Sign in with
Your question

Will delayed DOOM3/HL2 influence 3D Cards sales?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2003 1:55:11 PM

I think these games will be the first to use the full potential of actual 3D cards and they will makes DX8 based cards looks bad.

I expect not so good performance with my Radeon 8500 on both games. So, I'm pleased to see that both games are no delayed! Price will go down and next generation 3D cards might have kicked in to abse those games.

Maybe, ATI and nVidia will daley their next products launch to meet HL2 and/or DOOM 3 realase date.

It would be so funny to have a HL2/ATI package or a DOOM3/nVidia combo!

:) 

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?
July 30, 2003 10:12:26 PM

It'd be swell as hell if the new cards come out before HL2, and they are more than 30% stronger than the current in normal image quality.

The delay will be beneficial, it will allow most of us to have a ready upgrade by the time they come out, and the new generation of cards WILL run them properly. HL2 isn't even DX9 AFAIK, and DOOM III only uses a few of the DX9 shaders, but retains a mostly DX8.1 shader aspect.
But the new generation will finally be ready for full-DX9 games, unlike the current.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2003 8:46:12 AM

The funny thing is, imagine ALL the people (John Lennon) who bought their cads in anticipation of this game coming out this summer (alot of R9700P and R9500P users IMO) and no the game won't come out until 2-3 generations AFTER those cards. Very possibly the R420 and RV380 could be out by the time these ames hit shelves, and that would be mnuch more than just a 30% increase, especially if there is any truth to their being the equivalent of FOUR RV350 (R9600) VPUs in the R420. I have a feeling that our statemet about 'don't buy the next gen. card util th next gen games are availible to play on them' is now more true han ever before. Imagine the price of an R9700Pro when these gams come out. Likely the value (after calculating interest, etc.) of what an R9000PRO was selling for. And actually spending those physical dollars (~$120 US) when the games comes out might get you a better card (with more 'features').

I don't think this will delay card releae much but it may stunt CURRENT sales as there will no longer be this big push to HAVE DX9 NOW! Sure we have nice Demos, but no game for a Long Time! Hopefully by then they will have fixed the AA issues in HL2 (could that be part of the reason behind the delay?)

Saw a preview of 'Fable' today on TSS, and I'm looking forward to that, looks very Morrowind-like, and seems to have good graphics. So this year, not TOO much to look forward to (even HALO2 for the Xbox is being delayed).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 31, 2003 11:09:55 PM

It is interesting to note that DX9 gaming is only out about a year and a few months later.

DX8 was not that way.
It's a big shame, you can only imagine how stupid DX10 will look like if introduced soon. Eager gamers who will go get the cards for that will be the biggest morons in gaming&graphics history. Heck I don't see the fuss about asking now "Which card will run my DX9 games good soon?". It just ain't happenin' before a while. Shame Dave said I was wrong but never explained himself. I still say I am right, IMO.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:
August 1, 2003 12:16:41 AM

I thought you hated hippies Grape? John Lennon was one of the ultimate hippies.

THE BEATLES ROCK!!
JOHN LENNON ROCKS!!

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd
August 1, 2003 1:15:50 AM

Freakin' hippies!

--
PS: New sexy users' sites now added! :smile:
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2003 6:30:04 AM

WS, I'll teach you sarcasm yet. :tongue:

And Lennon wasn't really a Hippie, he had a job! :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
August 1, 2003 7:01:18 AM

I'm not upgrading until after these games are released.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color=red>You can't fool me. You're a female with those bumps on your chest that I find so hypnotizing. - Zyprd
August 1, 2003 12:27:52 PM

Me too! I have a Radeon 8500 right now that works really well with the games I owned now.

I bought my first 3D card to play Final Fantasy 7 (Voodoo), then I upgraded to a GeForce 256 to play some games that were not working really ell with my old Voodoo. And this winter I bought my current Radeon 8500, because games like MOHAA and AAO were choppy. And now, I wait to see HL2 and DOOM 3 and I will upgrade only if I can't get decent framerae. I'm not a performance freak, so I don't need more than a Radeon 8500 to enjoy the games I play today!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?
!