Regenerate and controlling creatures

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Two questions concerning regeneration:

1) Can I set up lots of regeneration shields if I want to in order to
avoid mana burn, or to tap out lands?

2) I have a 1/1 creature with 1: regenerate. I also have a vanilla
1/1. I declare an attack and send in both.
In response, my opponent takes control of the regenerator using ray of
command. This will untap the creature and allow it to block my other
1/1.
My opponent is hoping to have the two creatures kill eachother.
In order to thwart this evil plan, can I set up a regeneration shield
on the 1/1 before my opponent takes control of it?

Thanks.

Phil.

phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk <phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk> wrote:
>Two questions concerning regeneration:
>
>1) Can I set up lots of regeneration shields if I want to in order to
>avoid mana burn, or to tap out lands?

If you have some repeatable way to do so, sure. (Say, an ability that says
"G: Regenerate <this creature>.".) Setting up the shield does nothing at all
except set it up; _using_ it, preventing the destruction, is what has the
various side-effects on the creature.

Playing an ability that's going to regenerate something on resolution does
NOT need for there to be something Visible In the Future that will destroy
the permanent, does NOT need to "have pending damage waiting", or anything
like that. If the shield gets set up and never used, it lasts until end of
turn, then quietly expires.

>2) I have a 1/1 creature with 1: regenerate. I also have a vanilla
>1/1. I declare an attack and send in both.
>In response, my opponent takes control of the regenerator using ray of
>command. This will untap the creature and allow it to block my other
>1/1.

Yes, when Ray of Command resolves. (This will also remove it from combat,
so that it's no longer attacking.)

>My opponent is hoping to have the two creatures kill eachother.
>In order to thwart this evil plan, can I set up a regeneration shield
>on the 1/1 before my opponent takes control of it?

Sure. You may use the "1: Regenerate <this>." ability in response to the Ray
of Command spell; the ability will go on the stack on top of the spell, and
will resolve first, setting up the shield on the creature. The shield will
then wait for something this turn that tries to destroy the creature; the
shield won't care who controls the creature at that point. If the destruction
is because "I have 1 damage on me from combat damage, and 1 toughness", it
will replace that state-based effect's destruction as happily as it would have
any other destruction.

This won't stop him taking control of it, of course - it doesn't counter the
Ray spell or anything - and doesn't stop him from blocking with it either.
It just means that if he does, the stolen 1/1 won't die in the process. (And
that after Ray of Command wears off you'll get it back.)

Dave

phil@ideastakingshape.co.uk sent:
> Two questions concerning regeneration:

> 1) Can I set up lots of regeneration shields if I want to in order to
> avoid mana burn, or to tap out lands?

Yes. You can play the regenerate ability even if there's nothing you
can see that could possibly destroy the creature. The shields will
just expire at the end of the turn if nothing tried to destroy the
creature in the meantime.

> 2) I have a 1/1 creature with 1: regenerate. I also have a vanilla
> 1/1. I declare an attack and send in both.
> In response,

No such thing as 'in response' here. 'In response' means 'while that
is on the stack', and declaring an attack doesn't use the stack. What
actually happens is that you have to give priority to the opponent in
order to leave the declare attackers step and move on to the declare
blockers step, so that's the point at which...

> my opponent takes control of the regenerator using ray of
> command. This will untap the creature and allow it to block my other
> 1/1.
> My opponent is hoping to have the two creatures kill eachother.
> In order to thwart this evil plan, can I set up a regeneration shield
> on the 1/1 before my opponent takes control of it?

You can indeed set up that regeneration shield, and when the lethal
damage from your remaining 1/1 would destroy it, it regenerates
instead. Regenerating isn't optional (well-placed regeneration
shields in multiplayer games are a good political tool, for example).

--
-- zoe