IBM Unveils Supercomputer to Compete on Jeopardy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
one step closer to terminator units running around cleaning up the human race after ibm's watson concludes that we are the problem, a danger to the planet and it the solution to our problems.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]aalkema[/nom]Did it win? What's it going to do with all the cash?[/citation]

I'm sure it didn't compete yet. As for what it plans to do if it wins... Its going to Disneyland! I heard its looking forward to riding on Splash Mountain but something tells me that's a bad idea...

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What is unfair, Alex?

"Sean Connery: I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier.

Alex Trebek: What? No. No, no, that is The Pen is Mightier.

Sean Connery: Gussy it up however you want, Trebek. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis man?

Alex Trebek: It's not a product Mr. Connery.

Sean Connery: Because I've ordered devices like that before, wasted a pretty penny, I don't mind telling you. And if The Penis Mightier works, I'll order a dozen.

Alex Trebek: It's not a Penis Mightier, Mr. Connery. There's no such thing!

Nicholas Cage: Wait, wait, wait.. are you selling Penis Mightiers?

Alex Trebek: No! No, I'm not.

Sean Connery: Well, you're sitting on a gold mine, Trebek!"

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
hopefully the categories for the super computer will b: "the feeling u get when ur loved"..."wat emotion to show at the face of death"..."colors of the human soul"...and "hanson and/or jonas brothers" the last 1 will b tricky even 4 actual non stupid band watching humans!

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]one step closer to terminator units running around cleaning up the human race after ibm's watson concludes that we are the problem, a danger to the planet and it the solution to our problems.[/citation]

then terminator XP will be prone to virus attacks.

G

In the development of artificial intelligence, I would hope that they would keep all forms of religious material away from Watson least they should have the misfortune of the system developing self awareness and declare a holy war on us for our sins.

I can just see it now a self aware, religious fanatic computer system hell bent on retribution!

Quick Scotty! Pull the Plug on that thing!

What plug Captain? The darn'd thing ain't got no plug fer me to pull.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]thepinkpanther[/nom]hopefully the categories for the super computer will b: "the feeling u get when ur loved"..."wat emotion to show at the face of death"..."colors of the human soul"...and "hanson and/or jonas brothers" the last 1 will b tricky even 4 actual non stupid band watching humans![/citation]

Lol and watch it answer all those questions perfectly.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]In the development of artificial intelligence, I would hope that they would keep all forms of religious material away from Watson least they should have the misfortune of the system developing self awareness and declare a holy war on us for our sins.I can just see it now a self aware, religious fanatic computer system hell bent on retribution! Quick Scotty! Pull the Plug on that thing!What plug Captain? The darn'd thing ain't got no plug fer me to pull.[/citation]
If it were as simple as getting rid of religion...how easy that would be. But the problem has never really been religion, it's people, man. People.

G

It may be people, but when it comes to religion, many people throughout history interpret it how they see fit and use it as an excuse to do terrible things.

So if a self aware computer system were to read all the religious text that is out there, what's to say that the system might just take things literally and decide that us humans are the disease and turn against us?

It's the human element and the sum of our experience that allows us to interpret such teachings and use them as they were meant to be used.

Knowledge without experience can readily lead to disaster and a self aware computer system would not have the element of experience to fall back on.

For decades, mankind has dreamed of self aware machines and they have also feared the possibility of such machines turning against us. All you have to do to see this is look at all the science fiction books that have been written on this subject and all the horror films and sci-fi shows created over the decades.

Religion is more of a philosophical subject which needs the human element if it is to be interpreted correctly which is why I say to keep such material away from the Watson system.

I would not want to live in such an era in which the Terminator story line becomes reality.

In the development of AI machines, I would hope that scientists would include safeguards to keep the machines from turning on us no matter how remote the possibility might be.

After all, us humans do enough violence without the need for a self aware machine deciding that we are the disease.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I'm sure it didn't compete yet. As for what it plans to do if it wins... Its going to Disneyland! I heard its looking forward to riding on Splash Mountain but something tells me that's a bad idea...[/citation]
Nah, he's going to "mineral oil" splash mountain, he will be fine.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]one step closer to terminator units running around cleaning up the human race after ibm's watson concludes that we are the problem, a danger to the planet and it the solution to our problems.[/citation]

hmm....skynet?

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Bill Gates is here[/nom]But will it play Crysis at 2560x1600, 16xAA, and 16xAF?[/citation]

It's capable of running those settings, but it just isn't interested in run and gun shooters no matter how pretty they are. Just get it addicted to WOW and we don't have to worry about it doing anything else. I bet it would really enjoy eve online too.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]"Sean Connery: I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier.[/citation]
Thats hilarious if you think in the actors voices, or better yet, get some impersonators to act it out.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom]Thats hilarious if you think in the actors voices, or better yet, get some impersonators to act it out.[/citation]

I believe there was a Saturday Night Live skit about this or something similar.

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
"...The company says it intends to use the technology being developed for Watson to help clients across a wide variety of industries answer business questions quickly and accurately."

very soon customer service and call centers are going to lose completely their jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.