Recovery Console compatible with SP2?

When I try to install the Recovery Console from my XP CD, attempting to run
d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons returns a Windows Setup alert that says

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to delete the newer
version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files
and settings cannot be recovered."

I'm wondering if Recovery Console is incompatible with SP2. I did have RC
installed and working but probably didn't access it after I applied SP2.
Here are the details...

I have another XP on my E partition that worked fine until recently
(post-XP2, actually), and the boot menu shows the two XPs (C and E
partitions) as well as the Recovery Console. I haven't needed to boot to the
E partition's OS until now, and when I do, it starts to load, shows desktop
wallpaper and a few icons, then goes to a BSOD which disappears to quickly
to read.

So I thought I'd fix it with the Recovery Console. When I select Recovery
Console from the boot menu, the screen clears and there's a flashing
underscore at the top left corner. (Just like the old days, when MS DOS
couldn't find itself.) Recovery Console does not start.

OK, so I decide to uninstall and reinstall. I removed RC as per instructions
in 307654 and restarted. Fine, Recovery Console is no longer listed on the
boot menu. But when I attempt to reinstall it from the XP, I get the above
message.

What's up?

To install recovery console,one must install it BEFORE SP2,otherwise
you'll recieve the message that you recieved...

"John Smith" wrote:

> When I try to install the Recovery Console from my XP CD, attempting to run
> d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons returns a Windows Setup alert that says
>
> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
> newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to delete the newer
> version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files
> and settings cannot be recovered."
>
> I'm wondering if Recovery Console is incompatible with SP2. I did have RC
> installed and working but probably didn't access it after I applied SP2.
> Here are the details...
>
> I have another XP on my E partition that worked fine until recently
> (post-XP2, actually), and the boot menu shows the two XPs (C and E
> partitions) as well as the Recovery Console. I haven't needed to boot to the
> E partition's OS until now, and when I do, it starts to load, shows desktop
> wallpaper and a few icons, then goes to a BSOD which disappears to quickly
> to read.
>
> So I thought I'd fix it with the Recovery Console. When I select Recovery
> Console from the boot menu, the screen clears and there's a flashing
> underscore at the top left corner. (Just like the old days, when MS DOS
> couldn't find itself.) Recovery Console does not start.
>
> OK, so I decide to uninstall and reinstall. I removed RC as per instructions
> in 307654 and restarted. Fine, Recovery Console is no longer listed on the
> boot menu. But when I attempt to reinstall it from the XP, I get the above
> message.
>
> What's up?

Andrew - I DID install it before SP2, but now it doesn't work, so I'm
wondering if SP2 killed it.

That would be good to know before I uninstall SP2, install Recovery Console,
and reinstall SP2.

> To install recovery console,one must install it BEFORE SP2,otherwise
> you'll recieve the message that you recieved...
>
> "John Smith" wrote:
>
>> When I try to install the Recovery Console from my XP CD, attempting to
>> run
>> d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons returns a Windows Setup alert that says
>>
>> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
>> newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to delete the
>> newer
>> version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the
>> files
>> and settings cannot be recovered."
>>
>> I'm wondering if Recovery Console is incompatible with SP2. I did have RC
>> installed and working but probably didn't access it after I applied SP2.
>> Here are the details...
>>
>> I have another XP on my E partition that worked fine until recently
>> (post-XP2, actually), and the boot menu shows the two XPs (C and E
>> partitions) as well as the Recovery Console. I haven't needed to boot to
>> the
>> E partition's OS until now, and when I do, it starts to load, shows
>> desktop
>> wallpaper and a few icons, then goes to a BSOD which disappears to
>> quickly
>> to read.
>>
>> So I thought I'd fix it with the Recovery Console. When I select Recovery
>> Console from the boot menu, the screen clears and there's a flashing
>> underscore at the top left corner. (Just like the old days, when MS DOS
>> couldn't find itself.) Recovery Console does not start.
>>
>> OK, so I decide to uninstall and reinstall. I removed RC as per
>> instructions
>> in 307654 and restarted. Fine, Recovery Console is no longer listed on
>> the
>> boot menu. But when I attempt to reinstall it from the XP, I get the
>> above
>> message.
>>
>> What's up?

If you want to install Recovery Console, you need to create an XP
installation CD with SP2 already integrated. It's called
slipstreaming. Take a look here for the details:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

You'll need the following:
1. Your original XP installation CD.
2. The full version of SP2 which is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
3. A CD burning program, such as Nero, that can burn ISO files.
If not, use this free program:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Note: If you're on a dial-up connection this isn't a realistic
solution since you'd have to download a rather large (as in
266MB) file. That would mean your only option is to uninstall SP2
and install RC from your original XP CD.

Good luck fixing the other XP install. If you can't get it fixed,
you may need the information contained in this article to access
your old files:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

--
Nepatsfan
"John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to install the Recovery Console from my XP CD,
> attempting to run
> d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons returns a Windows Setup alert that
> says
>
> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your
> computer is
> newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to
> delete the newer
> version of Windows that is currently installed on your
> computer, the files
> and settings cannot be recovered."
>
> I'm wondering if Recovery Console is incompatible with SP2. I
> did have RC
> installed and working but probably didn't access it after I
> applied SP2.
> Here are the details...
>
> I have another XP on my E partition that worked fine until
> recently
> (post-XP2, actually), and the boot menu shows the two XPs (C
> and E
> partitions) as well as the Recovery Console. I haven't needed
> to boot to the
> E partition's OS until now, and when I do, it starts to load,
> shows desktop
> wallpaper and a few icons, then goes to a BSOD which disappears
> to quickly
> to read.
>
> So I thought I'd fix it with the Recovery Console. When I
> select Recovery
> Console from the boot menu, the screen clears and there's a
> flashing
> underscore at the top left corner. (Just like the old days,
> when MS DOS
> couldn't find itself.) Recovery Console does not start.
>
> OK, so I decide to uninstall and reinstall. I removed RC as per
> instructions
> in 307654 and restarted. Fine, Recovery Console is no longer
> listed on the
> boot menu. But when I attempt to reinstall it from the XP, I
> get the above
> message.
>
> What's up?

Thanks! (Looks like a bigger job than I was anticipating!)