Shining Shoal and Isochron

Since the convert mana cost with an instant with an X is 0, Shining
Shoal can be imprinted on the Scepter.

Because other costs like Kicker can be played, can this apply to the
alternate casting cost of removing a card in your hand from the game? I
mean a copy of the "spell" is put onto the stack as the ability
activates. (did I word that correctly?)

IOW, you could have a deck full of medium to higher cc white cards..
Now you basically have a kind of "reflect damage" (not exactly but
somewhat close?) on a stick that can reflect a lot.

Perhaps this has been asked before...if so, please pardon the
intrusion.

When the activated ability is resolving, you play the copy onto the
stack. [Mirrodin FAQ 2003/10/01]
You do not pay the spell's mana cost and any X in that cost is zero.
You do still pay any additional costs that might apply, and may pay any
optional costs such as Kicker or Buyback that apply. [Mirrodin FAQ
2003/10/01] [WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]
You can imprint a split card if either side has converted cost 2 or
less. After imprinting, you can play either side even if the cost is
higher. [WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]
If the imprinted card is a split card, you can choose which side to
play at the time you play the copy. [Mirrodin FAQ 2003/10/01]
You can't play the copy if an effect would prevent it from being played
from your hand. [Mirrodin FAQ 2003/10/01]
If this card leaves play while the ability to make a copy is on the
stack, the ability will still make a copy using last-known-information
rule. [WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]
If the imprinted card leaves the removed-from-game zone while the
ability to make a copy is on the stack, then no copy will be made.
[WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]
Note - Also see Converted Mana Cost, Ruling G3.25.
Note - Also see Imprint, Ruling 502.34.

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
> One of the voices in my head - or was it Hylander? - just said...
> > Since the convert mana cost with an instant with an X is 0, Shining
> > Shoal can be imprinted on the Scepter.
>
> Not quite. The X is considered to equal 0 except when it's on the
stack,
> so SS has a CMC of 2, not 0. But yes, it can be imprinted on Isochron

> Scepter, though not usefully.
>
> > Because other costs like Kicker can be played, can this apply to
the
> > alternate casting cost of removing a card in your hand from the
game? I
> > mean a copy of the "spell" is put onto the stack as the ability
> > activates. (did I word that correctly?)
>
> You can pay additional costs, but you can't pay more than one
alternate
> cost; you're already paying an alternate cost of "nothing" for the
SS,
> so you can't instead pay a different alternate cost. So you're stuck
> being unable to pay X with mana or set X with the alternate cost, so
> will always be 0; this is pretty useless unless Horobi is in play or
> something.

I'm not sure exactly why I'm stuck using the X or already paying it
necessarily. The rule on split cards for example says that you can use
other spells on that card even though their cost is greater than 2 for
example...the isochron hasn't force me to play only the 2 cc side.

On 22 May 2005 16:57:59 -0700, Hylander <john.gagon@gmail.com> wrote:
>Since the convert mana cost with an instant with an X is 0, Shining
>Shoal can be imprinted on the Scepter.

Yes.

>Because other costs like Kicker can be played, can this apply to the
>alternate casting cost of removing a card in your hand from the game? I
>mean a copy of the "spell" is put onto the stack as the ability
>activates. (did I word that correctly?)

No, and actually no. _Additional_ costs, including Kicker, Entwine, Gloom,
Buyback, and others, must/can still be paid. _Alternate_ costs - including
anything that says "rather than paying its mana cost" or "without paying its
mana cost" - cannot be paid, because you can only pay by one alternate method,
and the Scepter already imposes one, "without paying its mana cost".

So the Shoals' alternate costs can't be paid if they are Sceptered or Panoptic
Mirrored; plus which, since they're being cast without paying their mana cost,
the X in the mana cost must be zero ("X", Glossary).

And your slight miswording was that the Scepter does NOT just "put a copy onto
the stack of the spell". For one thing, there's no SPELL there for it to copy,
just a card in the RFG zone. For another, it specifically notes that you are
to copy that card, then -play- the copy - announce it, cast the copy from the
RFG zone as a spell. You don't just "put it onto the stack".

(Things that copy another -spell- usually just put the copy onto the stack.
Things that are copying a card somewhere else can't make the copy directly
into a spell, and have to tell you to play the copy. See the difference?)

>You do not pay the spell's mana cost and any X in that cost is zero.

Correct.

>You do still pay any additional costs that might apply, and may pay any
>optional costs such as Kicker or Buyback that apply. [Mirrodin FAQ
>2003/10/01] [WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]

Correct. But alternate costs cannot be used, because the Scepter is already
making you use an alternate cost.

Dave

Hylander <john.gagon@gmail.com> wrote:
>Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
>> > Because other costs like Kicker can be played, can this apply to the
>> > alternate casting cost of removing a card in your hand from the game? I
>> > mean a copy of the "spell" is put onto the stack as the ability
>>
>> You can pay additional costs, but you can't pay more than one alternate
>> cost; you're already paying an alternate cost of "nothing" for the SS,
>> so you can't instead pay a different alternate cost. So you're stuck
>> being unable to pay X with mana or set X with the alternate cost, so X
>> will always be 0; this is pretty useless unless Horobi is in play or
>> something.
>
>I'm not sure exactly why I'm stuck using the X or already paying it
>necessarily.

Because the rules say so. If you're somehow managing to cast a spell without
paying its mana cost? Any X in that mana cost MUST be zero. (There is a spell
or two that says "X can't be zero"; such spells -can't be cast- without paying
their mana cost.) And you can only use one alternate method of paying a mana
cost, you can't pile them up together; the Scepter already is imposing "without
paying its mana cost" as the alternate way to pay, so you can't use any other
one, such as one a Shoal, for example, might have.

>The rule on split cards for example says that you can use
>other spells on that card even though their cost is greater than 2 for
>example...the isochron hasn't force me to play only the 2 cc side.

The Isochron Scepter doesn't care what the mana cost of the card IS when
it tells you to copy it and play it. (It DOES care that it is an Instant
card, as the wording indicates.) You can't normally get a card with mana
cost > 2 onto the Scepter at all; split cards provide one way to (because
the Scepter doesn't ask whether the mana cost is > 2, it asks whether it is
<= 2, and split cards have two costs), and Doppelganger/Unstable Shapeshifter
provide the other way.

Isochron Scepter 2 Artifact
Imprint - When ~ comes into play, you may remove an instant card with
converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the game. (*) / 2,Tap: You may
copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its mana
cost.

As you can see, the test for what the cost must be is in the triggered Imprint
ability, not in the activated make-a-copy-then-play-it ability.

The "instant" is in the latter, though, as is the "without paying its mana
cost", and the second of these is what's making your X in the mana cost be
forced to be zero AND what's forcing you to not use any OTHER alternate cost
payment method.

Dave

> [...]

> rule. [WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]
> If the imprinted card leaves the removed-from-game zone while the
> ability to make a copy is on the stack, then no copy will be made.
> [WotC Rules Team 2003/10/06]
> Note - Also see Converted Mana Cost, Ruling G3.25.
> Note - Also see Imprint, Ruling 502.34.

One of the voices in my head - or was it Hylander? - just said...
> > You can pay additional costs, but you can't pay more than one
> alternate
> > cost; you're already paying an alternate cost of "nothing" for the
> SS,
> > so you can't instead pay a different alternate cost. So you're stuck
> > being unable to pay X with mana or set X with the alternate cost, so
> > will always be 0; this is pretty useless unless Horobi is in play or
> > something.
>
> I'm not sure exactly why I'm stuck using the X or already paying it

Dave already answered, but let me take a stab at it anyway - you seem to
be expecting alternate costs and additional costs to work the same, but
they're very different. Alternate costs happen *instead* of paying the
mana cost, and are similar to replacement effects. Basically, the
scepter forces you to pay nothing instead of paying the mana cost. The
alternate cost of cards like the Shoals (and other "pitch cards" before
them, from Alliances, Masques block and to a lesser extent Mirage block)
is trying to replace the "Pay the normal mana cost" event, if you want
to think of it that way - but in the case of a spell played with the
Scepter, there *is* no such event since it was *already* replaced with
"don't pay anything".

> The rule on split cards for example says that you can use
> other spells on that card even though their cost is greater than 2 for
> example...the isochron hasn't force me to play only the 2 cc side.

This isn't really analogous. With a split card, you have two choices of
what normal mana cost to replace. You still can't replace that cost with
something else besides what the Scepter says to replace it with. If,
for example, you have Dream Halls in play, you *can't* pitch a card to
play a spell with the Scepter, even if for some reason you want to.
Whether the imprinted card is a split card doesn't affect this.

David DeLaney wrote:
> [...]
> provide the other way.
>
> Isochron Scepter 2 Artifact
> Imprint - When ~ comes into play, you may remove an instant card
with
> converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the game. (*) /
2,Tap: You may
> copy the imprinted instant card and play the copy without paying its
mana
> cost.
>
> As you can see, the test for what the cost must be is in the
triggered Imprint
> ability, not in the activated make-a-copy-then-play-it ability.
>
> The "instant" is in the latter, though, as is the "without paying its
mana
> cost", and the second of these is what's making your X in the mana
cost be
> forced to be zero AND what's forcing you to not use any OTHER

It refers directly to "without paying its *Mana Cost* ". Hrm. I was
thinking that all attributes of the card would allow it. Now it says I
can copy the imprinted card and play the copy of that card....it says I
can do so without paying its mana cost and Shining Shoals wording just
makes it redundant...not restricted. I have a copy of that card...but I
have to use that alternate cost every time. I still have the card and
have obeyed the isochron by playing it without paying it's mana cost.
But if the rules somehow imply that this is alternate costs and there
is only one allowed...then so be it.
>From what the cards imply though...it's not very clear. But I assume
that "paying a cost" for a spell factor might restrict not just mana
costs but all costs to one. I'm trying to see the intent of the rule
too. But thanks. The explanation makes much better sense.

> Dave
> --
> \/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows
the flower
> It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for
anyone to see
> Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET
VRbeable<BLINK>
> http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all
CAPS! --K.

Jeff Heikkinen wrote:
> One of the voices in my head - or was it Hylander? - just said...
> > > You can pay additional costs, but you can't pay more than one
> > alternate
> > > cost; you're already paying an alternate cost of "nothing" for
the
> > SS,
> > > so you can't instead pay a different alternate cost. So you're
stuck
> > > being unable to pay X with mana or set X with the alternate cost,
so
> > > will always be 0; this is pretty useless unless Horobi is in play
or
> > > something.
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly why I'm stuck using the X or already paying it
> > necessarily.
>
> Dave already answered, but let me take a stab at it anyway - you seem
> be expecting alternate costs and additional costs to work the same,
but
> they're very different. Alternate costs happen *instead* of paying
the
> mana cost, and are similar to replacement effects. Basically, the
> scepter forces you to pay nothing instead of paying the mana cost.
The
> alternate cost of cards like the Shoals (and other "pitch cards"
before
> them, from Alliances, Masques block and to a lesser extent Mirage
block)
> is trying to replace the "Pay the normal mana cost" event, if you
want
> to think of it that way - but in the case of a spell played with the
> Scepter, there *is* no such event since it was *already* replaced
with
> "don't pay anything".
>
> > The rule on split cards for example says that you can use
> > other spells on that card even though their cost is greater than 2
for
> > example...the isochron hasn't force me to play only the 2 cc side.
>
> This isn't really analogous. With a split card, you have two choices
of
> what normal mana cost to replace. You still can't replace that cost
with
> something else besides what the Scepter says to replace it with. If,

> for example, you have Dream Halls in play, you *can't* pitch a card
> play a spell with the Scepter, even if for some reason you want to.
> Whether the imprinted card is a split card doesn't affect this.

Also a good explanation. Thank you. So the event of paying cannot be
checked and so there is no opportunity to pay the alternate cc of a
card. You simply get nothing then.

Hylander <john.gagon@gmail.com> wrote:
>It refers directly to "without paying its *Mana Cost* ".

Right. If you look at the rules for paying costs - 409.1f through h - it
makes it clear there that the total cost involves looking at the
mana or activation cost, seeing if there is an alternate cost, then adding
any additional costs, then subtracting any cost reductions. (And then
applying Trinisphere, if there's one out and you're casting a spell.) This
gets you to the cost you actually -pay-. A lot of the time this is the same
as the initial mana cost, but not always... and "mana cost" isn't the same
concept as "cost you finally pay taking everything into account". So when
something says "without paying its mana cost" it's being specific.

>Hrm. I was
>thinking that all attributes of the card would allow it. Now it says I
>can copy the imprinted card and play the copy of that card....it says I
>can do so without paying its mana cost and Shining Shoals wording just
>makes it redundant...not restricted. I have a copy of that card...but I
>have to use that alternate cost every time.

Right. There are some other effects that tell you to play a spell without
paying its mana cost; they work the same way, though usually they're affecting
a "real" spell card, not a copy of one. And there are some cards that give
you an optional alternate cost for pretty much any spell - Fist of Suns, and
Dream Halls, for example.

The note that you can't use more than one alternative cost for a spell or
ability is actually up in 409.1b ... because that's where you announce
-how- you are intending to pay for the spell. This is different from figuring
out what the cost ends up being (409.1f); this would be, for example, where
you announced whether you were going to pay XWW for a Shining Shoal, or pay
by removing a white card in your hand from the game. If you've played the
spell through some effect that forces an alternate cost, like the Scepter or
Aluren, your choice isn't really a "choice", but it's still announced there.

>I still have the card and
>have obeyed the isochron by playing it without paying it's mana cost.
>But if the rules somehow imply that this is alternate costs and there
>is only one allowed...then so be it.

They actually say that right out, in the middle of 409.1b (and have a note
after that that previously made choices may restrict your options on
alternate costs, too).

Dave

David DeLaney wrote:
> Hylander <john.gagon@gmail.com> wrote:
> >It refers directly to "without paying its *Mana Cost* ".
>
> Right. If you look at the rules for paying costs - 409.1f through h -
it
> makes it clear there that the total cost involves looking at the
> mana or activation cost, seeing if there is an alternate cost, then
adding
> any additional costs, then subtracting any cost reductions. (And then
> applying Trinisphere, if there's one out and you're casting a spell.)
This
> gets you to the cost you actually -pay-. A lot of the time this is
the same
> as the initial mana cost, but not always... and "mana cost" isn't the
same
> concept as "cost you finally pay taking everything into account". So
when
> something says "without paying its mana cost" it's being specific.
>
> >Hrm. I was
> >thinking that all attributes of the card would allow it. Now it
says I
> >can copy the imprinted card and play the copy of that card....it
says I
> >can do so without paying its mana cost and Shining Shoals wording
just
> >makes it redundant...not restricted. I have a copy of that
card...but I
> >have to use that alternate cost every time.
>
> Right.

What I meant there though was that...(ignoring the rules for a second)
I could play
the spell and pay that alternate cost of removing a card from my hand
every time.
IOW, imprinting is one thing where it qualifies as a X=0 W W = 2 cc
card to imprint so it's imprintable and then it says, "Instead of"
using the mana cost I can play a copy of the spell. I suppose though
that the only part of the spell I can use is where it says to
(basically/simplifying terms) redirect X damage since the time for
paying costs has passed. The ability on the card simply says though
that I "can" remove a card in my hand from the game. If it had said
"you can remove a card in your hand from the game and use it's
converted mana cost for X", it would have been fine I think. But it
says "intead of" paying ~ casting cost. (lemme reproduce it here).

You may remove a white card with converted mana cost X in your hand
from the game rather than pay Shining Shoal's mana cost.
The next X damage that a source of your choice would deal to you or a
creature you control this turn is dealt to target creature or player
instead.

Ok, close enough. "rather than" (is synonymous with "instead"). "paying
~ mana cost". ok...so it seems like an alternate cost for an event that
won't happen because it is already being waived. It's a little
misleading in saying "X" as it all I have to do is basically "while
playing" determine X somehow. But it does assign to X the value of
something. Back to redundancy. Is it redundant or how exactly does it
qualify as "alternative". Perhaps only by comparison with cards like
Force of Will etc. Not exactly the same:

You may pay 1 life and remove a blue card in your hand from the game
instead of paying Force of Will's casting cost.

Rather vs "may...instead". I suppose the rules have equated the two. I
know sometimes synonyms are listed for words like "instead" somewhere I
think where "replacement" effects are mentioned. (I now have to see if
"rather than" is listed)....(wait, so is that effect or cost or am I
confusing that).

Sometimes I wonder how that "trigger"/"event"/"effect"/"cost" all time
out. ie:

-cost/trigger: (all cost sources like sacrifice etc are gone to
graveyards and cannot be targetted subsequently by new effects)

-place on stack. (an effect "object")

-the effect can "trigger" such that new events occur but only if the
effect can resolve by having legal targets. (ie: not fizzle...but
fizzle is supposedly misleading....not sure how).

the problem can sometimes seem to be when events trigger things that
can be meta-events for existing ones if that makes sense. It seems
ordering these things correctly must be done carefully. Often, it's
straightforward but sometimes not.

By the way, I've read the rules albeit somewhat quickly...but I find
the detail is sometimes too wordy or ambiguous in places explaining
some of the concepts.

Anyhow, I wonder if there are some sample arguements or cards that have
been extremely big causes of debate and what can be learned from them.
Is there any such links to such material out there?

> There are some other effects that tell you to play a spell without
> paying its mana cost; they work the same way, though usually they're
affecting
> a "real" spell card, not a copy of one. And there are some cards that
give
> you an optional alternate cost for pretty much any spell - Fist of
Suns, and
> Dream Halls, for example.
>
> The note that you can't use more than one alternative cost for a
spell or
> ability is actually up in 409.1b ... because that's where you
announce
> -how- you are intending to pay for the spell. This is different from
figuring
> out what the cost ends up being (409.1f); this would be, for example,
where
> you announced whether you were going to pay XWW for a Shining Shoal,
or pay
> by removing a white card in your hand from the game. If you've played
the
> spell through some effect that forces an alternate cost, like the
Scepter or
> Aluren, your choice isn't really a "choice", but it's still announced
there.

> >I still have the card and
> >have obeyed the isochron by playing it without paying it's mana
cost.
> >But if the rules somehow imply that this is alternate costs and
there
> >is only one allowed...then so be it.
>
> They actually say that right out, in the middle of 409.1b (and have a
note
> after that that previously made choices may restrict your options on
> alternate costs, too).
>
> Dave
> --
> \/David DeLaney posting from dbd@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows
the flower
> It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for
anyone to see
> Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET
VRbeable<BLINK>
> http://www.vic.com/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all
CAPS! --K.

Hylander <john.gagon@gmail.com> wrote:
>What I meant there though was that...(ignoring the rules for a second)
>I could play
>the spell and pay that alternate cost of removing a card from my hand
>every time.
>IOW, imprinting is one thing where it qualifies as a X=0 W W = 2 cc
>card to imprint so it's imprintable and then it says, "Instead of"
>using the mana cost I can play a copy of the spell.

What? No, the "imprint" part is just removing the card from the game in
the -first- place, and tying it to the Imprint artifact as long as the
card's in the RFG zone.

The "you can copy that instant card, then play the copy you just made without
paying its mana cost" only interacts with "Imprint" because it's looking for
a card imprinted on the artifact. The card being imprinted doesn't change
how the mana cost gets paid; the text of the ability that says "then play
it without paying its mana cost" is what does that. Aluren lets players play
actual cards without paying their mana costs, and doesn't have anything
to do with Imprint; the Legates allow themselves to be played without paying
their mana costs under certain conditions; etc.

The fact that Isochron Scepter is using the Imprint to identify _which_
card you can play-for-cheaper this way doesn't have anything to do with
the effect that's saying "using the alternate cost of without-paying-its-
mana-cost".

It's true that all four artifacts with Imprint which let you copy Imprinted
cards and play them say to do so without paying their mana cost. But that's
not some limitation imposed by Imprint; rather, that's a limitation imposed
because all four use the wording 'without paying its mana cost'.

>that the only part of the spell I can use is where it says to
>(basically/simplifying terms) redirect X damage since the time for
>paying costs has passed.

No no. You play the copy-spell normally. Except that you have to use the
alternate cost of "without paying its mana cost". You still go through all
the steps of announcement - choosing modes if needed, choosing targets if
needed, saying how targets are affected if needed, figuring out the actual
cost to pay, then paying the cost if there ends up being one. It's not
a case of "by the time you're told to play the copy, it's +too late+ to pay
any of its costs"; it's a case of "the game rules say that if you're playing
it without paying its mana cost, you can't choose a DIFFERENT alternate
method of paying".

>The ability on the card simply says though
>that I "can" remove a card in my hand from the game. If it had said
>"you can remove a card in your hand from the game and use it's
>converted mana cost for X", it would have been fine I think. But it
>says "intead of" paying ~ casting cost. (lemme reproduce it here).

No, it says "rather than". It specifically doesn't say "instead"; that's
reserved for replacement effects.

>You may remove a white card with converted mana cost X in your hand
>from the game rather than pay Shining Shoal's mana cost.

Right. You _may_ do so; this is an optional alternate cost, not a mandatory
one. (If it were mandatory, then you could not play a copy of this from
the Scepter at all, since you would HAVE TO use the alternate cost, but
would not be allowed to.)

>The next X damage that a source of your choice would deal to you or a
>creature you control this turn is dealt to target creature or player
>instead.

Right. This is the effect, and has little to do with announcing the spell,
other than a) that's when the size of X gets defined (and it must be 0 if
this is a copy played off a Scepter) and b) that's when you pick the target.

>Ok, close enough. "rather than" (is synonymous with "instead").

No; it's specifically used rather than "instead", which would signify a
replacement effect of some sort. "Instead" is a Magic Word, so to speak.

>"paying ~ mana cost". ok...so it seems like an alternate cost for an event
>that won't happen because it is already being waived. It's a little
>misleading in saying "X" as it all I have to do is basically "while
>playing" determine X somehow. But it does assign to X the value of
>something. Back to redundancy. Is it redundant or how exactly does it
>qualify as "alternative".

It's an alternative cost because it says one of 'rather than paying its
mana cost' or 'without paying its mana cost'. Either of those signifies an
alternative cost. If neither of those appear, whatever you're looking at
isn't an alternative method of paying a mana cost.

>Perhaps only by comparison with cards like
>Force of Will etc. Not exactly the same:
>
>You may pay 1 life and remove a blue card in your hand from the game
>instead of paying Force of Will's casting cost.

You're looking at the actual -card-. Look at Oracle text please:

Force of Will 3UU Instant
You may pay 1 life and remove a blue card in your hand from the game rather
than pay ~'s mana cost. / Counter target spell.

The "rather than" signifies that this is in fact an alternative cost; the "you
may" means it's optional - you can choose not to use it, and just pay the 3UU
in the normal way.

>Sometimes I wonder how that "trigger"/"event"/"effect"/"cost" all time
>out. ie:

Those are four fairly different things.

A triggered ability uses "When", "Whenever", or "At the" to set off its
trigger event.

An "event" is something that happens in the game; specifically, it's something
a triggered ability is watching for so as to trigger, or something a
replacement or prevention effect is watching for so as to replace or prevent
it.

An "effect" is the result of resolving a spell or ability, applying a static
ability, or applying a rule.

A "cost" can be either a mana cost (for spells), an activation cost (for
activated abilities), or anything following the word "pay".

>-cost/trigger: (all cost sources like sacrifice etc are gone to
>graveyards and cannot be targetted subsequently by new effects)
>
>-place on stack. (an effect "object")
>
>-the effect can "trigger" such that new events occur but only if the
>effect can resolve by having legal targets. (ie: not fizzle...but
>fizzle is supposedly misleading....not sure how).

....These three grafs aren't parsing for me. I am not sure where you're
going wrong here, or misinterpreting things, because I'm not at all sure
what you're trying to -say- with any of these here - you're using some terms
that have meanings in Magic and some that don't, but are arranging them in
ways that Magic doesn't use them.

>By the way, I've read the rules albeit somewhat quickly...but I find
>the detail is sometimes too wordy or ambiguous in places explaining
>some of the concepts.

Rereading the rulebook after playing a few games is recommended. Oddly enough
it usually turns out that parts of the rulebook you didn't understand or
you skipped over before will suddenly make sense, and even odder this will
usually keep happening each time you reread it after some time away from it.

>Anyhow, I wonder if there are some sample arguements or cards that have
>been extremely big causes of debate and what can be learned from them.

Oh yes.

>Is there any such links to such material out there?

Well, there's a FAQ that's posted regularly here in three parts; you may
want to look at that. There's the entire archives of the newsgroup, accessible
through Google, but that's a bit much to wade through... And there's the
Oracle, available through gatherer.wizards.com , containing the current
texts for all cards.

Dave

Hylander wrote:

> Since the convert mana cost with an instant with an X is 0, Shining
> Shoal can be imprinted on the Scepter.

Correct

> Because other costs like Kicker can be played, can this apply to the
> alternate casting cost of removing a card in your hand from the game? I
> mean a copy of the "spell" is put onto the stack as the ability
> activates. (did I word that correctly?)

No. You can pay *additional* costs. You CANNOT make X be anything
other than 0.

> IOW, you could have a deck full of medium to higher cc white cards..
> Now you basically have a kind of "reflect damage" (not exactly but
> somewhat close?) on a stick that can reflect a lot.

Nope, doesn't work. You can imprint Sickening Shoal on a Scepter,
but X will always be zero, and you can't change that. Therefore
there's not much point to it.

> You do not pay the spell's mana cost and any X in that cost is zero.

This is the FAQ that answers your question. X is zero. You cannot
make it *not* be zero.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"