Getting Around Epic

Greetings and Salutations!

Let's say someone casts any of the new cards with the Epic mechanic,
and let's ignore any permanents present in the game.

What can the Epic player do?

Draw a card.
Play a land.
Cycle a card.
Channel a card.
Copy the Epic spell.

Am I missing anything?

Cheers, Harry
5 answers Last reply
More about getting epic
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Harry Benkiel <harry.dontspamonme.benkiel@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >Let's say someone casts any of the new cards with the Epic mechanic,
    >and let's ignore any permanents present in the game.
    >
    >What can the Epic player do?
    >
    >Draw a card.
    >Play a land.
    >Cycle a card.
    >Channel a card.
    >Copy the Epic spell.
    >
    >Am I missing anything?

    Well, yes, because you're ignoring permanents. If you limit yourself to only
    looking at things outside the in-play zone, you could also use abilities like
    Carrionette's or Glory's, or Elvish Spirit Guide's. But limiting yourself
    to only what's not in play is a fairly unnatural way of looking at the game...

    So: you can also ATTAAAAAAACK! or block; use activated abilities of permanents;
    have triggered abilities trigger; discard down to MAX_HAND_SIZE in your End
    phase; and have various continuous effects from static abilities affect
    various stuff.

    All you can't do is actually play spells.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Harry Benkiel <harry.dontspamonme.benkiel@mindspring.com> sent:
    > Greetings and Salutations!

    > Let's say someone casts any of the new cards with the Epic mechanic,
    > and let's ignore any permanents present in the game.

    > What can the Epic player do?

    > Draw a card.
    > Play a land.
    > Cycle a card.
    > Channel a card.
    > Copy the Epic spell.

    > Am I missing anything?

    Outside of any permanents in play:

    Play any other abilities of cards in hand or graveyard, like Elvish
    Spirit Guide or Necrosavant, for example; if you happen to get a card
    into your library with an activated ability that only works there,
    then you can play that as well. You'll have to get mana from somewhere
    though, so you'll likely have to unignore some lands.

    Announce any triggered abilities that trigger, such as Genesis or
    Hammer of Bogardan. Both of these will need mana in order for them
    to Do Something, though.

    With the permanents in play, you can of course:

    Play activated abilities.

    Announce triggered abilities.

    Attack and block with creatures.

    --
    -- zoe
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:

    > Play activated abilities.

    Elvish Piper, for one, comes to mind.

    - ∞

    --
    I miei post non sbagliano. E' la realta' ad essere inesatta.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    l0ne <thethinker@email.it.is.not.invalid> wrote:
    >Zoe Stephenson <zrs1@uk.ac.york.reversed> wrote:
    >> Play activated abilities.
    >
    >Elvish Piper, for one, comes to mind.

    Also AEther Vial.

    Dave "and Thawing Glaciers" DeLaney
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules (More info?)

    Greetings and Salutations!

    On 25 May 2005 12:58:05 -0400, dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com (David DeLaney)
    wrote:

    >Harry Benkiel <harry.dontspamonme.benkiel@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >>Let's say someone casts any of the new cards with the Epic mechanic,
    >>and let's ignore any permanents present in the game.
    >>
    >>What can the Epic player do?
    >>
    >>Draw a card.
    >>Play a land.
    >>Cycle a card.
    >>Channel a card.
    >>Copy the Epic spell.
    >>
    >>Am I missing anything?
    >
    >Well, yes, because you're ignoring permanents. If you limit yourself to only
    >looking at things outside the in-play zone, you could also use abilities like
    >Carrionette's or Glory's, or Elvish Spirit Guide's. But limiting yourself
    >to only what's not in play is a fairly unnatural way of looking at the game...
    >
    >So: you can also ATTAAAAAAACK! or block; use activated abilities of permanents;
    >have triggered abilities trigger; discard down to MAX_HAND_SIZE in your End
    >phase; and have various continuous effects from static abilities affect
    >various stuff.
    >
    >All you can't do is actually play spells.

    Well, I asked to ignore permanents because I was pretty sure what I
    could do with those. I was really interested in what could be done
    with cards in hand other than casting spells. Thanks everyone for the