SP2 problem - wondering if BIOS update of Asus SKV8 mother..

Hello

When I load SP2 I can only boot into safe mode. If I remove SP2 everytihng
OK.

I have updated drivers for pretty much everything - but no joy so far. I
had a similar problem on a computer with an Intel motherboard and after
updating the BIOS I found I could load SP2 without problems.

Updating BIOS on the Asus is a bit more scary because it is a customers
machine, the web site says only update if motherboard supplied direct from
them, Mesh the supplier just says don't bother with SP2, they do not have an
eay BIOS updater like Intel, etc.

Kit is fairly new - about six - nine months old. Only real distinct thing
about this PC is that it is running an AMD Athlon 64 bit processor.

Customer really wants SP2 so would appreciate any help.

I have emailed asus but not received any reply as yet.

Angus Comber
angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com

Might be worth a look whilst awaiting a response from Asus

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm
scroll to:
Data Execution Prevention prevents complete booting or shutting down

Angus Comber wrote:
> Hello
>
> When I load SP2 I can only boot into safe mode. If I remove SP2
> everytihng OK.
>
> I have updated drivers for pretty much everything - but no joy so
> far. I had a similar problem on a computer with an Intel motherboard
> and after updating the BIOS I found I could load SP2 without problems.
>
> Updating BIOS on the Asus is a bit more scary because it is a
> customers machine, the web site says only update if motherboard
> supplied direct from them, Mesh the supplier just says don't bother
> with SP2, they do not have an eay BIOS updater like Intel, etc.
>
> Kit is fairly new - about six - nine months old. Only real distinct
> thing about this PC is that it is running an AMD Athlon 64 bit
> processor.
>
> Customer really wants SP2 so would appreciate any help.
>
> I have emailed asus but not received any reply as yet.
>
> Angus Comber
> angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com

Angus Comber rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:

> Hello
>
> When I load SP2 I can only boot into safe mode. If I remove SP2
everytihng
> OK.
>
> I have updated drivers for pretty much everything - but no joy so far. I
> had a similar problem on a computer with an Intel motherboard and after
> updating the BIOS I found I could load SP2 without problems.
>
> Updating BIOS on the Asus is a bit more scary because it is a customers
> machine, the web site says only update if motherboard supplied direct
from
> them, Mesh the supplier just says don't bother with SP2, they do not have
an
> eay BIOS updater like Intel, etc.
>
> Kit is fairly new - about six - nine months old. Only real distinct
thing
> about this PC is that it is running an AMD Athlon 64 bit processor.
>
> Customer really wants SP2 so would appreciate any help.
>
> I have emailed asus but not received any reply as yet.
>
> Angus Comber
> angus@NOSPAMiteloffice.com

I've flashed many asus boards with no probs.