More Saviors of Kamigawa questions

Hi all,

Thanks to all who answered my previous questions. I have more questions
now and, again, I will appreciate if somebody could answer them:

1) I attack with an animated land (for example's sake, let's say it is a
Stalking Stones) and my opponent blocks it with a creature that will
deal lethal damage to it. After damage has been asigned but before it
resolves, I play Shifting Borders targeting the Stalking Stones and one
of my opponent's lands. Assuming nothing else is played, what will
happen when damage resolves? Will the Stalking Stones end up in my
graveyard (and I will now control the land I exchanged control with?)

Stalking Stones
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool
(6): Stalking Stones becomes a 3/3 artifact creature that's still a land.

Shifting Borders
(3)(U)
Instant - Arcane
Exchange control of two target lands.
Splice onto Arcane (3)(U)

2) I play Otherworldly Journey targeting my Maga, Traitor to Mortals. At
the end of my turn, when Maga returns, will my oponent lose one life? I
would assume so, as Maga came/return into play with one counter (thanks
to the Otherworldly Journey).

Maga, Traitor to Mortals
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
(X)(B)(B)(B)
0/0
Maga, Traitor to Mortals comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Maga comes into play, target player loses life equal to the number
of +1/+1 counters on it.

Otherworldly Journey
Instant - Arcane
Remove target creature from the game. At end of turn, return that
creature to play under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.

Thanks!

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:20:42 GMT, Francisco Ho <fxho@yahoo.com> wrote:
>1) I attack with an animated land (for example's sake, let's say it is a
>Stalking Stones) and my opponent blocks it with a creature that will
>deal lethal damage to it. After damage has been asigned but before it
>resolves, I play Shifting Borders targeting the Stalking Stones and one
>of my opponent's lands. Assuming nothing else is played, what will
>happen when damage resolves? Will the Stalking Stones end up in my
>graveyard (and I will now control the land I exchanged control with?)

The Shifting Borders will resolve, exchanging control of the two lands. This
will remove your Stones from combat in the process. Then, assuming nothing
else happens, the combat damage will resolve as assigned; once it's assigned
it doesn't care whether what it's headed to is in combat or not, so the
Stones will be dealt lethal combat damage from the creature (and the creature
will be dealt 3 combat damage from the no-longer-attacking Stones). And will
go to your graveyard.

End result: you control the land you swapped for the Stones, and the Stones
card is in your graveyard. Shifting Borders doesn't care what may happen
AFTER the exchange of control gets done...

>2) I play Otherworldly Journey targeting my Maga, Traitor to Mortals. At
>the end of my turn, when Maga returns, will my oponent lose one life? I
>would assume so, as Maga came/return into play with one counter (thanks
>to the Otherworldly Journey).

Yes, exactly. (Since you're not casting it as a spell, X is zero, but it
gets one counter from the Journey.) Maga doesn't say "target player loses
X life"; the life loss is tied to the number of counters, as you note.

Dave

Francisco Ho <fxho@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to all who answered my previous questions. I have more questions
> now and, again, I will appreciate if somebody could answer them:
>
> 1) I attack with an animated land (for example's sake, let's say it is a
> Stalking Stones) and my opponent blocks it with a creature that will
> deal lethal damage to it. After damage has been asigned but before it
> resolves, I play Shifting Borders targeting the Stalking Stones and one
> of my opponent's lands. Assuming nothing else is played, what will
> happen when damage resolves? Will the Stalking Stones end up in my
> graveyard (and I will now control the land I exchanged control with?)

When you exchange control of the Stalking Stones, they are removed from
combat, but combat damage is already assigned to it, so it's going to
get dealt to it eventually.
So, yes, you'll exchange control (getting a land in the process), then
combat damage will come along and kill the Stones, if I'm not mistaken.

> 2) I play Otherworldly Journey targeting my Maga, Traitor to Mortals. At
> the end of my turn, when Maga returns, will my oponent lose one life? I
> would assume so, as Maga came/return into play with one counter (thanks
> to the Otherworldly Journey).

<Thought-O-Matic>:
- (you played Otherwordly Journey sometime in the past)
- Otherwordly Journey's delayed ability resolves. Maga comes into play
with a +1/+1 counter on it.
- Maga comes into play, so its ability triggers. After OJ's delayed
ability resolves, Maga's ability goes on the stack. You choose a target
for it.
- (let's assume nothing else happens)
- Maga's ability resolves, counts +1/+1 counters on Maga, finds 1, makes
its target lose 1 life.

So, yes.

- ∞

--
I miei post non sbagliano. E' la realta' ad essere inesatta.