i have a client's computer that i resently put new parts into and
reinstalled their OS.

new parts:
harddrive
cd burner
NIC
and removed the 128 Ram chip and replaced with a 512

install went well, not even a driver problem.....

BUT, then soon afterwards the system would reboot.
did all the scans for adware, spyware, trojans, viruses, all is clean.
checked the event log and found this:

product: windows operating system
ID: 4
source: acpi
version 5.2
symbolic name: ACPI_ERR_AMLI_ILLEGAL_IO_READ_FATAL
message: %2: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address
(%3), which lies in the %4 protected address range. this could lead to
system instability. please contact your system vendor for technical
assistance.

ok, I have built and repaired alot of systems, but this one is new to me.
little input would be helpful.

with continuing research what i find is that something is trying to access:
0xCF8 - 0xCFF PCI Configuration Space Access Pair

as before all input is welcome

Don't know the cause of this problem, but it could be worth checking for a
new BIOS for the motherboard. ACPI problems are often resolved with BIOS
updates.
hth
Mike

"EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> with continuing research what i find is that something is trying to
> access:
> 0xCF8 - 0xCFF PCI Configuration Space Access Pair
>
> as before all input is welcome

ok, i went to the clients location after hours of researching both error
msgs.
got to checking things, and found that the Microsoft ACPI, both USB hosts,
the audio , the NIC and the video , were all on IRQ11.

straightened that out and thing (hope) that it's fixed now.

You will also get this message if you run OLD '98 or '95 programs not
designed for XPs exacting standards. In that case just disregard the
message and carry on.

Doug
====