Reverse the Sands

Last night during a Friday Night Magic match I played a Reverse the
Sands. Now the way I read the card and the only reason I drafted the
thing was to be able to "redistribute" life totals. Basically mine
and my opponents life totals would go into a common pool so to speak
and I would then "redistribute" these life points as I saw fit. At
the time I played ~ I had 13 life he had 18. I knew I was going to
take a beating so wanted to maximize my life while putting him at 1
life.

Well, my opponent tells my that is wrong, that in fact life totals are
just swapped. So I ask a couple of other players (whom I feel are
more knowledgable than myself about Magic) if this is correct and they
both agreed with my opponent. I still don't agree with them. How is
~ supposed to be played?

If I was in fact right, it cost me the match. :(

Thanks for the help.

--

Reverse the Sands
6WW

Lophophora <philipz@@ckt.com> wrote:

> Last night during a Friday Night Magic match I played a Reverse the
> Sands. Now the way I read the card and the only reason I drafted the
> thing was to be able to "redistribute" life totals. Basically mine
> and my opponents life totals would go into a common pool so to speak
> and I would then "redistribute" these life points as I saw fit. At
> the time I played ~ I had 13 life he had 18. I knew I was going to
> take a beating so wanted to maximize my life while putting him at 1
> life.

The life TOTALs were 13 and 18. Those numbers are what you
redistribute.

> Well, my opponent tells my that is wrong, that in fact life totals are
> just swapped. So I ask a couple of other players (whom I feel are
> more knowledgable than myself about Magic) if this is correct and they
> both agreed with my opponent. I still don't agree with them. How is
> ~ supposed to be played?

According to the FAQ:

* You can't split up a life total when you redistribute it. For example,
suppose that in a two-player game your life total is 5 and your
opponent's life total is 15 when Reverse the Sands starts to resolve.
You can choose to (a) leave the life totals as they are or (b) make your
life total 15 and your opponent's 5. You can't choose to make your life
total 20 and your opponent's 0.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:54:01 -0700, Lophophora <philipz@@ckt.com> wrote:
>Last night during a Friday Night Magic match I played a Reverse the
>Sands. Now the way I read the card and the only reason I drafted the
>thing was to be able to "redistribute" life totals. Basically mine
>and my opponents life totals would go into a common pool so to speak
>and I would then "redistribute" these life points as I saw fit.

No. It does not SAY to redistribute the individual POINTS. It says to
redistribute the _totals_.

>At the time I played ~ I had 13 life he had 18. I knew I was going to
>take a beating so wanted to maximize my life while putting him at 1
>life.

Reverse the Sands has no way to do this; all it can do is shuffle around who
has the "13" and who has the "18". To take all life points possessed by all
players, mix them all together, and then pass them all out again until all the
life points have been passed out? It would have to say THAT on the card, or
say something like "Redistribute any number of player's total points of
life. (Each of those life points must end up given to one player.)", which is
not at all what it says.

>Well, my opponent tells my that is wrong, that in fact life totals are
>just swapped. So I ask a couple of other players (whom I feel are
>more knowledgable than myself about Magic) if this is correct and they
>both agreed with my opponent. I still don't agree with them. How is
>~ supposed to be played?

As you were being told; the _life totals_ get moved around. The life totals
aren't changed while they are moving - they are just redistributed, like
picking up pieces of paper with "13" and "18" written on them and then
giving one piece of paper to each player.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS