Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen on Boot

Last response: in Windows XP
May 8, 2003 9:59:00 AM

I have BT ADSL broadband and there is a problem where whenever i receive an incoming phone call my internet connection is lost and my pc completely freezes. You cannot ctrl+alt+del it and have to manually switch it off then on again. This is extremely annoying as you can imagine (any suggestions why it is happening?)

99.9% of the time this is not a major problem. However there is the 0.01% where the pc has frozen, I have rebooted and the PC has hung with a black screen just after the 'loading XP bar'.

What has happened to my PC at this point? I can boot into safe mode ok but cannot get it to load windows normally. I tried to restore to old point but to no avail. Try removing graphics drivers etc.

This is the 3rd time i have had to format and re-install the software etc and i am getting tired of doing that!

What do you think is happening?

More about : black screen boot

May 8, 2003 4:43:27 PM

Do you have low pass filters installed on all phones connected on your ADSL?

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
May 9, 2003 7:37:10 AM

yes I have 2 different microfilters that I have tried that were supplied by BT.

Phone socket -> extension cable -> filter -> USB Alcatel speedtouch modem

I was reading up on this problem and think that the constant turning off of the computer may have corrupted the master boot record - hence the black screen. Would you agree with this?
!