Damage from a Source Question

Hi,

My opponent has in play

Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo -Legendary Creature - Fox Samuri
1WW
1/4
Bushido 1; defender
T: The next time a source of your choice would deal damage this turn, that
damage is dealt to ~ instead
1W: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be delt to ~ this turn.

And one

Isamaru, Hound of Konda - Legendary Creature - Hound
2/2

and that is all that is in play other than Lands.

I then want to play

Barbed Lightning - Instant
2R
Choose one - ~ deals 3 damage to target creature; or ~ deals 3 damage to
target player.
Entwine 2

paying the Entwine cost. I wish to target his Hound and my opponent.

Q: If my opponent taps Opal-Eye for its first ability - does Opal-Eye take
one of the 3 damages? If so, does my opponent choose which one? Or, does the
Opal-Eye take the "whole" source and take 6 damage?

Look forward to your comments

Regards,
NazMan

"NazMan" <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> My opponent has in play
> Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo
> And one
> Isamaru, Hound of Konda
> and that is all that is in play other than Lands.
>
> I then want to play
> Barbed Lightning
> paying the Entwine cost. I wish to target his Hound and my opponent.
>
> Q: If my opponent taps Opal-Eye for its first ability - does Opal-Eye take
> one of the 3 damages? If so, does my opponent choose which one? Or, does the
> Opal-Eye take the "whole" source and take 6 damage?

It affects the *next* time that the *one* source would deal damage. In
this case, the Barbed Lightning would deal 3 to the Hound, and then 3
to your opponent. Using Opal-Eye's ability (choosing the Barbed
Lightning as the source) creates a replacement effect, which then
modifies the first time the Lightning would deal damage. The net
effect is that the Lightning will deal 3 to Opal-Eye and 3 to your
opponent.

The answer would be different if it modified "damage that a source
would do this turn", or some other duration other than just "the next
time that the source would do damage". But since it only stops the
first time that the source does damage, that's all that it stops.

Please post again if you have any more questions.

--
Peter C.
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:24:16 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> My opponent has in play
>
>Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo -Legendary Creature - Fox Samuri
>1/4 Bushido 1; defender Tap: The next time a source of your choice would deal
> damage this turn, that damage is dealt to ~ instead / 1W: Prevent the next 1
> damage that would be delt to ~ this turn.

>And one
>
>Isamaru, Hound of Konda - Legendary Creature - Hound
>2/2
>
>and that is all that is in play other than Lands.

Okay.

I did see your Subject: header, oddly enough (for me); notice that Opal-Eye's
first ability affects damage dealt at the same time from one source, regardless
of how many points ... but its second prevents 1 point, and doesn't care what
the source is.

>I then want to play
>
>Barbed Lightning - Instant
>Choose one - ~ deals 3 damage to target creature; or ~ deals 3 damage to
>target player. / Entwine 2

>paying the Entwine cost. I wish to target his Hound and my opponent.

Okay.

Checking the rules, because it will be important in a minute: if you pay the
Entwine cost, you perform both modes' effects in the order written on the
card. (Rather than "at the same time".) So an Entwined Barbed Lightning
deals damage twice for 3 each, one after the other... not "once for 6
damage, three here and three there".

>Q: If my opponent taps Opal-Eye for its first ability - does Opal-Eye take
>one of the 3 damages? If so, does my opponent choose which one? Or, does the
>Opal-Eye take the "whole" source and take 6 damage?

The entwined Barbed Lightning will deal 3 damage and then another 3 damage.
So Opal-Eye's first ability only 'redirects' the _next_ time it would deal
damage ... which is the first 3 damage, the 3 aimed at the creature. The
3 aimed at the player is dealt a moment later (but still during resolution)
and by that time the Opal-Eye shield has been used up and isn't there any
more.

Compare this to Bloodfire Colossus: "R,Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 6 damage to each
creature and each player.". This damage is all dealt at the same time, and is
all from the same source - the Colossus - so one use of Opal-Eye, naming the
already-sacrificed Colossus (while the ability is on the stack) as the source,
would cause Opal-Eye to take all 6(M+2) damage.

Dave