Need help finding correct Driver for a Diamond Ste

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I recently got a Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 Series PCI card from a friend to install in an old Gateway PC I have. Where is the best place to find a driver for it? I found one web site www.video-drivers.com that listed drivers for Diamond Stealth cards, but there were so many different models of Diamond Stealth 64 cards (VRAM, DRAM, etc), I wasn’t sure which one to download. The P/N on the back of the card says 23030093-203, and the writing on the top of the card says “Stealth 64 Video 2001 Diamond Multimedia” and on the back of the card it says “Stealth 64 Video 2001 PCI 1+3”. I’m planning on installing it in a 266 Mhz Gateway running Windows 98 (upgraded from W95). It currently has 4MB AGP card, so do I just pop out the AGP card, and pop this one into one of my PCI slots and load the new drivers? Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Mike

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I think that the Diamond card you have has an S3 chip on it. You need to find out before we can help you. Uninstall the drivers from your current video card, reboot, then remove your video card. Then pop the Diamond pci card in and let windows 98 install it's generic vga driver. Right click on your desktop and go into display properties. Under the tab labled 'adapter', it will tell you what 3D chip the card is running. You can go from there or come back for help.

I <b>help</b> because <b>you</b> suck.

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
It does say "S3 Trio64V+ P1E3BF" on the chip. So does that help? BTW, do you know if this card supports DirectX games? I'm just looking for a card so my son can run a Lego's Studios application, no high end gaming or anything. And finally, you mentioned removing my old drivers, rebooting, then popping in the new PCI card...wouldn't I remove the old AGP card and put the new PCI card in during the reboot? I wouldn't reboot without a video card in there, would I? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not very hardware savvy. Thanks,

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yeah, thats what he meant:)

And if you do what he says, you might be able to tell us what kind of ram is on there, so you get the right drivers for sure (if there are different ones for cards with different ram types).

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why would you want to put in a Stealth 64? What do you think you'll gain?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Just some applications that require DirectX compatability, specifically Lego Studio's and Lego Racers, but no high-end 3D gaming stuff...do you not think this card would work for that?

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
First off, it was FREE (got it from a friend), and secondly, all I was looking for was card that would allow me to run some low-end games (Lego Studios and Lego Racers) that require DirectX compatability, which my current 4MB card didn't. I'm not looking for any high-end 3D game card. Wouldn't this card allow me to do that?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a Stealth 64, I doubt it supports any newer features, my last Stealth 64 wouldn't even run 3D Mark 2000 (Notice: I said 2000!).

You can get a Diamond V770 Ultra for $16 <A HREF="http://www.softwareandstuff.com/crd_DiaV770AGP.html" target="_new">HERE</A>. It's a TNT2 Ultra, and should outpower even the MX200!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I don't need it to support any newer features, only support a app thats been out for 4 years and requires DirectX and fits in a PCI slot not AGP. Besides I got this card for free, so I'd prefer to use it than buy even a cheap one. But I NEED a driver for it...is there any place you know of where I can find one? Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have several drivers for all versions of that chip, and an installation program that can differentiate. But I don't have the bandwidth to transfer! You could try <A HREF="http://www.driverguide.com" target="_new">http://www.driverguide.com</A>