Multiple enchantments requiring tap to activate

Situation: I have a Battered Golem in play equipped with Viridian Longbow.

Questions:

1. If I attach a 2nd Viridian Longbow can I deal 2 damage to a target or
multiple targets by tapping the Battered Golem? Or does the fact he can tap
only one mean he can only activate one Longbow?

2. If I attach a Quicksilver Dagger can I now deal 2 damage to a target
player if I tap the Golem?

3. If I attach a Viridian Longbow and a Paradise Mantle to the Golem can he
tap for 1 damage to target and also produce mana of any colour?

I guess what I'm asking is if I enchant/equip a creature multiple times can
the creature activate multiple abilities if each requires it to tap - ie can
one tap activate more than one enchantment/equipment ability or is it
limited to one only being activated since the creature can't tap more than
once?

Thanks for any help
LT.

MonoJoker wrote:

> Situation: I have a Battered Golem in play equipped with Viridian
> Longbow.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. If I attach a 2nd Viridian Longbow can I deal 2 damage to a target or
> multiple targets by tapping the Battered Golem? Or does the fact he can
> tap only one mean he can only activate one Longbow?

It takes a tap to activate the ability. He only taps once, you get the
ability once, not once per Longbow.

> 2. If I attach a Quicksilver Dagger can I now deal 2 damage to a target
> player if I tap the Golem?

No. The Golem now has two different abilities; tap to deal 1 damage from
the Longbow, or tap to deal 1 damage to a creature and draw a card from
the dagger. He can tap to do one or the other, not both. You can't buy
two bottles of soda with the same dollar.

> 3. If I attach a Viridian Longbow and a Paradise Mantle to the Golem can
> he tap for 1 damage to target and also produce mana of any colour?

Once again, no.

> I guess what I'm asking is if I enchant/equip a creature multiple times
> can the creature activate multiple abilities if each requires it to tap -
> ie can one tap activate more than one enchantment/equipment ability or is
> it limited to one only being activated since the creature can't tap more
> than once?

The latter. Again, each ability must be paid for if you want to activate
it, but a single tap only pays for one.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On Tue, 03 May 2005 11:37:46 GMT, MonoJoker <monojoker@bigjobbies.com.au> wrote:
>Situation: I have a Battered Golem in play equipped with Viridian Longbow.

Battered Golem 3 Artifact Creature - Golem
3/2 ~ doesn't untap during your untap step. / Whenever an artifact comes into
play, you may untap ~.
Viridian Longbow 1 Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "Tap: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or
player.". / Equip 3 (*)

Before reading further: attaching the Longbow to something new with its Equip
ability does NOT cause anything to come into play, and can't trigger the
Golem's ability.

>Questions:
>
>1. If I attach a 2nd Viridian Longbow can I deal 2 damage to a target or
>multiple targets by tapping the Battered Golem?

No.

> Or does the fact he can tap only one mean he can only activate one Longbow?

The fact that he will have the ability "Tap: This creature deals 1 damage to
target creature or player." TWICE, once from each Longbow, and that he can't
pay two different costs with the same action, or play two different abilities
at the same time, means he can activate one ability or the other, but not "both
at once". They are not TRIGGERED abilities; they do not read "Whenever
this creature becomes tapped, it deals...". They are activated abilities,
and to play the ability you have to be able to pay the cost.

>2. If I attach a Quicksilver Dagger can I now deal 2 damage to a target
>player if I tap the Golem?

Quicksilver Dagger 1UR Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has "Tap: This creature deals 1 damage to target player.
You draw a card.".

Nope. This gives the poor Golem a THIRD activated ability, also with "Tap" as
its activation cost. Now it can use any one of the three abilities, but will
have to untap somehow before it can use another.

>3. If I attach a Viridian Longbow and a Paradise Mantle to the Golem can he
>tap for 1 damage to target and also produce mana of any colour?

Paradise Mantle 0 Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.". /
Equip 1 (*)

Still no. This is yet another activated ability given to the creature, and
as before, one tapping can pay ONE "Tap" activation cost. It can't pay two
at once, three at once, or four at once. Again, none of these are triggered
abilities; none of them read '... has "Whenever this creature becomes tapped,
it does Foo.".'

>I guess what I'm asking is if I enchant/equip a creature multiple times can
>the creature activate multiple abilities if each requires it to tap

No. You can NEVER play more than one activated ability at a time, ever. (Only
exception: mana abilities have a special exemption that allows them to be
played WHILE announcing an activated ability or spell, IF that ability or
spell has a mana cost involved.) None of these four abilities - the two from
the two Longbows, the one from the Mantle, and the one from the Dagger - can
be 'announced at the same time as another spell or nonmana activated ability',
ever. If you have priority, you can play ONE of them; that involves tapping
the Golem as the cost, and after you're done announcing that ability the Golem
is TAPPED, so can't tap again until you untap it somehow.

>- ie can
>one tap activate more than one enchantment/equipment ability

No. One can NEVER have one action pay more than one cost. Ever ever ever.

>or is it
>limited to one only being activated since the creature can't tap more than
>once?

It is limited to only one of the abilities being used, since one Tap action
can't pay more than one "Tap:" activation cost.

Dave

MonoJoker <monojoker@bigjobbies.com.au> sent:
> Situation: I have a Battered Golem in play equipped with Viridian Longbow.

Battered Golem {3} Artifact Creature -- Golem 3/2
/ Battered Golem doesn't untap during your untap step.
/ Whenever an artifact comes into play, you may untap Battered Golem.

It sees itself come into play, so if you've got e.g. a Kyren Negotiations
in play, you'll be able to make use of this first untap. Similarly, if
you're under the influence of an Orb of Dreams, you'll end up with an
untapped Golem. If you played the Longbow after the Golem, that will
also cause it to untap. Playing the equip ability of the Viridian
Longbow doesn't make an artifact come into play, so that won't cause
the Golem to untap.

> Questions:

> 1. If I attach a 2nd Viridian Longbow can I deal 2 damage to a target or
> multiple targets by tapping the Battered Golem? Or does the fact he can tap
> only one mean he can only activate one Longbow?

Viridian Longbow {1} Artifact -- Equipment
/ Equipped creature has "{T}: This creature deals 1 damage to target
creature or player."
/ Equip {3}

The longbow gives the ability to the creature it equips. This is an
activated ability (it has a cost, a colon and an effect), so to make it
happen you have to announce the ability, which causes you to be asked
to pay its cost. The causality is definitely this way round - it's the
activation of the ability that causes it to happen, not the paying of
the cost. So, assuming you have an untapped Golem with the Longbow,
you announce the ability that the longbow gave to the Golem, and then
pay the cost by tapping the Golem. It resolves, one damage is dealt.
If you announce the ability again, you'll find that when it comes to
the point where you need to pay the cost, you can't - the creature is
already tapped, so the announcement is illegal and you have to try
something else instead.

Also, having two Longbows just means that you have two copies of the
same ability, which in this particular case isn't all that different
from having one copy of that ability.

> 2. If I attach a Quicksilver Dagger can I now deal 2 damage to a target
> player if I tap the Golem?

Quicksilver Dagger {1}{U}{R} Enchant Creature
/ Enchanted creature has "{T}: This creature deals 1 damage to target
player. You draw a card."

This is the same kind of ability, so the same kind of answer applies.
You can activate the ability granted by the Longbow, or the ability
granted by the Dagger; the cost of either is to tap the creature. When
you next get a chance to play either ability, you'll find that the
creature is already tapped from the previous time.

> 3. If I attach a Viridian Longbow and a Paradise Mantle to the Golem can he
> tap for 1 damage to target and also produce mana of any colour?

Paradise Mantle {0} Artifact -- Equipment
/ Equipped creature has "{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana
pool."
/ Equip {1}

Same kind of ability, same kind of answer. You play one ability, it
asks you to pay the cost, the cost is to tap the equipped/enchanted
creature.

> I guess what I'm asking is if I enchant/equip a creature multiple times can
> the creature activate multiple abilities if each requires it to tap - ie can
> one tap activate more than one enchantment/equipment ability or is it
> limited to one only being activated since the creature can't tap more than
> once?

These are all activated abilities and they all require you to tap the
enchanted creature, so activating one of them will prevent you from
activating any of the others until the creature untaps again.

The answers are the same regardless of what creature is being equipped/
enchanted, although with the Battered Golem you'll be able to untap the
creature any time you have the opportunity to put an artifact into
play.

Note the *difference* between the cards you've mentioned and cards like
the following:

Goblin Medics {2}{R} Creature -- Goblin 1/1
/ Whenever Goblin Medics becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to target
creature or player.

This isn't an activated ability, it's a triggered ability (starts with
when, whenever or at, has no colon). There isn't any way to play the
ability yourself, it just waits for the creature to become tapped and
then triggers. If you have to tap the creature to pay the cost of some
activated ability, the triggered ability will trigger and set off a
point of damage as well.

Hope that helps,

--
-- zoe