in your house . Most appliances here have misbehaved in the 3 years I have
> > been living here .
> Well, since I run about 8 or 9 computers 24/7, I invested in a UPS
> (Uninterruptible Power Supply) so I don't have issues with my computers.
> However, my lights are constantly flickering so I've gotten used to a dark
> room :)  and other appliances like to randomly turn off and restart,
> especially the microwave.
!