External Hard Drives

jeff

I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive. Are
these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal drives are
BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was thinking of
getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble. Thanks
Jeff

The XPS T600 has USB 1.1 ports, which will run a lot slower than USB 2.0.

The operating system you use may impose some limitations as to the maximum size
of partition it supports. If you install a USB 2.0 card to get around USB 1.1
limitations, the OS may not support USB 2.0 properly... Ben Myers

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:38:07 -0500, "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive. Are
>these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal drives are
>BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was thinking of
>getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble. Thanks
>Jeff

jeff

I installed a USB 2.0 card and am running Windows XP Pro. Would I still
have a limitation? The card is functioning OK. Thanks Jeff

> The XPS T600 has USB 1.1 ports, which will run a lot slower than USB 2.0.
>
> The operating system you use may impose some limitations as to the maximum
size
> of partition it supports. If you install a USB 2.0 card to get around USB
1.1
> limitations, the OS may not support USB 2.0 properly... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:38:07 -0500, "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive. Are
> >these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal drives
are
> >BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was thinking
of
> >getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble. Thanks
> >Jeff

Jeff,

XP Pro and USB 2.0 should overcome the various limitations imposed by older
technology... Ben Myers

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:51:20 -0500, "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>I installed a USB 2.0 card and am running Windows XP Pro. Would I still
>have a limitation? The card is functioning OK. Thanks Jeff

>> The XPS T600 has USB 1.1 ports, which will run a lot slower than USB 2.0.
>>
>> The operating system you use may impose some limitations as to the maximum
>size
>> of partition it supports. If you install a USB 2.0 card to get around USB
>1.1
>> limitations, the OS may not support USB 2.0 properly... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:38:07 -0500, "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive. Are
>> >these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal drives
>are
>> >BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was thinking
>of
>> >getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble. Thanks
>> >Jeff

jeff

Thanks for you help. Jeff

> Jeff,
>
> XP Pro and USB 2.0 should overcome the various limitations imposed by
older
> technology... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:51:20 -0500, "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I installed a USB 2.0 card and am running Windows XP Pro. Would I still
> >have a limitation? The card is functioning OK. Thanks Jeff
> >
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> The XPS T600 has USB 1.1 ports, which will run a lot slower than USB
2.0.

> >> The operating system you use may impose some limitations as to the
maximum
> >size
> >> of partition it supports. If you install a USB 2.0 card to get around
USB
> >1.1
> >> limitations, the OS may not support USB 2.0 properly... Ben Myers

Are
> >are
> >of
Thanks

Jeff <barje80@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive. Are
> these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal drives are
> BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was thinking of
> getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble. Thanks
> Jeff

Shouldn't be a problem. I have a 250GB external attached to my computer
via firewire and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). The drive can
also use USB and I've connected it to my laptop as well. Desktop runs
Win2k, laptop runs XP-Pro.

No problems.

jeff

Thanks, what brand did you get? Thinking of WD or Maxtor. Jeff

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> Jeff <barje80@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive. Are
> > these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal drives
are
> > BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was
thinking of
> > getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble.
Thanks
> > Jeff
>
> Shouldn't be a problem. I have a 250GB external attached to my computer
> via firewire and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). The drive can
> also use USB and I've connected it to my laptop as well. Desktop runs
> Win2k, laptop runs XP-Pro.
>
> No problems.

I've fried 3 Maxtor drives in external cases -- one generic case, one actual
Maxtor.

They overheat if you actually use them -- as opposed to very light use.

Never another Maxtor
"Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, what brand did you get? Thinking of WD or Maxtor. Jeff
>

> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
>> Jeff <barje80@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>> > I have a Dell XPS T600 and want to get an USB external hard drive.
>> > Are
>> > these drives recognized say larger than 80 gigs. I know internal
>> > drives
> are
>> > BIOS dependent because larger drives won't be recognized. I was
> thinking of
>> > getting a 120 gig and want to make sure I won't have any trouble.
> Thanks
>> > Jeff
>>
>> Shouldn't be a problem. I have a 250GB external attached to my computer
>> via firewire and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). The drive can
>> also use USB and I've connected it to my laptop as well. Desktop runs
>> Win2k, laptop runs XP-Pro.
>>
>> No problems.

jeff

Thanks

> I've fried 3 Maxtor drives in external cases -- one generic case, one
actual
> Maxtor.
>
> They overheat if you actually use them -- as opposed to very light use.
>
> Never another Maxtor
> "Jeff" <barje80@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, what brand did you get? Thinking of WD or Maxtor. Jeff
> >

> > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> > are
> > thinking of
> > Thanks
> >>
> >> Shouldn't be a problem. I have a 250GB external attached to my
computer
> >> via firewire and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). The drive
can
> >> also use USB and I've connected it to my laptop as well. Desktop runs
> >> Win2k, laptop runs XP-Pro.
> >>
> >> No problems.

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I got a 250G Maxtor and really like it. Only complaint I have is that
it is loud.