Dimension 8250 mobo?

I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
fit/mount properly/easily in the case?

Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?

Ike
10 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8250 mobo

    "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    > commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    > PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    > fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >
    > Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >
    > Ike

    In short, you'll run into proprietary issues with the board and it's
    connectors.

    What you could do, however, is to use the board from a Dimension 8300, which
    would bump you up (with appropriate CPU and RAM) to an 800mhz FSB / Dual
    Channel DDR system board.

    As with many upgrades there are cost considerations of course.

    Stew

    The form factor of the 8250 is standard microATX, and the power connectors are
    standard ATX-P4, but that's where the standardization ends. What is not
    standard???

    1. the integrated Dell tray with I/O back panel
    2. the custom 3-pin power connector from the external fan mounted on the back of
    the case
    3. the custom oblong white front panel connector for sound and USB
    4. the custom 30-pin cable connector with teensy-tiny pins, to handle power
    on-off, power LED, hard drive LED and whatever else
    5. maybe something else that escapes me for the moment

    I think that's about it, but these are show-stoppers for anything but another
    Dell board pre-mounted on a tray. If you get another board without tray, you
    may find yourself messing around with the openings for all the connectors on the
    back panel. If you try to install a generic microATX board, you'll spend hours
    matching up everything else. Life is too short.

    In addition to the Dell 8300 board suggested in another posting, I can also
    recommend a later (but not too late) Dell 4000-series board. I have a Dell
    Dimension 4400 case I use for board testing here, and the 8250 board fits in
    perfectly, as does a 4300 board... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:48:38 GMT, "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    >commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    >PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    >fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >
    >Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >
    >Ike

    One more thing. If you get another Dell motherboard for your system, make sure
    it has the retention mechanism for the heat sink and/or cooling fan. In
    particular, the placement of capacitors and other circuitry on the Dimension
    4300 board interferes with the proper use of a generic Intel retention mechanism
    and cooling fan.

    Isn't playing with all this "standard" hardware fun? ... Ben Myers

    wrote:

    >I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    >commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    >PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    >fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >
    >Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >
    >Ike

    "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    > commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    > PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    > fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >
    > Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >
    > Ike

    Thanks for all the good info guys, you've talked me out of it. Time to buy a
    new computer...

    Ike

    > "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    >> commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    >> PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    >> fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >>
    >> Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >>
    >> Ike
    >

    > Thanks for all the good info guys, you've talked me out of it. Time to buy
    > a new computer...
    >
    > Ike

    Well if (depending on your current 8250 configuration/specs) your system is
    "slow" and you're planning on buying a new Dell, I wouldn't waste money on
    the 3000 or 4700 models. You're likely going to want to look at the 8400 or
    XPS (or build your own flamethrower).

    Good luck whichever you choose.

    Stew

    Yes, that PC1066 memory is pretty pricey. Best price I could find for 2x256MB
    was just under $200, nearly double the price of DDR... Ben Myers

    > "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    >>> commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    >>> PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    >>> fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >>>
    >>> Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >>>
    >>> Ike
    >>

    >> Thanks for all the good info guys, you've talked me out of it. Time to
    >> buy a new computer...
    >>
    >> Ike
    >>

    > Well if (depending on your current 8250 configuration/specs) your system
    > is "slow" and you're planning on buying a new Dell, I wouldn't waste money
    > on the 3000 or 4700 models. You're likely going to want to look at the
    > 8400 or XPS (or build your own flamethrower).
    >
    > Good luck whichever you choose.
    >

    > Stew

    The system speed is OK but it only has 256 meg of memory which now isn't
    enough as I run a lot of programs simultaneously-- so I get a lot of disk
    thrashing.

    Ike

    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:29:00 GMT, "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm thinking about replacing the motherboard in my Dimension 8250 with a
    >>> commercially available one that doesn't use the way too expensive Rambus
    >>> PC1066 memory that the 8250 comes with. Will a generally available mobo
    >>> fit/mount properly/easily in the case?
    >>>
    >>> Or is the shape/form factor a Dell-proprietary one?
    >>>
    >>> Ike
    >>

    >>Thanks for all the good info guys, you've talked me out of it. Time to buy
    >>new computer...
    >>
    >>Ike
    >>

    > Yes, that PC1066 memory is pretty pricey. Best price I could find for
    > 2x256MB
    > was just under $200, nearly double the price of DDR... Ben Myers

    That's a better price than I found-- but even that's too much!

    Ike

    > Ben Myerswrote:
    1. the integrated Dell tray with I/O back panel

    Ben,

    Can you tell me a lil more about this? Is the I/O panel and tray 2
    separate pieces? I just bought an 8250 board on eBay that I'm hoping
    to put into my Dell Dimension 8200... My understanding is that the
    board will fit, but of course, the panel and tray are different, and
    the person whom sold me the board doesn't have them.

    Dell's support has been horrible as I've tried to arrange purchasing
    these 2 parts with no luck.

    Anyway, I just want to know if they're seperate from the board and how
    critical they are....

    Thanks a ton!

    -Mike

    OR HOWEVER...
    I will purchase your 8250 Motherboard from you. and you could sell the
    RdRam. for around 170 on ebay.. ( keep your processor Or sell it
    also) and then you could purchas a 8300 that uses the ddr ram. and
    probly still come out ahead whith just a couple bucks to spare....

Dell Dimension Motherboards Computers Product