Geforce FX 5900 VS Quadro 4 750XGL

joelchen

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
Hihi~

I'd like to know which of these 2 cards I should get for each of the following 3 scenarios:

1. I'm a DCC artist using apps like 3ds max, Maya, Softimage|XSI, Houdini.
2. I'm a gamer who plays games most of the time.
3. I'm a game programmer who deals with the integration of 3D works and C++ code.

The reason I've chosen to compare between Geforce FX 5900 (non-ultra) and Quadro 4 750XGL is because they're easier to compare since they have almost similar price, and also they both have 128MB memory.

After searching the internet far and wide, I still can't find any benchmark between a Geforce and a Quadro of similar pricing. If u found one, pls let me know.

I've read in the NVIDIA's site with a PDF about the major differences between Geforce and Quadro. However, they compared Quadro and Geforce cards of different pricing, just like the other benchmarks I found.

I know there're optimisations made for Quadro cards with 3D apps, but the newest Geforce cards with similar pricing have more technological advances added. Hence the tradeoff is unknown to me until I see one fair Geforce VS Quadro benchmark.

Under scenario 1, if Geforce FX 5900 card outperforms Quadro 4 750XGL card in terms of DCC in 3D apps, I know it's better value for money when it drops below the price of Quadro 4 750XGL u see.

I'll be glad if there're 3D card reviewers willing to compare a Geforce against a Quadro on a fair basis, in the near future...

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
one question: what cpu are you using?
Both cards are great, but since you also prefer gaming i would consider getting the 5900 ultra which can handle both gaming and designing rather than the quadro

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
This is a big misconception that quadros cannot play games well, they in fact can, the performance difference is a few fps. However, the FX5900 is much newer and faster, so I beleive it would run faster in DCC as well. However, I am worried if you will be using raw power only or its features since it will not be seen as a quadro.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

joelchen

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
If Geforce FX 5900 is better than Quadro 4 750XGL in terms of performance, why then there's a market for workstation graphics cards, besides a few advantages like 3D apps optimisations and multi-screen viewing capabilities?