I recently upgraded to a new version of XP from an old version of XP in order
to activate the software and put sp2 on it and beta
Ever since then the monitor will not go into standby mode and the refresh
rate is not high enough for the monitor which gives me warnings about it all
the time
- any advice?

Byte

Update the drivers for the monitor to the "new version of XP"
Go to the manufacturers website for updates, they are free.