Cranial Extraction Question

If I splice Consuming Vortex onto a Cranial Extraction, targeting and
naming an opponent's creature respectively, does that creature get
removed by the Extraction?

Consuming Vortex
Instant-Arcane
1U
Return target creature to its owner's hand.
Splice onto Arcane 3U

Cranial Extraction
Sorcery-Arcane
3B
Name a nonland card. Search target player's graveyard, hand, and
library for all cards with that name and remove them from the game.
Then that player shuffles his or her library.

Terry

Terry Detrie <detrie@comcast.net> wrote:
>If I splice Consuming Vortex onto a Cranial Extraction, targeting and
>naming an opponent's creature respectively, does that creature get
>removed by the Extraction?
>
>Consuming Vortex Instant-Arcane 1U
> Return target creature to its owner's hand. / Splice onto Arcane 3U
>
>Cranial Extraction Sorcery-Arcane 3B
> Name a nonland card. Search target player's graveyard, hand, and library for
> all cards with that name and remove them from the game. Then that player
> shuffles his or her library.

Nope, because it is still in play at the time the Cranial Extraction's text
is processed. A Spliced-on card has its text added to the spell it is spliced
onto AFTER the text that is already there. Your result will be to _first_ do
the Cranial Extraction thing for cards of that name (and notice that you
name the card on RESOLUTION, while the target added by Consuming Vortex has
to be chosen on ANNOUNCEMENT - so you had the right order there, you target,
then some time later name), which will happily ignore the creature in play
with that name because Cranial Extraction doesn't say it looks in play at
all, _then_ to return the target creature to owner's hand.

Dave

Terry Detrie <detrie@comcast.net> wrote:

> If I splice Consuming Vortex onto a Cranial Extraction, targeting and
> naming an opponent's creature respectively, does that creature get
> removed by the Extraction?

> Consuming Vortex
> Instant-Arcane
> 1U
> Return target creature to its owner's hand.
> Splice onto Arcane 3U

> Cranial Extraction
> Sorcery-Arcane
> 3B
> Name a nonland card. Search target player's graveyard, hand, and
> library for all cards with that name and remove them from the game.
> Then that player shuffles his or her library.

> Terry

I'd say no. This is because splicing card B onto card A tacks card B's
text onto the *end* of card A's original text (if you splice two or more
cards on at the same time, you can choose their order, but the text of
the 'original' spell will still come first), and you still follow the
instructions in the order they're 'written'. So you'd first search for
the named card (as per Cranial Extraction) and *then* return the targeted
creature to its owner's hand, by which time your search would be already
over.

Of course, Dave can probably explain the details better...as well as
correct me if I've goofed somewhere. :)

--
Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
#include <disclaimer.h>