Ethereal Haze vs. channel abilities (Jiwari/Arashi)

Hello all!

I have a question: does Ethereal Haze stop the damage from channel
abilities of Jiwari, the Earth Aflame or Arashi, the Sky Asunder? I'd
say no as the creature cards in hand (and subsequently in the
graveyard) are never creatures.

In the same vein, I think that one *can* kill Beloved Chaplain by
cycling Gempalm Incinerator (if there are enough Goblins in play)...

Regards,
Arkady.

Ethereal Haze
Instant - Arcane
Prevent all damage that would be dealt by creatures this turn.

Jiwari, the Earth Aflame
3RR
Legendary Creature - Spirit
3/3
XR, T: Jiwari, the Earth Aflame deals X damage to target creature
without flying.
Channel - XRRR, Discard Jiwari: Jiwari deals X damage to each
creature without flying.

Arashi, the Sky Asunder
3GG
Legendary Creature - Spirit
5/5
XG, T: Arashi, the Sky Asunder deals X damage to target creature with
flying.
Channel - XGG, Discard Arashi: Arashi deals X damage to each creature
with flying.

Beloved Chaplain
1W
Creature - Cleric
1/1
Protection from creatures

Gempalm Incinerator
2R
Creature - Goblin
2/1
Cycling 1R (1R, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
When you cycle Gempalm Incinerator, you may have it deal X damage to
target creature, where X is the number of Goblins in play.

On 27 Jun 2005 11:02:04 -0700, Zarin <arkadyz1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a question: does Ethereal Haze stop the damage from channel
>abilities

No.

>of Jiwari, the Earth Aflame or Arashi, the Sky Asunder? I'd
>say no as the creature cards in hand (and subsequently in the
>graveyard) are never creatures.

Correct. If it meant "creatures or creature cards" it would say so; it's
just an improved Fog that gets noncombat damage from creatures also.

>In the same vein, I think that one *can* kill Beloved Chaplain by
>cycling Gempalm Incinerator (if there are enough Goblins in play)...

No - here the rules are clear and the -rules- essentially say 'creatures or
creature cards'. "If the quality is a type, subtype, or supertype, the
protection applies to sources that are permanents with that type, subtype, or
supertype and to any sources not in play that are of that type, subtype, or
supertype." (502.7a) covers creatures in play and creature cards not in play.
It's like "protection from Goblins" would also prevent the damage from Gempalm
Incinerator's triggered-by-cycling-it ability - it is a Goblin card and
is a creature card. (Protection's not limited to "from permanents with that
quality", or "from creatures with that quality", in other words.)

Dave

Maz

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

sorry got it wrong with the incinerator ;)

502.7a Protection is a static ability, written "Protection from
[quality].� This quality is usually a color (as in "protection from
black�) but can be any characteristic value. If the quality is a type,
subtype, or supertype, the protection applies to sources that are
permanents with that type, subtype, or supertype and to any sources not
in play that are of that type, subtype, or supertype.

so it also includes creature cards (= creatures not in play)