Can Cage of Hands be returned from the stack?

This came up in a game played today and I don't know how to go about
understanding it.

My opponent played Cage of Hands targeting a creature I had. I
sacrificed a Benevolent Bodyguard to give the targeted creature
protection from white. In response my opponent tapped two plains and
returned the Cage of Hands to his hand. We let that play stand but I'm
not sure that that is legal, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's
just that I don't think I've seen activated abilities played when a
spell is on the stack. Can anyone clarify this?

TIA,
nelf
10 answers Last reply
More about cage hands returned stack
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    obscurebardo@gmail.com <obscurebardo@gmail.com> wrote:

    > This came up in a game played today and I don't know how to go about
    > understanding it.
    >
    > My opponent played Cage of Hands targeting a creature I had. I
    > sacrificed a Benevolent Bodyguard to give the targeted creature
    > protection from white. In response my opponent tapped two plains and
    > returned the Cage of Hands to his hand. We let that play stand but I'm
    > not sure that that is legal, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's
    > just that I don't think I've seen activated abilities played when a
    > spell is on the stack. Can anyone clarify this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > nelf

    402.8. Abilities function only while the permanent with the ability is
    in play unless the ability is a characteristic-setting ability that sets
    type or color, an ability of an instant or sorcery, an additional cost,
    an alternative cost, or a play restriction. Abilities can also function
    in other zones if they state otherwise or if the ability can only
    trigger or be played in a zone other than the in-play zone. An ability
    whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it's on out of a
    particular zone functions only in that zone.
    Example: An ability with a cost that includes "Discard this card" can be
    played only if the card is in your hand.

    I see no reason for that ability to function while its source is on the
    stack.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net

    obscurebardo@gmail.com wrote:
    > This came up in a game played today and I don't know how to go about
    > understanding it.
    >
    > My opponent played Cage of Hands targeting a creature I had. I
    > sacrificed a Benevolent Bodyguard to give the targeted creature
    > protection from white. In response my opponent tapped two plains and
    > returned the Cage of Hands to his hand. We let that play stand but
    I'm
    > not sure that that is legal, but I don't know why it wouldn't be.
    It's
    > just that I don't think I've seen activated abilities played when a
    > spell is on the stack. Can anyone clarify this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > nelf

    The spell needs a legal target to resolve. The ability can only be used
    when Cage of Hands resolves. It changes from a "spell" to "Cage of
    Hands" the "permanent" upon resolving. A spell that is cast at that
    speed will fizzle if the target becomes illegal. This is unlike
    abilities on the stack TTBOMK.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    One of the voices in my head - or was it obscurebardo@gmail.com? - just
    said...
    > This came up in a game played today and I don't know how to go about
    > understanding it.
    >
    > My opponent played Cage of Hands targeting a creature I had. I
    > sacrificed a Benevolent Bodyguard to give the targeted creature
    > protection from white. In response my opponent tapped two plains and
    > returned the Cage of Hands to his hand. We let that play stand but I'm
    > not sure that that is legal, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's
    > just that I don't think I've seen activated abilities played when a
    > spell is on the stack. Can anyone clarify this?

    In general, permanents ONLY have their abilities while they're in play,
    not in any other zone such as the hand, graveyard, library, or in this
    case, the stack. A common example - a creature with Protection from Blue
    *can* be countered by, say, Remove Soul.

    This is no different. Unless the card specifically says otherwise, or
    the ability doesn't make sense any other way, no ability can be played
    from anywhere else, and I don't know of a single activated ability on
    any of the 7000 or so cards in the game that can be played from the
    stack.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Hylander <john.gagon@gmail.com> sent:

    > obscurebardo@gmail.com wrote:
    >> This came up in a game played today and I don't know how to go about
    >> understanding it.
    >>
    >> My opponent played Cage of Hands targeting a creature I had. I
    >> sacrificed a Benevolent Bodyguard to give the targeted creature
    >> protection from white. In response my opponent tapped two plains and
    >> returned the Cage of Hands to his hand. We let that play stand but
    > I'm
    >> not sure that that is legal, but I don't know why it wouldn't be.
    > It's
    >> just that I don't think I've seen activated abilities played when a
    >> spell is on the stack. Can anyone clarify this?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> nelf

    Some points of clarification:

    > The spell needs a legal target to resolve.

    True, but not directly relevant. All targeted spells check their
    targets on resolution, and are countered if all of their targets are
    legal; also, a local enchantment spell (such as Cage of Hands), while
    it's a spell on the stack, targets the permanent that it's intended
    to enchant.

    > The ability can only be used
    > when Cage of Hands resolves. It changes from a "spell" to "Cage of
    > Hands" the "permanent" upon resolving.

    Yes, activated abilities are only playable when they're on a permanent
    in play, unless otherwise stated or if they only make sense in a
    different zone.

    > A spell that is cast at that
    > speed will fizzle if the target becomes illegal.

    There's no such thing as speed.

    There's no such thing as fizzle.

    Any targeted spell that tries to resolve but has no legal targets will
    be countered instead of resolving.

    If the target of the Cage of Hands spell gains protection from white,
    then that makes it an illegal target for Cage of Hands, as Cage of
    Hands is a white spell.

    But anyway, this is just the reason why the player playing the Cage
    of Hands spell wants to play its activated ability to return it to
    his or her hand. Which can't be done, as the ability can only be
    used while the Cage of Hands is in play, and it's not yet in play.

    > This is unlike
    > abilities on the stack TTBOMK.

    Any targeted ability that tries to resolve but has no legal targets
    will be countered instead of resolving.

    Spells and activated abilities are pretty much identical once they're
    on the stack.

    Hope it all makes sense,

    --
    -- zoe
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    obscurebardo@gmail.com <obscurebardo@gmail.com> wrote:
    >This came up in a game played today and I don't know how to go about
    >understanding it.

    Okay.

    >My opponent played Cage of Hands targeting a creature I had.

    Okay. Cage of Hands enchant-creature spell on the stack.

    >I sacrificed a Benevolent Bodyguard to give the targeted creature
    >protection from white.

    In response. Okay - BB ability on the stack on top of the Cage spell.

    >In response my opponent tapped two plains and
    >returned the Cage of Hands to his hand.

    Whoa. How did he do this, since the Cage IS NOT IN PLAY YET? Its ability
    doesn't SAY it can work in any other zone of the game, and works just fine
    from in-play, so it CAN'T work from any other zone. He can't return it to his
    hand from: his library; his graveyard; his hand (duh); the removed-from-game
    zone; the ante zone; the phased-out zone; and, the relevant one here, the
    stack. He can only play (announce) that ability if the Cage is in play ...
    and here, it's not only not in play, it can't GET into play until after
    your BB's ability has resolved or otherwise been dealt with.

    He can't return it to his hand from the stack.

    >We let that play stand but I'm
    >not sure that that is legal, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. It's
    >just that I don't think I've seen activated abilities played when a
    >spell is on the stack. Can anyone clarify this?

    Yes: activated abilities can't be used while a spell is on the stack _unless
    they specifically say they can_, or unless that's the ONLY zone they could
    work from. I can't think off the top of my head of one that does... (Splice
    and Offering are not -activated- abilities.)

    There -are- activated abilities that can be used while a card's not in play,
    but they'll either say so in their text, or be ONLY usable from that zone
    (Cycling, for instance, requires you to discard the card it's on as part of
    the activation cost, so can only be used while the card's in your hand).

    Cage of Hands' ability doesn't have any special text on it, so can't be used
    unless the Cage is in play enchanting some poor creature.

    Dave
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:
    >Any targeted ability that tries to resolve but has no legal targets
    >will be countered instead of resolving.
    >
    >Spells and activated abilities are pretty much identical once they're
    >on the stack.

    The main difference is that a spell will -usually- have a card "under" it
    on the stack, while an ability is just there by itself with no marker
    representing it. But yes, once something's on the stack, it uses the same
    rules about resolving as anything else on the stack; "speed" is NOT a concept
    you want to try to use to explain spell&ability timing, in Magic.

    Dave
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:25:26 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
    >This is no different. Unless the card specifically says otherwise, or
    >the ability doesn't make sense any other way, no ability can be played
    >from anywhere else, and I don't know of a single activated ability on
    >any of the 7000 or so cards in the game that can be played from the stack.

    I can't think of any either. There _are_ abilities which apply while on
    the stack, but almost all of them are "This can't be countered". (The
    exception I know of is Kaervek's Torch's "As long as ~ is on the stack, spells
    that target it cost 2 more to play.".) And all of the ones I know of are
    static abilities - I can't think of a triggered ability that works there
    either.

    Dave
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    On Tue, 17 May 2005, David DeLaney wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:25:26 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
    >> This is no different. Unless the card specifically says otherwise, or
    >> the ability doesn't make sense any other way, no ability can be played
    >> from anywhere else, and I don't know of a single activated ability on
    >> any of the 7000 or so cards in the game that can be played from the stack.
    >
    > I can't think of any either. There _are_ abilities which apply while on
    > the stack, but almost all of them are "This can't be countered". (The
    > exception I know of is Kaervek's Torch's "As long as ~ is on the stack, spells
    > that target it cost 2 more to play.".) And all of the ones I know of are
    > static abilities - I can't think of a triggered ability that works there
    > either.

    Would Storm count as a triggered ability that works from the stack?
    Or would that be from the zone from where you played the spell?

    --
    David
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:

    > Would Storm count as a triggered ability that works from the stack?
    > Or would that be from the zone from where you played the spell?

    502.30. Storm

    502.30a Storm is a triggered ability that functions while the spell is
    on the stack. "Storm" means "When you play this spell, put a copy of it
    onto the stack for each other spell that was played before it this turn.
    If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any number
    of the copies."

    502.30b If a spell has multiple instances of storm, each triggers
    separately.

    I would say that it is a triggered ability that functions while the
    spell is on the stack.

    You can search the comprehensive rules for phrases like "static ability
    that functions" to find keyword abilities that work on the stack.
    --
    Daniel W. Johnson
    panoptes@iquest.net
    http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
    039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:
    >David DeLaney wrote:
    >>I can't think of any either. There _are_ abilities which apply while on
    >>the stack, but almost all of them are "This can't be countered". (The
    >>exception I know of is Kaervek's Torch's "As long as ~ is on the stack, spells
    >>that target it cost 2 more to play.".) And all of the ones I know of are
    >>static abilities - I can't think of a triggered ability that works there
    >>either.
    >
    >Would Storm count as a triggered ability that works from the stack?

    Yes; yes, it would.

    >Or would that be from the zone from where you played the spell?

    Nope - the card goes on the stack as the first thing in announcing the spell,
    and Storm triggers "when you play the spell", which currently is specifically
    stated to happen as the -last- part of announcing it. So the card is nicely on
    the stack when Storm triggers; thank you for the example.

    Dave

Games Video Games