Biffa

Distinguished
May 10, 2001
Hi all,

Following some good advice on here I got myself a Powercolor 9600 Pro & a 450W PSU to add to my MSI nforce 1 mobo, 512MB RAM, 20" monitor (everything else on board)

After inserting the card and firing up....nothing.
The MSI board has something called a D-bracket which tells me the CPU is no more. I re-house the CPU and wahey...everything is great.

Download and install all latest mobo and ATI drivers and admire the speed that C&C Generals is running.

Then - bang...lock up city.

The PC begins with an almighty slow down, including desktop - mouse just jumps around several seconds behind movements. Applications are just unbearable.
CTR-ALT-DEL helps close em but PC wont even shut down - so out with the plug.

The system is always fine for a few minutes or even an hour before this happens.

I have PC Alert4 and my system is running nice and cool.

Any suggestions as to where to start before I begin hacking and slashing around with my mobo and CPU?

Thanks

Mouse lag is an issue with some driver updates, but seriously this sounds like a CPU+MOBO issue as it is affecting more than just graphical issues.
You may need to troubleshoot each individual piece of hardware, perhaps something was jostled when you were adding/removing the card, especially ince the CPU issue struck first. It might be a conflicting program running in the background, did you check wha's hogging your system resources?
Sorry that doesn't tell you much but thought any answer was better than none. Maybe someone else will have some insight.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Biffa

Distinguished
May 10, 2001
Thanx guys

Gonna try removing the card and cleaning and re-sitting the CPU and fan.
Will then test system before and re-adding card.
Just wanted to check for input before I start messing.