name a card

Hi,

When I have to name a card (e.g. I play a Meddling Mage), do I have to
name an existing Magic^tm card? (Or am I allowed to screw myself by
making a slight error?)

--
David

On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:41:20 +0200, David de Kloet <dskloet@few.vu.nl> wrote:
>When I have to name a card (e.g. I play a Meddling Mage), do I have to
>name an existing Magic^tm card? (Or am I allowed to screw myself by
>making a slight error?)

You have to name an existing Magic card. For example, no existing Magic card
is named "Akroma" or "Soldier". In a tournament, if you need to name a card
but can't remember the name, call a judge. (Remember that your opponent's
graveyard is public info... and rememeber that the cards in YOUR deck are
presumably ones you put there yourself, so you're expected to know what their
names are.)

You're allowed to name a card that's not in either player's deck, or indeed
legal in the format, if you want - "Camel" is a perfectly good Magic card
to name, for example.

Dave

One of the voices in my head - or was it David de Kloet? - just said...
> Hi,
>
> When I have to name a card (e.g. I play a Meddling Mage), do I have to
> name an existing Magic^tm card? (Or am I allowed to screw myself by
> making a slight error?)

The only occurrences of "name a card" in the comprules deal with split
cards, and even a search for "name" gives me no specific reference that
would answer this question.

I would, however, say that you need to name an existing card, following
the precedent of colours, creature types, and land types. For whatever
it's worth this is how it works on MTGO; you are presented with a long
list of cards and must choose one (fortunately you can type the first
few letters in and it will skip to where you want to be).

dobey the elf <ganeshdances@yahoo.com> wrote:
>the Ace of Spades?

Not a legal Magic card to name. (Yes, there was a deck of cards released with
the Magic/Deckmaster back; no, that doesn't mean they are Magic cards.)

When told to "name a card" in Magic, you must choose the name of an existing
Magic card. Not one from a poker deck, Legend of the Five Rings, Yu-Gi-Oh,
Heresy, XXXenoPhilE, etc.

Dave

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> When told to "name a card" in Magic, you must choose the name of an existing
> Magic card. Not one from a poker deck, Legend of the Five Rings, Yu-Gi-Oh,
> Heresy, XXXenoPhilE, etc.

The relevant consideration here being, of course, "the name of an
existing Magic card". The game Illuminati: New World Order happens to
include cards with names like Clone and Counterspell and Earthquake;
this does not disqualify those names for Meddling Mage.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

On Tue, 24 May 2005, David DeLaney wrote:

> dobey the elf <ganeshdances@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> the Ace of Spades?
>
> Not a legal Magic card to name. (Yes, there was a deck of cards released with
> the Magic/Deckmaster back; no, that doesn't mean they are Magic cards.)

Never heard of it. Was it silver bordered? ;-)

--
David

David de Kloet wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2005, David DeLaney wrote:
>
>> dobey the elf <ganeshdances@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> the Ace of Spades?
>>
>> Not a legal Magic card to name. (Yes, there was a deck of cards released
>> with the Magic/Deckmaster back; no, that doesn't mean they are Magic
>> cards.)
>
> Never heard of it. Was it silver bordered? ;-)

Nope, wasn't any bordered. Just standard playing card faces with Magic
backs. I have a deck.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:13:21 -0400, Chris Mattern <matternc@comcast.net>
wrote:
>David de Kloet wrote:
>>>
>>> Not a legal Magic card to name. (Yes, there was a deck of cards released
>>> with the Magic/Deckmaster back; no, that doesn't mean they are Magic
>>> cards.)
>>
>> Never heard of it. Was it silver bordered? ;-)
>>
>Nope, wasn't any bordered. Just standard playing card faces with Magic
>backs. I have a deck.

I believe these were sent to people paying for 'legend' membership in the
DCI.

Jasper