Priority Sequence for each player

Hello.

Suppose Player 1 is the active player and Player 2 is his opponent.

Player 1 has priority and plays a spell.
I'm quite sure that Player 1 gets priority next and so on until he passes
it.

What I'm not sure is when Player 2 eventually gets priority (because Player
1 passed it to him) and plays a spell, who gets priority next?

Basically the same question reworded is, does the active player always get
the next priority, or is the player who played the last spell get the next
priority?

I've read the comprehensive rules and cannot find the section that pertains
to this. Can someone give me a quick answer as well as pointing out where in
the rules it covers this.

Jimmy Wong wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Suppose Player 1 is the active player and Player 2 is his opponent.
>
> Player 1 has priority and plays a spell.
> I'm quite sure that Player 1 gets priority next and so on until he passes
> it.
>
> What I'm not sure is when Player 2 eventually gets priority (because
> Player 1 passed it to him) and plays a spell, who gets priority next?

Player 2. Once a player has priority, he keeps it until he passes.

> Basically the same question reworded is, does the active player always get
> the next priority, or is the player who played the last spell get the next
> priority?

The player who played the last spell/ability gets priority. Once both
players pass in succession and a spell/ability resolves, the active
player gets priority to start the cycle again.

> I've read the comprehensive rules and cannot find the section that
> pertains to this. Can someone give me a quick answer as well as pointing
> out where in the rules it covers this.

See rule 408.1 "Timing, Priority, and the Stack". Specifically 408.1c:

408.1c The active player gets priority at the beginning of most phases and
steps, after any game actions are dealt with and abilities that trigger at
the beginning of that phase or step go on the stack. No player gets priority
during the untap step and players usually don't get priority during the
cleanup step (see rule 314.3). The player with priority may either play a
spell or ability, take a special action, or pass. >>If he or she plays a
spell or ability, or takes a special action, the player again receives
priority;<< otherwise, his or her opponent receives priority. If both
players pass in succession (that is, if both players pass without taking any
actions in between passing), the top object on the stack resolves, then the
active player receives priority. If the stack is empty when both players
pass in succession, the phase or step ends and the next one begins.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:23:02 GMT, Jimmy Wong <j4389130@telus.net> wrote:
>Suppose Player 1 is the active player and Player 2 is his opponent.

Okay.

>Player 1 has priority and plays a spell.
>I'm quite sure that Player 1 gets priority next and so on until he passes
>it.

Yes. Once a player adds a spell, or activated ability, to the stack, that
player gets priority again.

>What I'm not sure is when Player 2 eventually gets priority (because Player
>1 passed it to him) and plays a spell, who gets priority next?

Player 2 does, because Player 2 just added a spell to the stack. Each player
keeps priority until he (or she) actually -passes-.

After a spell or activated ability gets played, the player who had priority
before gets it again.

After combat damage gets added to the stack, and after most steps or phases
begin, active player gets priority. Similarly, after anything resolves OFF
the stack, active player gets priority.

If one player passes, then
a) if the other player had just passed, the top thing on the stack resolves, or
(if it's empty) the current step/phase ends and the next begins.
b) if the other player had NOT just passed, that player gets priority.

>Basically the same question reworded is, does the active player always get
>the next priority, or is the player who played the last spell get the next
>priority?

The player who played a spell gets priority next. It does not keep going
back to active player for putting things ONTO the stack. (For resolving
things off the stack, it does.)

>I've read the comprehensive rules and cannot find the section that pertains
>to this. Can someone give me a quick answer as well as pointing out where in
>the rules it covers this.

408.1 is the section that covers this in general, and 408.1c does so
specifically: "... The player with priority may either play a spell or ability,
take a special action, or pass. If he or she plays a spell or ability, or takes
a special action, the player again receives priority; otherwise, his or her
opponent receives priority. ..."

Dave

Jimmy Wong <j4389130@telus.net> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Suppose Player 1 is the active player and Player 2 is his opponent.
>
> Player 1 has priority and plays a spell.
> I'm quite sure that Player 1 gets priority next and so on until he passes
> it.
>
> What I'm not sure is when Player 2 eventually gets priority (because Player
> 1 passed it to him) and plays a spell, who gets priority next?

Player 2. "If he or she plays a spell or ability, or takes a special
action, the player again receives priority; otherwise, his or her
opponent receives priority." [CR 408.1c]

> Basically the same question reworded is, does the active player always get
> the next priority, or is the player who played the last spell get the next
> priority?

The active player gets priority when something resolves, and at the
start of most phases/steps.

> I've read the comprehensive rules and cannot find the section that pertains
> to this. Can someone give me a quick answer as well as pointing out where in
> the rules it covers this.

408.1. Timing, Priority, and the Stack
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

gil-galad

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

The active player always gets the priority at the beginning of a
phase/step. After that the player who has the priority always gets the
next priority. So if Player 1 pass the priority to Player 2, Player 2
will always get priority until he pass it to Player 1.

It's in section 408.1b) and 408.1c)

Carl