Oathkeeper / Ashes combo?

Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho 3
Legendary Artifact - Equipment CHK-Rare

Equipped creature gets +3/+1.
Whenever equipped creature is put into the graveyard from play,
return that card to play under your control if it's a Samurai.
If Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho is put into a graveyard from play,
remove equipped creature from the game.
Equip 2

Ashes of the Fallen 2
Artifact SOK-Rare
As Ashes of the Fallen comes into play, choose a creature type.
Each creature card in your graveyard has the chosen creature type
in addition to its other types.

If I have an Ashes of the Fallen out and have chosen the creature type
'Samurai', will *any* creature equipped with Oathkeeper return to play
when it goes to a graveyard?

.... ...
Remus Shepherd <remus@panix.com>

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 02:23:15 +0000 (UTC), Remus Shepherd <remus@panix.com> wrote:
>Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho 3 Legendary Artifact - Equipment
>
> Equipped creature gets +3/+1. / Whenever equipped creature is put into the
> graveyard from play, return that card to play under your control if it's a
> Samurai. / If ~ is put into a graveyard from play, remove equipped creature
> from the game. / Equip 2

?? ...No, that's not what Oracle says - did you type this in from someone
else's spoiler? The third ability is triggered, and starts with "When", not
"If". "If" doesn't denote a specific sort of ability at all. (If in the right
place, it can make a triggered ability into a conditional triggered ability ...
but that ALSO isn't happening here, either for the third ability or the second
one.)

The check whether the card in the graveyard is a Samurai is made only on
resolution of ability #2. They specifically did not want it to use "last
known information about the creature as it left play".

>Ashes of the Fallen 2 Artifact
> As ~ comes into play, choose a creature type. / Each creature card in your
> graveyard has the chosen creature type in addition to its other types.

Yes, this will nicely affect whether Oathkeeper's second ability can return
a card.

> If I have an Ashes of the Fallen out and have chosen the creature type
>'Samurai', will *any* creature equipped with Oathkeeper return to play
>when it goes to a graveyard?

Not "any", but yes for what you're thinking. Any _card_ creature that goes to
_your_ graveyard as it dies, and stays there until Oathkeeper's triggered
ability resolves, will be found to be a Samurai in addition to its other
types, and will get returned. Tokens won't come back; cards that go to
opponent's graveyard because you stole them somehow won't be Samurai from
the Ashes (but can still come back if it's naturally a Samurai card or if
opponent has ALSO got an Ashes set to "Samurai"; and cards that leave the
graveyard again before Oathkeeper's triggered ability resolves won't be found.

Dave

David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> Remus Shepherd <remus@panix.com> wrote:
> ?? ...No, that's not what Oracle says - did you type this in from someone
> else's spoiler?

Yes, it was a cut-and-paste from Workstation. Sorry about that.

> > If I have an Ashes of the Fallen out and have chosen the creature type
> >'Samurai', will *any* creature equipped with Oathkeeper return to play
> >when it goes to a graveyard?

> Not "any", but yes for what you're thinking. Any _card_ creature that goes to
> _your_ graveyard as it dies, and stays there until Oathkeeper's triggered
> ability resolves, will be found to be a Samurai in addition to its other
> types, and will get returned.

Excellent. That means that for the low cost of 2 colorless mana (to equip
the Oathkeeper), I can repeatedly use abilities like Sakura-Tribe Elder,
Kami of False Hope, Frostling, etc. Or, with another sacrifice outlet in
play, repeatedly trigger any creature with a 'come into play' effect.

I'll get started on my Oath/Ashes/Nekrataal deck immediately. :)

.... ...
Remus Shepherd <remus@panix.com>