Cannot view "Hidden Icons" on taskbar tray

March 10, 2005 4:48:19 PM

Help.....I did something to change a setting and now I can't remember what I
did so I can change it back. Old age is setting in !
I can no longer access the "Custom Notifications" on the Task Bar Tray to
make any changes. When I right click on the taskbar to show hidden icons, I
get the box with the RED "X" entitled "RESTRICTIONS", and a message that
says: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on
this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I don't want to
revert my drive back to a previous point (yes, I already know how to this
much) if I don't have to, as too many files would change. I'd just like to
know how to go about changing the taskbar tray back to where I can have
access to "checking" or "unchecking" the items I want shown in the tray. Do
you or does anyone else know how to do this? I am using Windows XP Home
Edition, and I'm the only
user.

Can someone help me out here? TIA.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:53:18 PM

Start | Run | Type: gpedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>
Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu
and Taskbar

Look for setting(s) that have benn Enabled

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A66dnZdkUrIeOa3fRVn-tw@centurytel.net,
Louie <iis4uonly@nospamhotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Help.....I did something to change a setting and now I can't remember
> what I did so I can change it back. Old age is setting in !
> I can no longer access the "Custom Notifications" on the Task Bar
> Tray to make any changes. When I right click on the taskbar to show
> hidden icons, I get the box with the RED "X" entitled "RESTRICTIONS",
> and a message that says: "This operation has been cancelled due to
> restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system
> administrator." I don't want to revert my drive back to a previous
> point (yes, I already know how to this much) if I don't have to, as
> too many files would change. I'd just like to know how to go about
> changing the taskbar tray back to where I can have access to
> "checking" or "unchecking" the items I want shown in the tray. Do
> you or does anyone else know how to do this? I am using Windows XP
> Home Edition, and I'm the only
> user.
>

> Can someone help me out here? TIA.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:01:08 PM

Hi Wes~
Thanks for your reply. I tried doing what you said, and I get another error
message telling me that "Windows cannot find gpedit........"
Now what? Any other suggestions?
March 11, 2005 2:03:42 AM

I fixed it !. I finally realized that the "fix" was in my (Norton System
Works), "Extra Features", "System Optimizer", "Start Menu and Taskbar"
settings. Duh...............

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:23:49 AM

Louie,

Sorry, reread your first post and you're using XP Home which does not have
gpedit.msc.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:fd2dnWuR_IJJcK3fRVn-uQ@centurytel.net,
Louie <iis4uonly@nospamhotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wes~
>> Thanks for your reply. I tried doing what you said, and I get
>> another error message telling me that "Windows cannot find
>> gpedit........"
>> Now what? Any other suggestions?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:24:52 AM

Norton strikes again! I would *never* have come up with that in a million
years.

Glad you got it fixed.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.