Windows Picture and Fax viewer?

March 10, 2005 8:00:57 PM

How can I keep this program from taking over my computer?

I have my file associations for .jpg, .gif, .bmp etc. set to be opened by
LView Pro. However, ever since I installed Windows Media Player 10, this
Picture and Fax viewer has taken over. Everytime I double click a jpg, gif
or bmp file, it opens in the viewer instead of LView. I have checked Folder
Options and it shows these files are still associated with LView. How can I
get rid of this invasive Viewer?
--

March 10, 2005 8:00:58 PM

Open 'My Pictures'
Right click on a GIF file
Left click on 'open with'
Left click on 'choose program'
In the list that you will see, left click on LViewPro [or 'browse' to find it]
Under the list of programs, there is a 'check box' to select 'always use the
selected program to open this kind of file'

Now repeat this for JPG and others that you want to default to LVew.

"jetjock" wrote:

> How can I keep this program from taking over my computer?
>
> I have my file associations for .jpg, .gif, .bmp etc. set to be opened by
> LView Pro. However, ever since I installed Windows Media Player 10, this
> Picture and Fax viewer has taken over. Everytime I double click a jpg, gif
> or bmp file, it opens in the viewer instead of LView. I have checked Folder
> Options and it shows these files are still associated with LView. How can I
> get rid of this invasive Viewer?
> --

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:00:58 PM

Disable Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak148.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:rck131h0vfnhtkqjk9pqa8oql2tkd9jp8e@4ax.com,
jetjock <jetjock@hanger.> hunted and pecked:
> How can I keep this program from taking over my computer?
>
> I have my file associations for .jpg, .gif, .bmp etc. set to be
> opened by LView Pro. However, ever since I installed Windows Media
> Player 10, this Picture and Fax viewer has taken over. Everytime I
> double click a jpg, gif or bmp file, it opens in the viewer instead
> of LView. I have checked Folder Options and it shows these files are
> still associated with LView. How can I get rid of this invasive
> Viewer? --

March 11, 2005 2:13:39 AM

That fixed it ! I sure would have thought that "associating" a file type
with a program would be enough (used to be), but I guess not. Thanks.

--

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:14:51 AM

See post from BAR. His idea fixed it. Thanks.

!