Dell Dimension 2400 -- install new CD drive

My daughter received a new CD/DVD ROM for her Dell Dimension 2400 for
Christmas. She has now returned to university across the continent
from home. Got a phone call tonight that she can't see how to remove
the top and back side of the case in order to access the second set of
screws that hold the CD in the cage. From her description, the top and
back side are a single piece with no obvious screws to remove (she has
successfully installed a network card in the computer, so she is able
to open the front side of the case).

Are there any tricks that we are overlooking (it sure would be easier
if I were on-site, but the airplane ticket is a bit much for a service
call...)?

TIA

**********************
jackmacMACdonald@telusTELUS.net
remove uppercase letters for true email
http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security
5 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 2400 install drive

    Page 59:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/f75560lrs.pdf

    "Jack MacDonald" <jackMACmacdonald@telus.net> wrote in message
    > My daughter received a new CD/DVD ROM for her Dell Dimension 2400 for
    > Christmas. She has now returned to university across the continent
    > from home. Got a phone call tonight that she can't see how to remove
    > the top and back side of the case in order to access the second set of
    > screws that hold the CD in the cage. From her description, the top and
    > back side are a single piece with no obvious screws to remove (she has
    > successfully installed a network card in the computer, so she is able
    > to open the front side of the case).
    >
    > Are there any tricks that we are overlooking (it sure would be easier
    > if I were on-site, but the airplane ticket is a bit much for a service
    > call...)?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > **********************
    > jackmacMACdonald@telusTELUS.net
    > remove uppercase letters for true email
    > http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security

    How to install drives in a Dim 2400:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/drives.htm#1107290

    It appears from Dell's diagram/instructions that the CD-ROMs are held in place with only 2 screws from the side that the cover comes off.

    How to remove cover & front cover of 2400:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/rmvcvr.htm

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/fpanel.htm#1106381
    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Jack MacDonald" <jackMACmacdonald@telus.net> wrote in message news:tjmht0tlg73hv1j36u3hlhq71r3iood5g9@4ax.com...
    My daughter received a new CD/DVD ROM for her Dell Dimension 2400 for
    Christmas. She has now returned to university across the continent
    from home. Got a phone call tonight that she can't see how to remove
    the top and back side of the case in order to access the second set of
    screws that hold the CD in the cage. From her description, the top and
    back side are a single piece with no obvious screws to remove (she has
    successfully installed a network card in the computer, so she is able
    to open the front side of the case).

    Are there any tricks that we are overlooking (it sure would be easier
    if I were on-site, but the airplane ticket is a bit much for a service
    call...)?

    TIA

    **********************
    jackmacMACdonald@telusTELUS.net
    remove uppercase letters for true email
    http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security

    "Jack MacDonald" <jackMACmacdonald@telus.net> wrote in message
    > My daughter received a new CD/DVD ROM for her Dell Dimension 2400 for
    > Christmas. She has now returned to university across the continent
    > from home. Got a phone call tonight that she can't see how to remove
    > the top and back side of the case in order to access the second set of
    > screws that hold the CD in the cage. From her description, the top and
    > back side are a single piece with no obvious screws to remove (she has
    > successfully installed a network card in the computer, so she is able
    > to open the front side of the case).
    >
    > Are there any tricks that we are overlooking (it sure would be easier
    > if I were on-site, but the airplane ticket is a bit much for a service
    > call...)?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > **********************
    > jackmacMACdonald@telusTELUS.net
    > remove uppercase letters for true email
    > http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security

    Follow the links posted, they'll help.

    The machine should be unplugged and placed horizontally - obviously with the
    motherboard side down.

    Be sure the new drive is jumpered to "CS or cable select".

    The removable side cover is now the "top". Press the black slide latch
    towards the bottom of the tower while simultaneously pushing the cover
    towards the true rear of the tower. It should slide back about 1/2" and can
    then be lifted up and off.

    The front cover/bezel needs to be removed. The top tab is near the CD cage
    and can be loosened using the metal press tab to pop it loose (or the
    plastic bezel tab can be reached and raised with your pinky). If you look
    towards the true bottom of the tower (near the hard drive), you'll see the
    second tab. Lift it with your finger and the cover swings off and away.

    On the now exposed true front of the case, you should see two CHROME extra
    drive screws (middle front) that need to be installed on the two front/lower
    screw holes on the new drive (with the drive OUT OF THE SYSTEM). These are
    for alignment when sliding the drive into the open drive bay.

    Once those are in, remove the blank plastic panel from the front
    cover/bezel. The blank is held only by two plastic bottom tabs, and can be
    removed easily.

    Slide the drive into the open bay. I assume you have an extra screw to
    secure the drive. It should be installed in the manner of the "gold" screw
    in the current drive.

    Replace cover by inserting lower tabs and swing it up and lock it.

    Now re-connect power and interface cables.

    Power up, F2 into BIOS at the Dell splash, and then press ESC to exit.

    Install your DVD software at desktop. Test with DVD.

    hth

    Stew

    Thanks very much for the detailed info. I will forward it to my
    daughter. Thanks also to the other two posters.

    **********************
    jackmacMACdonald@telusTELUS.net
    remove uppercase letters for true email
    http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd/ for info on MS Access security

    You're welcome. One correction: The "black latch to remove the cover" is
    on the true BACK of the machine, NOT the BOTTOM as I posted earlier.
    Apologies and good luck.

    Stew

> [...]
    >>front/lower
    >>screw holes on the new drive (with the drive OUT OF THE SYSTEM). These
    >>are
    >>for alignment when sliding the drive into the open drive bay.
    >>
    >>Once those are in, remove the blank plastic panel from the front
    >>cover/bezel. The blank is held only by two plastic bottom tabs, and can
    >>be
    >>removed easily.
    >>
    >>Slide the drive into the open bay. I assume you have an extra screw to
    >>secure the drive. It should be installed in the manner of the "gold"
    >>screw
    >>in the current drive.
    >>
    >>Replace cover by inserting lower tabs and swing it up and lock it.
    >>
    >>Now re-connect power and interface cables.
    >>
    >>Power up, F2 into BIOS at the Dell splash, and then press ESC to exit.
    >>
    >>Install your DVD software at desktop. Test with DVD.

Dell Dimension Computers