artifact land - limit?

I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
4 card limit like other cards?

tammy (tazban1@yahoo.com) wrote:
: I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
: use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
: artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
: 4 card limit like other cards?

They are not Basic Lands (Plains, Island, Forest, Mountain, Swamp)
nor their Snow-Covered variants, so yes; in general they are subject
to the 4-per-deck rule. (I say "in general" because in certain
types of tournament decks they are Banned, meaning you cannot use
them at all; I'll assume you're asking for reasons of casual play)

Keith

tammy wrote:

> I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
> use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
> artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
> 4 card limit like other cards?

Only BASIC lands get around the 4 card limit. As of right now,
Islands, Plains, Forests, Swamps, Mountains, and the Snow Covered
versions of the previous five from Ice Age are the only basic
lands that have ever been printed. You have a four card limit on
the Mirrodin artifact lands, and any other lands you might want
to use that aren't the big five.

As a further note, are you attempting to build to Standard tournament
requirements? If so, you should know the artifact lands have been
banned...

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

"tammy" <tazban1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
> use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
> artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
> 4 card limit like other cards?

Limit of 4. They are non-basic lands so you cannot have more than 4 of
each.

Cheers
LT.

On 16 Apr 2005 00:17:45 -0700, tammy <tazban1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
>use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
>artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
>4 card limit like other cards?

There's two parts to the answer, here.

First off, NONE of the artifact lands are basic lands. (They would, these
days, say "Basic Land" under the picture if they were basic.) Thus they are
all subject to the "no more than four each per deck" limit from 100.2 .

Secondly, in a Type II DCI-sanctioned tournament, none of the artifact lands
are legal at all, now; they, Arcbound Ravager, and Disciple of the Vault got
banned about a month ago, crippling the extremely dominant "Ravager"-
archetype deck so that it would not be the majority of the decks in each
tournament.

So your question about "do they get treated like other lands?" is misleading;
ALL lands, other than the five basic lands (plus the other five from Ice Age,
several years ago), can have no more than four per deck. It's the basic lands
that are exceptional, not all the other lands - so the artifact lands ARE
'treated like the other lands'.

Dave

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:25:22 -0400, Chris Mattern
<matternc@comcast.net> wrote:

>tammy wrote:
>
>> I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
>> use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
>> artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
>> 4 card limit like other cards?
>
>Only BASIC lands get around the 4 card limit.

And Relentless Rats. :p

Julian Velder wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:25:22 -0400, Chris Mattern
> <matternc@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>tammy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm building a black/artifact deck and want to know if it is legal to
>>> use vault of whispers and darksteel citadal for all the lands. Do
>>> artifact lands get treated like other lands or are they subject to the
>>> 4 card limit like other cards?
>>
>>Only BASIC lands get around the 4 card limit.
>
> And Relentless Rats. :p

I was not aware Relentless Rats was a land :)
--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."